+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: Question for PC builders.

  1. #1
    Telaran Blobb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    43

    Question Question for PC builders.

    Which is better and why

    ATI
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...56&subcat=1515

    Nvidia
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...14&subcat=1830

    Thinking about getting one of them for an upgrade, using Nvidia 260GTX at the moment.
    These are the cards that i can afford with my budget.

  2. #2
    Telaran Blobb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    43

    Default

    anyone care to answer? =/
    Kinda stuck on what to get

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    460 is much better.
    its almost twice the 5770

  4. #4
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Both cards are fairly decent, but the 460 beats the 5770 in pretty much everything. Not to mention the issues with Ati cards & rift. The choice for me would easily be the 460.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

  5. #5
    Ascendant Krimian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    England, Manchester
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    As previously said, The 460 beats the 5770 by far, Also make sure your PSU can power it along with the rest of your system.

    ~ Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For Thou Art Crunchy and Go Well With Ketchup... ~
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.6GHz GPU: Nvidia Gainward GTX 580 GOOD Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR3 1600 PSU: Corsair HX850W

  6. #6
    Telaran Blobb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Well i think mine is a 600 at the moment, since im using a 260 GTX.

    But im not sure, and i looked inside case and the psu has no number indicating what size it is. Anyway to find out?

  7. #7
    Ascendant Krimian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    England, Manchester
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobb View Post
    Well i think mine is a 600 at the moment, since im using a 260 GTX.

    But im not sure, and i looked inside case and the psu has no number indicating what size it is. Anyway to find out?
    Really depends on the PSU and its placement inside the case, all the info on mines is on the top between the case roof fans and the PSU itself. The info should look something like this.

    ~ Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For Thou Art Crunchy and Go Well With Ketchup... ~
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.6GHz GPU: Nvidia Gainward GTX 580 GOOD Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR3 1600 PSU: Corsair HX850W

  8. #8
    Rift Chaser Tony`'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    365

    Default

    those cards aren't even on the same level hence the prices.

  9. #9
    Telaran Grond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    81

    Default

    I run a pair of 5770' and it crushes Rift. Do not listen to peoples opinions on this board as your sole means of information. Get info from outside sources please. The 5770 scales EXTREMELY well in crossfire. This is not a dig at team Green, I am just trying to get facts out there.

    ~G

  10. #10
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    I run a pair of 5770' and it crushes Rift. Do not listen to peoples opinions on this board as your sole means of information. Get info from outside sources please. The 5770 scales EXTREMELY well in crossfire. This is not a dig at team Green, I am just trying to get facts out there.

    ~G
    True, the 5770 is a good card & it does scale very well in Xfire. However, it doesn't really matter what source you go to to get this info from, the 460 crushes the 5770 by around 35-40% across the board.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobb View Post
    Which is better and why

    ATI
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...56&subcat=1515

    Nvidia
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...14&subcat=1830

    Thinking about getting one of them for an upgrade, using Nvidia 260GTX at the moment.
    These are the cards that i can afford with my budget.
    Google "Passmark video card" and see the chart for yourself

    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

    460 is faster but more expensive and the 5770 is not as fast but cheaper. I'm an AMD guy but I'd go with the 460 if you're set on these two cards.
    Last edited by jp74; 02-08-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5, AMD Phenom II X4 965, AC Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 (30C idle), 8GB G Skill DDR3, Gigabyte GV-R685OC-1GD, COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700, 1 TB WD, Thermaltake V9 Black Edition case, 23" Acer H233H @1080p via HDMI

  12. #12
    Telaran Blobb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    43

    Default

    OK i found out my psu an its 750.

    Also done research an it turns out what i have at the moment requires more power and is 2inches longer the the 460GTX.

    So i can definately run the 460.


    Thanks for your help guys, purchasing 460 soon !

  13. #13
    Champion of Telara Forum Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    The only reason to buy an ATI card is if you can't afford a quality Nvidia card. Truth.
    My computer
    Proud member of the Forum Troll fan club.

  14. #14
    Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chi-Town
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jp74 View Post
    Google "Passmark video card" and see the chart for yourself

    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

    460 is faster but more expensive and the 5770 is not as fast but cheaper. I'm an AMD guy but I'd go with the 460 if you're set on these two cards.
    sorry but that website is utter JUNK, it's only real purpose is to push their own proprietary software, none of which can be verified, the results are questionable at best, they don't have multi-GPU working and system results aren't comparable. There are many many other websites that test ACTUAL games, with different resolutions/settings etc and compile them into graphs:

    TechReport.com
    Anandtech.com
    Techpowerup.com
    Computerbase.de
    tomshardwareguide.com
    Guru3d.com
    Hardocp.com

    are just a few.. don't rely upon 1 graph that uses unspecified "2D and 3D directX" tests simply to say "this card is better than that card"
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Troll View Post
    The only reason to buy an ATI card is if you can't afford a quality Nvidia card. Truth.
    Nope !

    HD5970 eat everything up to present date.

    Depends on drivers / games / overall system....

    ty.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts