+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rift and processaffinitymask.

Default Rift and processaffinitymask.

It is possible to make in rift.cfg file?

I have some problem with core load. When i`am playing Rift, my CPU loaded in this way: Core1-20%, core2-25%, core3-100%,core4-40%.

All video settings on maximum, and i have 25 fps with 800x600 and 1920x1080, in both modes. It seems like my FPS capped with my CPU.

I want manage threads manualy.

My specs:
    Athlon II X4 635
    HD5770
    4 GB RAM
    Windows 7 Basic x64
    PSU 420W

(English isn't native)

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    All video settings on maximum, and i have 25 fps with 800x600 and 1920x1080, in both modes. It seems like my FPS capped with my CPU.
    Changing resolution & the fps remain the same is a good indication the processor is bottlenecking. Your cpu is loading normally, setting affinity willdo nothing for performance.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    Changing resolution & the fps remain the same is a good indication the processor is bottlenecking. Your cpu is loading normally, setting affinity willdo nothing for performance.
    I think the uniform load distribution should lead to an increase FPS

Rift Disciple

you need a better cpu ....

(Perhaps try all video setting on minium.)
    Last edited by Struikrover; 02-09-2011 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Struikrover View Post
    you need a better cpu ....

(Perhaps try all video setting on minium.)

Why? My three other cores do nothing. It is problem of Rift, not CPU.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    I think the uniform load distribution should lead to an increase FPS
    You can speculate all you want. Fact is you need a faster processor, uniform load is not going to increase your fps. You need raw Mhz for this game.

You've already confirmed the fact. Changing resolution & FPS remain the same is a surefire indication that your processor limited.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

Telaran

I think OP have a point.

Sure the 635 might not be a performance moster but on the other hand it's clear the game itself need some work aswell.

I get about 50 maby 60% cpu usage on my i5 on all 4 cores, and my gpu isn't fully utilized either.
    I allso seen ppl with even better cpus having the same issue, hopefully we'll see some more optimizations to the game and maby we get some nice gfx driver updates that will help aswell.

This has nothing to do with bottlenecking. The x4 635 sure is not something special but it's able to "feed" a lot more powerful video cards than 5770. Grab a random review from the net if you still have doubts. This is just poor optimization of drivers and the game itself. A lot of ppl with a lot better rigs complain about the same problems with Rift.
    Last edited by Shalina; 02-09-2011 at 05:15 AM.
    Officer of Vengeance Of The Fallen
    www.votf-online.net
    Whitefall EU PvP
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssus View Post
    Quick! someone close this fail-rift before it spawns any more derps!

Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    You can speculate all you want. Fact is you need a faster processor, uniform load is not going to increase your fps. You need raw Mhz for this game.

You've already confirmed the fact. Changing resolution & FPS remain the same is a surefire indication that your processor limited.
    And what he is saying is the game is only using one of his processing cores.... so your points is moot. If it were magically load balancing across all four, it would be a net gain in processing time.

Edit: I never thought to check how it was dealing with my i7, I will check this next beta for sure. It did seem a tad below par and the GPU was never tapped, so in retrospect, this could have been the same issue. How can a brand new, shiny game not properly support multiple processors =/
    Last edited by Naria; 02-09-2011 at 09:20 AM.

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

Plane Touched

Got too love the people screaming that you need a better cpu when a lot of people are having this issue and low frame rates on some really good computers, ones that are capable of running games much better in graphics than those of Rift. Their is clearly some issues going on with the Rift client at the moment and telling people too just upgrade for the sake of it is just bad advice. While Rift as well as most games will run well with more Mhz thrown at it do Trion expect the majority of people too not be able too play this game?
    I have the same issue myself actually and this is on a 965 BE running at 3.4gig with a 480gtx and still I get crappy frame rates with my 2nd core sitting at 100% and the other 3 sitting around 20% while running Rift. I guess that the people who expect even more mhz than 3.4 are expecting an awful lot of people too not be able too run the game.

Soulwalker

That processor, even being AMD (=slow compared to Intel CPU's) and not being top of the line processor in AMD's arsenal, it's quite enough capable to handle stress Rift and OS causes. I run a way older quad core, 9550 BE and it has no problems running this game. Athlon II X4 635 is slightly better than old Phenom II 9950, so I can't imagine how it could be bottleneck in this case when I'm also running with a better GPU. I could believe bottlenecking if he had have fps differences with 800x600 and 1920x1080 resolution changes. That's because lower resolution causes less stress to GPU and that means that then GPU causes also less stress to CPU. This can be see in higher fps results. As simple as that.

I think the problem in this case not related to CPU itself, and the cause is in between Rift and OS. (API).
    Last edited by Jabi; 02-09-2011 at 10:12 AM.

It's a not-so-simple issue of multi-threading and load balancing, Essentially, the game is only using the full potential of one of many processors and barely, if at all, processing on the others.

The issue is out there, and the fix apparent, we only now await them doing so, and giving near-everyone a massive performance boost, as almost all processors are multi-core these days. though this impacts those of use with 4 or more even more significantly, as generally the more processors, the less focus on clock-speed, for heat concerns. Not enough games, or applications period are optimized for 2 threads, let alone 4, or even 8 for those of us on an i7 with hyperthreading.

I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

Telaran

Rift (like most games) probably only uses one or two threads and clearly one of them is occupying 100% of a core and limiting performance. Not much that can be done without getting a faster CPU.

Problem seems the multithreading. Obviously it's not very well optimized. If the games uses at least 2 cores normally it wont be much issue but the fact that most of the ppl with quad-hexa cores are getting a 100% loaded core while the others are 5-10% is ridiculous. Ofc this leads to poor performance of your video since most of the new video cards from the past year or even two are quite the monsters and 1 core obviously can't handle it since the other 3+ are passive and not doing anything. Here comes the other problem - poorly optimized drivers. And ofc poorly optimized game engine... meh...
    Last edited by Shalina; 02-09-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Officer of Vengeance Of The Fallen
    www.votf-online.net
    Whitefall EU PvP
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssus View Post
    Quick! someone close this fail-rift before it spawns any more derps!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by RyuzakiPower View Post
    And what he is saying is the game is only using one of his processing cores.... so your points is moot. If it were magically load balancing across all four, it would be a net gain in processing time.

Edit: I never thought to check how it was dealing with my i7, I will check this next beta for sure. It did seem a tad below par and the GPU was never tapped, so in retrospect, this could have been the same issue. How can a brand new, shiny game not properly support multiple processors =/
    I know what he is saying, I can read & type if you didn't notice. Also, the game will only do that if you've got it minimized like the OP does. If your in game running around it won't do this. Try it for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorat View Post
    Rift (like most games) probably only uses one or two threads and clearly one of them is occupying 100% of a core and limiting performance. Not much that can be done without getting a faster CPU.
    Rift does utilize quad core, albeit not overly efficient but it still does utilize 4 cores.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeDs View Post
    Got too love the people screaming that you need a better cpu when a lot of people are having this issue and low frame rates on some really good computers, ones that are capable of running games much better in graphics than those of Rift. Their is clearly some issues going on with the Rift client at the moment and telling people too just upgrade for the sake of it is just bad advice. While Rift as well as most games will run well with more Mhz thrown at it do Trion expect the majority of people too not be able too play this game?
    I have the same issue myself actually and this is on a 965 BE running at 3.4gig with a 480gtx and still I get crappy frame rates with my 2nd core sitting at 100% and the other 3 sitting around 20% while running Rift. I guess that the people who expect even more mhz than 3.4 are expecting an awful lot of people too not be able too run the game.
    No one is screaming anything, His processor will run the game fine no one said it wouldnt. If the OP wants more FPS he needs a faster processor it's that simple. Pretty straight forward.

I never see 100% cpu usage on my processor, actually never even close to 100%. However;, BOTH Gpu's are ALWAYS sitting at or near 100% usage, why do you think that is?
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast