+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Digital download necessary if beta already downloaded?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default Digital download necessary if beta already downloaded?

    I've been playing the beta, and downloaded the 7.5gb game onto the computer. Since that download took over 11 hours, I was wondering if I purchase the digital download of the game, will i have to completely re-download Rift, or is it simply a patch when the game goes live? I really don't want to spend all day on release day downloading the game when I the physical copy somewhere. Thanks

    Cornix

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple Omniverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Mind you this is a guess based on other games I have played.... but no, you won't have to DL again.

    It should update itself to retail when the time comes.


    Guardian of Kindred Spirits on the Greybriar Shard - It's in the player!

  3. #3
    Rift Master Tristam_Izumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Beta client and release client are going to be two separate clients. As quoted from the Pre-Order FAQ in the general forums,

    Will Retail CE pre-orders access the head start the same way we accessed beta through a download, or will we receive the physical game early?
    Beta and Head Start are two different clients; each will require their own download. As long as you have applied a pre-order key to your account, you'll be able to download the launch client and play in the Head Start. We'll post more information about downloading the launch client in the coming weeks.
    "By the data to date, there is only one animal in the Galaxy dangerous to man man himself. So he must supply his own indispensable competition. He has no enemy to help him." - Lazarus Long

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tristam_Izumi View Post
    Beta client and release client are going to be two separate clients. As quoted from the Pre-Order FAQ in the general forums,
    Ugh...Thanks Tristam. I appreciate the heads-up.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple Omniverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Well... thats kind of lame.

    Would be a lot easier, and less stressful on their DL servers if they just patched the beta to retail...


    Guardian of Kindred Spirits on the Greybriar Shard - It's in the player!

  6. #6
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Oh, geez...that IS lame. Much prefer the patching idea. I wonder what the rationale is for doing it Trion's way.

  7. #7
    Rift Master Leiloni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    662

    Default

    If the download/install process took you 11 hours there is something wrong with your connection that you might want to take a look at. It took me an hour or so tops which seems to be the average.

    Take a look at this thread regarding long downloads - http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...s-insane/page3
    Last edited by Leiloni; 02-09-2011 at 12:44 PM.

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leiloni View Post
    If the download/install process took you 11 hours there is something wrong with your connection that you might want to take a look at. It took me an hour or so tops which seems to be the average.

    Take a look at this thread regarding long downloads - http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...s-insane/page3
    Sigh...believe it or not, the connection is fine. I have AT&T DSL (SUX!) which is only available at 1.5 Mbps, which reduces to only about 150 kbs transfer rate. Since AT&T only guarantees .8 Mbps download, then my speed is within their tolerances. If there is a way to increase the transfer rate by opening up some ports, I'm all ears and could use any advice anyone has. I've opened up tons already though for WoW, so not sure if the same ports are used. Thanks

  9. #9
    Rift Master Leiloni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cornix View Post
    Sigh...believe it or not, the connection is fine. I have AT&T DSL (SUX!) which is only available at 1.5 Mbps, which reduces to only about 150 kbs transfer rate. Since AT&T only guarantees .8 Mbps download, then my speed is within their tolerances. If there is a way to increase the transfer rate by opening up some ports, I'm all ears and could use any advice anyone has. I've opened up tons already though for WoW, so not sure if the same ports are used. Thanks
    I wish I knew the answer to that question. I'm sure some other posters do so hopefully they'll post. All I have for you is a major sadface for DSL!

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple Emarithiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    112

    Default

    You wont get any acceleration on the download if you are on a 1.5Mbps connection, about 150kBps would be your max dl speed.

    Sorry.

  11. #11
    Champion Naria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Maine, US
    Posts
    555

    Default

    I will say, that there would be no harm in copying over the data from the beta client, and doing a repair in the patcher... potentially there's some data not modified since the last version, and you cut out some of the data you need to DL. This is my plan. Worst case, they do it in such a way that it breaks things, and you reinstall the patcher, and you're no better or worse off than before.

    I did a bunch of things and a bunch of stuff; now I'm just a casual player.

  12. #12
    Shadowlander boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    RIT
    Posts
    48

    Default

    If it wasn't a separate client I think people who got beta access without buying it would be able to copy files over from someone who did buy it, and get a "retail" copy of the game for free. Of course they'd need to still pay monthly...

    I'm bummed to hear this though, I want to play as soon as possible on Feb 24th. I assume it's going to be a midnight download?

  13. #13
    Rift Master Leiloni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    If it wasn't a separate client I think people who got beta access without buying it would be able to copy files over from someone who did buy it, and get a "retail" copy of the game for free. Of course they'd need to still pay monthly...

    I'm bummed to hear this though, I want to play as soon as possible on Feb 24th. I assume it's going to be a midnight download?
    I don't think so, that's why they have game codes to prevent that sort of thing. Even if you could get a retail client you wouldn't be able to log in until you applied a retail code to your account (in addition of course to setting up a subscription plan). You can only get retail codes from buying the game.
    Last edited by Leiloni; 02-09-2011 at 07:12 PM.

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Naria View Post
    I will say, that there would be no harm in copying over the data from the beta client, and doing a repair in the patcher... potentially there's some data not modified since the last version, and you cut out some of the data you need to DL. This is my plan. Worst case, they do it in such a way that it breaks things, and you reinstall the patcher, and you're no better or worse off than before.
    Not a bad idea, Naria. I might try that as well. If not, I have a friend with 12Mbps connection and I'll just take the box over to her house to download.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts