+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Thoughts on this rig from EBAY....

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple Lucid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default Thoughts on this rig from EBAY....

    I would have them add Win 7 Ultimate, 575 W Power Supply and add in my ATI HD 6850. I know it's a risk from EBAY but they seem legit and spoke with them on the phone. I also do not see how this rig would not run Rift on Ulta settings but maybe I'm missing something.

    Cheers!

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

  2. #2
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Looks pretty average. There's a few things that stand out to me.

    1) They don't list the motherboard, so assume its a cheap all in 1 Matx or similar
    2) They are using cheap/slow DDR3 1066
    3) Slow 8M cache Seagate Hard drive

    That said, with a decent power supply & a 6850 you should definitely be pushing close to High, dunno about Ultra.
    Last edited by C-BuZz; 02-08-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

  3. #3
    Ascendant Krimian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    England, Manchester
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    Looks pretty average. There's a few things that stand out to me.

    1) They don't list the motherboard, so assume its a cheap all in 1 Matx or similar
    2) They are using cheap/slow DDR3 1066
    3) Slow 8M cache Seagate Hard drive

    That said, with a decent power supply & a 6850 you should definitely be pushing close to High, dunno about Ultra.
    That said, For that price i wouldn't do it, I could build a better one for less.

    ~ Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For Thou Art Crunchy and Go Well With Ketchup... ~
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.6GHz GPU: Nvidia Gainward GTX 580 GOOD Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR3 1600 PSU: Corsair HX850W

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple Lucid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Said they would use DDR3 1333 & the motherboard is MSI Military they said.

  5. #5
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krimian View Post
    That said, For that price i wouldn't do it, I could build a better one for less.
    But the OP does not want to build his own.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    Said they would use DDR3 1333 & the motherboard is MSI Military they said.
    Msi Milatary? LoL... a lot of the MSI motherboards (even the cheap ones) say they use Military class components (so they say). Ask what model motherboard.
    Last edited by C-BuZz; 02-08-2011 at 03:38 PM.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple Lucid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Thanks for the responses C. I'm not sure exactly what type but he told me there was a switch ON the motherboard that I could hit to overclock it. He told me for what I was doing I would not need to do this but it was a function of the mobo.

    To be honest I really thought about building my own but I simplly do not have the balls to /sigh. That being said I thought this looked pretty good, love that cpu, and for me I could not find a better deal with Best Buy, Newegg, Ibuypower and so fourth.

    p.s. He did tell me the model but I can't remember it. He seemed very honest, I know that's not saying much, but he was pleasant.
    Last edited by Lucid; 02-08-2011 at 03:42 PM.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Krimian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    England, Manchester
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    But the OP does not want to build his own.
    I never once stated he wanted to build his own, He could if he wanted to use a 3rd party retailer to build the computer to his specifications, which then in turn would deliver it to his door.

    ~ Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For Thou Art Crunchy and Go Well With Ketchup... ~
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.6GHz GPU: Nvidia Gainward GTX 580 GOOD Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR3 1600 PSU: Corsair HX850W

  8. #8
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Check out this guy, you can change the CPu,GPU,PSU on the configuration half way down the page & still end up with a cheaper/better system.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-PHENOM-II-92...item5adef14598
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple Lucid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Actually it comes out almost the exact same lol. Remember I need a hard drive, RAM, OS (with the one above he is giving me Win 7 Ultimate ;) etc.
    Last edited by Lucid; 02-08-2011 at 03:51 PM.

  10. #10
    Ascendant Krimian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    England, Manchester
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    Check out this guy, you can change the CPu,GPU,PSU on the configuration half way down the page & still end up with a cheaper/better system.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-PHENOM-II-92...item5adef14598
    Thats exactly what he should do More bang for buck

    ~ Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For Thou Art Crunchy and Go Well With Ketchup... ~
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.6GHz GPU: Nvidia Gainward GTX 580 GOOD Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR3 1600 PSU: Corsair HX850W

  11. #11
    Shadowlander oljemannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NOR
    Posts
    37

    Default

    The thing is, rift isnt properly optimized yet, it eats hardware like no other, when its optimized you'll run ultra just fine. Your ATI HD 6850 and that phenom cpu should do just fine. My old intel E6850(3.00ghz) dualcore , slow 4gb ram and raden hd 4890 runs rift fine on high@1920x1080, shadows off.

    The ram is more than fast enough, the cpu is enough, the motherboard supports future updates to your machinery and its MSI, you cant go wrong with MSI.
    No need to overkill it, the price for the ebay rig in the link is fine.
    Last edited by oljemannen; 02-08-2011 at 04:03 PM.

  12. #12
    Rift Disciple Lucid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oljemannen View Post
    The thing is, rift isnt properly optimized yet, it eats hardware like no other, when its optimized you'll run ultra just fine. Your ATI HD 6850 and that phenom cpu should do just fine. My old intel 6850 dualcore and raden hd 4890 is running rift fine on high.

    The ram is more than fast enough, the cpu is enough, the motherboard supports future updates to your machinery and its MSI, you cant go wrong with MSI.
    No need to overkill it, the price for the ebay rig in the link is fine.
    Thanks O! Yeah I think some people want me to get the best parts around but I'm not looking to run anything but RIft and be able to do some upgrades. I know everyone means well and I really appreciate the tips and advice but yeah for someone who does not know too much about rigs I thought it looked like a pretty good buy, certainly better then anything at Best Buy, etc. right?

  13. #13
    Shadowlander oljemannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NOR
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    Thanks O! Yeah I think some people want me to get the best parts around but I'm not looking to run anything but RIft and be able to do some upgrades. I know everyone means well and I really appreciate the tips and advice but yeah for someone who does not know too much about rigs I thought it looked like a pretty good buy, certainly better then anything at Best Buy, etc. right?
    Yes to your question at the bottom. :P
    I read allot of reviews on your card, and it should be more than enough. Just google your cards name and the word "review" after it.
    With the latest drivers people say they get a good and steady 40-50 fps on the 6850 on ultra with no AA! (On this forum)
    Last edited by oljemannen; 02-08-2011 at 04:08 PM.

  14. #14
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oljemannen View Post
    when its optimized you'll run ultra just fine.
    I wouldn't put any money on that just yet mate. It's a brand new game, do you just expect to crank every setting up to the absolute max & expect it to run perfectly?

    I know I don't.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

  15. #15
    Shadowlander oljemannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NOR
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-BuZz View Post
    I wouldn't put any money on that just yet mate. It's a brand new game, do you just expect to crank every setting up to the absolute max & expect it to run perfectly?

    I know I don't.
    Thats not what i said.
    Thats why i said the word "When" ;)
    Cranking it up now is fine, but its the random fps drops for no reason that kill even the toughest rigs out there, this will get fixed in time. Its all about optimisation. The hd 6850 should be MORE than enough to run this game on ultra, according to the system requirements the 6850 is abit overkill.
    Last edited by oljemannen; 02-08-2011 at 04:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts