+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need advice on hardware upgrade

Default need advice on hardware upgrade

i participated in the recent beta this past weekend and i loved the game, but i was only able to run it on the lower settings with 20ish fps in the wild. my problem seems to be my ram and gpu. i'm currently at 2gb of ram and using an nvidia geforce 7800. a bump up to 4gb of ram is a quick and relatively inexpensive aid, but would it be effective? or should i just focus on a new graphics card? i'll eventually upgrade both but for now i have to choose just one.

thanks in advance for input.
    Last edited by Duplicity; 02-08-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typo

If you're looking for a better visual performace you'll need to upgrade your graphics card. I you're with how the graphics currently look and want a slight upgrade to your system running smoothly get more RAM. This also has to do with what OS you run and if that OS is 64 bit or not. Also, if you run Windows Vista still, you really need to think about getting Windows 7. It is MILES beyond Vista as far as performance goes. Windows 7 actually runs with less memory and processes which will free up resources for gaming.

Both of what your trying to get upgraded needs to be upgraded, its just which do you perfer to upgrade first. Me, I'd spend the money on getting a good vid card.

Telaran

With Vista and 7 OS I would go with the 4Gb of ram as a first step.

That seems pretty good for a 7800. I have an 8300 and I definitely couldn't get that. Maybe when I was soloing but not in Sanctum or while rifting. If you played on low and can handle it I'd consider taking the ram up because that would be good for everything you do on your PC not just playing RIFT, however I can't remember the limits on the Windows OS' and their architecture. I'm thinking 4GB is the max for 32-bit, though I won't swear to it. I got a 64-bit OS simply so I didn't have to worry cause I doubt I'll ever upgrade it to it's max.

I'm also currently looking for a GPU upgrade, may I ask what you were considering getting? I was thinking about a Radeon HD 5770. It seems decent for the price. I definitely don't want to drop a couple to a few hundred considering I will probably only be playing RIFT for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Duplicity View Post
    i participated in the recent beta this past weekend and i loved the game, but i was only able to run it on the lower settings with 20ish fps in the wild. my problem seems to be my ram and gpu. i'm currently at 2gb of ram and using an nvidia geforce 7800. a bump up to 4gb of ram is a quick and relatively inexpensive aid, but would it be effective? or should i just focus on a new graphics card? i'll eventually upgrade both but for now i have to choose just one.

thanks in advance for input.
    Good lord. Nobody can give quality advice based on the lack of data you provided.

You don't' even mention what operating system you use, xp, vista, win 7, 32bit,64 bit, nor CPU specification, what basic screen rez you run (though it donnt seem to matter much with the cheesy game engine in this game), ETC.

ANyone just replying 'oh you should get vid card x' would be blowing smoke out of their *** without more information from you.

Signed, building PC's since 1985.
    Windows 7 64bit, Mobo: Abit IP-35 Pro, CPU: Intel Core 2 E8500 OC@3.60hz, RAM 4GB, GPU: Nvidia GTX 580: (Pre 03/2011 was GTX 285, Driver 197.45)
    Sound: Realtek, Monitor LG 24 inch Dell U2410 at 1920x1280, Mouse: Logitech G5 with v4.80 64 bit Setpoint drivers.
    Keyboard: Logitech G15

Quote Originally Posted by SoltanGris View Post
    Good lord. Nobody can give quality advice based on the lack of data you provided.

You don't' even mention what operating system you use, xp, vista, win 7, 32bit,64 bit, nor CPU specification, what basic screen rez you run (though it donnt seem to matter much with the cheesy game engine in this game), ETC.

ANyone just replying 'oh you should get vid card x' would be blowing smoke out of their *** without more information from you.

I feel like those of us gave decent advice base on what we were given. Nobody even recommended a graphics card. They said their ram and gpu seems to be their problem so maybe they know their processor is fine and not the issue. While knowing the OS and architecture would be nice I don't see how having to know the CPU and screen res is THAT big of a deal. Helpful, yes but not crucial. There are minimum specs to go on and people can base a decent amount on that they are given. At least give the person a break or benefit of the doubt. Maybe they don't know all that much about computers and need some help. You can be helpful without being a ****, you know?

You've built PC's since 1985, sure. We get it, you're "qualified" but use a little bit of professionalism.

Shadowlander

Haha Soltan.. I hear ya. So many posts like this with little or not enough info to make an informed, accurate assessment.

cool your jets, i'm sorry i'm not in tune as much as the rest of you guys, haha. if you wanted some more info you could have just asked nicely man

OS: Windows: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    Memory (RAM): 2046 MB
    CPU Info: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
    CPU Speed: 2788.9 MHz
    Sound Card: SB X-Fi Audio [CCE0]
    Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
    Monitors: 1x; Plug and Play Monitor |
    Screen Resolution: 1920 X 1080 - 32 bit

that should take care of it i hope. i apologize for not giving adequate info in the first place

Telaran

I think you are going to have to get a new comp. The CPU/motherboadr, video card looks to be just to old. Also Windows XP is at the end of it's life as Microsoft is no longer supporting it or making updates for it from what I have been reading for the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by Acornia View Post
    I think you are going to have to get a new comp. The CPU/motherboadr, video card looks to be just to old. Also Windows XP is at the end of it's life as Microsoft is no longer supporting it or making updates for it from what I have been reading for the past year.
    I second this.

Quote Originally Posted by Acornia View Post
    yeah, i wish that was an option for me right now. thanks for the advice though. i'm fairly confident that i can at least get this old coot running better, at least for this game with a new gpu and some ram. it's a dell xps600 from about 4-5 years ago.

Soulwalker

Im also thinking i have to upgrade my 8 yearold computer to experience the best gameplay possible for this.

Anyone have site recommendations?

To anyone reading this thread that wants to upgrade..

post what you have now.. entirely..(including power supply wattage and name brand..people often forget that)..
    and then give us a ballpark price on what you want to spend.

A lot of us pc-building geeks love to play with others people money and like to put together machines for you.

also -- newegg.com .. that's where we're all probably going to go to look at prices.

A GPU upgrade would help immensly, provided your motherboard could handle the new/current cards. However, that Pent D is going to seriously cap you. People with higher gen CPUs (ex: E8400) have mentioned data that implies their GPU is being CPU capped and cutting off framerate.

If you want to try you can upgrade just the GPU (though be sure you have the watts and amps to cover it) and test it out, but be prepared that you'll be CPU capped.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    A GPU upgrade would help immensly, provided your motherboard could handle the new/current cards. However, that Pent D is going to seriously cap you. People with higher gen CPUs (ex: E8400) have mentioned data that implies their GPU is being CPU capped and cutting off framerate.

If you want to try you can upgrade just the GPU (though be sure you have the watts and amps to cover it) and test it out, but be prepared that you'll be CPU capped.
    thanks man, i'll keep that in mind.

+ Reply to Thread