+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GTX 460 SE vs GTX 560

Telaran

Default GTX 460 SE vs GTX 560

I have recently purchased the GTX 460 SE...it left me wanting a little more. Is it worth the extra 70-80 bucks to get the 560? I am still within my 30 return policy with newegg.

Telaran

I would think so. The 500 series is said to have better cooling so they do not run as hot as the 400s. But check the web reviews and make up your own mind on which one is best for you based on cost and performance.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Mesander View Post
    I have recently purchased the GTX 460 SE...it left me wanting a little more. Is it worth the extra 70-80 bucks to get the 560? I am still within my 30 return policy with newegg.
    If you were going to buy a gtx 460 at all, you should have just gotten the regular instead of the SE version. Se only has 288 cuda cores as opposed to the 336 of the regular version. Additionally, it has a slightly slower lower core and memory clock speeds, a lower texture fill rate (6.6 billion/sec less) and a lower memory bandwidth.

If I were you, I would go GTX 500 anything over a 400 series for the extra cost. You're going to make out WAY better for what you get when compared to the 460 SE! Even the 560 TI beats it by a significant amount. Also, if you go 500 anything, you may as well shoot for the 570 if you can. 580's always get bought out or back ordered but the 70's are still ridiculously good!

If I were to get a 560, I would jump all over the Gigabyte SOC version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-362-_-Product
    Jiu Jitsu ftw

The 560 blows the 460 SE out of the water. I personally recommend either the EVGA GTX 560 or the MSI N560GTX. Regardless, it is a great card.

Soulwalker

<fact>

There is no excuse if you have 250 to spend to not get a GTX560.

There is no excuse if you have 350 to spend to not consider the GTX570.

</fact>

If the GTX 460 didn't make you happy, I think you've answered your own question. I also just bought a GTX 460 (upgraded from a 9500 GT) and I'm really happy with the performance upgrade. I can run Rift at ultra and at a good resolution with a very steady framerate, and that's enough for me. That's why I didn't want to spend another $100 or so (I got my GTX 460 for $140) on a 500 series card. Just don't see it being worth the extra $100 when a 460 will do what I'm looking for. But if it's not doing what you're looking for, well, spend the extra money on a faster card.
    Last edited by Trojanguy; 02-08-2011 at 05:05 PM.
    Proud member of Unrepentant: The pants-optional Defiant PvE guild on Gnarlwood

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Black9ice View Post
    <fact>

There is no excuse if you have 250 to spend to not get a GTX560.

There is no excuse if you have 350 to spend to not consider the GTX570.

</fact>
    = opinion (disguised as fact)

I'm getting decent performance with a GTX 460 1gb (not the SE). I'm considering adding another for SLI.

With the $250 budget, two GTX 460 768MB in SLI might be an option, with the right motherboard (or the sli hack.)
    Last edited by Alethos; 02-08-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Soulwalker

Please for the love of the gods read reviews and view benchmark charts at your current LCD resolution.

Stop trolling and claiming I am not being factual.

If we throw AMD/ATI into the mix it gets more intresting, but it is still fact as the numbers for performance do not lie.

Quote Originally Posted by SirPent View Post
    = opinion (disguised as fact)

+ Reply to Thread