+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To anyone asking for help

Shadowlander

Default To anyone asking for help

If you ask a technical question about your computer, please list all of it's important components and their specs. I don't know how many forums I've read over where people ask something like, "Can I use a xxxx video card? I have a core 2 duo at xxx GHz and xx of ram." ... Give a little more info on the system being used if you want an accurate answer. For instance, a motherboard and power supply could make the difference on that question..

It just makes it tough to assess problems if you don't give a proper description of your rig. On top of that, if there is a question about the original posters components, then people that wanna help have to wait on them to reply and who knows how long that could take..

Most questioned component types and what you should list about them:
    Processor - type and speed; Ram - type and speed; Motherboard (specific name if possible); Video Card(s) - type (and clocks if possible); Power Supply - type and output; Hard Drive(s) - type, size, input/output speeds; Operating System; Coolers - type and on what component.

Obviously, depending on the issue, you don't always have to list all of the components. But if you aren't sure about one parts relevance to another, it's best to just list anything you know or can dig up on your system.

Most of that info can be looked up by right clicking "My Computer" and clicking on properties. Then you click on Device Manager. Using the drop downs will give you pretty basic info and at least enough to go online and figure out specifics by going to the manufacturers website and matching it up or finding info on your question yourself with a simple search and save yourself time.

Default Example

Yeah, it is a peeve of mine when people fail to post system details when looking for information or posting 'performance'
    data without providing at least the sort of thing in my sig.

So, there is an example for some of you below:
    Windows 7 64bit, Mobo: Abit IP-35 Pro, CPU: Intel Core 2 E8500 OC@3.60hz, RAM 4GB, GPU: Nvidia GTX 580: (Pre 03/2011 was GTX 285, Driver 197.45)
    Sound: Realtek, Monitor LG 24 inch Dell U2410 at 1920x1280, Mouse: Logitech G5 with v4.80 64 bit Setpoint drivers.
    Keyboard: Logitech G15

Yeah sure is annoying when someone with a stock Dell or HP comes here asking questions and people don't educate them on how to obtain said information. I mean its in the FAQ stickied at the top isn't?

Here's a question, I am looking to either buy a gtx460 or a radeon 5850, would either of these cards make a noticeable difference on my PC?

AMD Phenom 9150e quad core 1.8 gz
    5.00 gb ram
    vista 64
    500 psu
    radeon 4850

I do not have enough money to buy a new rig. But I do have enough to purchase either of those above cards listed, I just want to know if either of them will make a difference on my PC. Thanks in advance!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by xdancp View Post
    Here's a question, I am looking to either buy a gtx460 or a radeon 5850, would either of these cards make a noticeable difference on my PC?

5.00 gb ram
    vista 64
    500 psu
    radeon 4850

I do not have enough money to buy a new rig. But I do have enough to purchase either of those above cards listed, I just want to know if either of them will make a difference on my PC. Thanks in advance!
    Your cpu is so slow you probably wont even notice the difference. I'd be upgrading that cpu & possibly PSU before anything else.
    2600K@5.3Ghz
    XFX GTX580@960
    28" 1920x1200
    SuperNerd

It'd be nice if they add a simliar function as to what www.sevenforums.com has on their forums.

A neat little drop down box where the user uploads his rig information that can be accessed from any of their posts.
    Last edited by Krimian; 02-08-2011 at 03:01 PM.

~ Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For Thou Art Crunchy and Go Well With Ketchup... ~
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.6GHz GPU: Nvidia Gainward GTX 580 GOOD Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR3 1600 PSU: Corsair HX850W

Shadowlander

5.00 gb ram
    vista 64
    500 psu
    radeon 4850

Well, a GTX 460 only draws 150w. So a 500w power supply should be okay depending on your other components' power draw. However, even though it is a quad core processor, I have to agree with the previous reply - you really should replace the cpu as well, or at the very least, overclock it so it can be more productive.

Wow maybe i should compile a list of useful software and try to get it stickied.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.4 GHz RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 MOBO: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Case: Cooler Master ATCS 840

GPU: Crossfired Dual XFX ATI HD 5850 PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800 W modular PSU Storage: Western Digital Caviar black 1 TB x2 Raid 0

Keyboard: Logitech G110 Mouse: Logitech G9x O.S.: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Champion

5.00 gb ram
    vista 64
    500 psu
    radeon 4850

The video card should be fine, its your CPU that is holding you back.. if you know your motherboard it would help to post that. Often by upgrading your motherboard's BIOS you can add a up to date CPU,. quad cores are running about 2X faster and AMD just recently had a slew of price cuts and their Athlon II X4/Phenom X2 and X3s are great performers for CHEAP.

+ Reply to Thread