+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why do the forums time out???

Default Why do the forums time out???

This issue began about a month ago when you guys made some change - i think it was using our email as our login as opposed to our username.

Its really annoying today to try and offer feedback.I'll start replying to a post, get distracted by work, come back to it periodically and then eventually hit submit. I'll inevitably get the "thank you for logging in" page come up and my entire message is lost. Happened twice today and I wonder how much actual feedback you guys are losing due to this time-out bug. Let us stay logged in like it worked before.

I'm done feedbacking this week though since the work week has started and I can only feedback in spurts as opposed to sitting and posting all at once.

Soulwalker

How long are you leaving the session idle before returning to it?

Shadowlander

Simple -- You take too long to type out what you wanna say.. It's not uncommon. Why is this even here on a technical forum? ...

If you really are that busy that you can't get in all you wanna say between extra time at work - you can do you entire message and the page will not stop you. Just copy it all before you actually post it, that way you don't lose your work to that point. After you log back in, just paste it and done -
    Last edited by Viluzious; 02-08-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Viluzious View Post
    Simple -- You take too long to type out what you wanna say.. It's not uncommon. Why is this even here on a technical forum? ...

If you really are that busy that you can't get in all you wanna say between extra time at work - you can do you entire message and the page will not stop you. Just copy it all before you actually post it, that way you don't lose your work to that point. After you log back in, just paste it and done -
    IT NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. As I said in the initial post, it only started happening when they made the change to how we log into the forum - username/password.

And if not in the technical forum, where would it get your approval? Gameplay?? Tips and Tricks?? Pray tell where you awesome genius you.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Teshra View Post
    IT NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. As I said in the initial post, it only started happening when they made the change to how we log into the forum - username/password.

And if not in the technical forum, where would it get your approval? Gameplay?? Tips and Tricks?? Pray tell where you awesome genius you.
    I ask why it's here sarcastically, because there are better things to put into a tech forum, than worrying about a timed out browser. I apologize if you were offended by it. Follow my suggestion and it's no longer an issue other than having to sign in again if you're inactive for too long. Simple..

I mentioned this on the General forum a while ago. Zann seemed interested, but I guess he had something more important to deal with so the thread has been buried. I agree that this is annoying even if it is not game breaking. http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...into-the-Forum

I don't really get why they have a timeout like that in the first place. On most message boards I post on, I either never get automatically logged out, or not for at least 2 weeks.
    Proud member of Unrepentant: The pants-optional Defiant PvE guild on Gnarlwood

Quote Originally Posted by Adaire View Post
    I mentioned this on the General forum a while ago. Zann seemed interested, but I guess he had something more important to deal with so the thread has been buried. I agree that this is annoying even if it is not game breaking. http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...into-the-Forum
    Sorry I missed your thread Adaire. When I do a search, if I don't see any matching results among the first 10 or so, I don't keep scanning. Perhaps I didn't have matchable keywords to find yours but I recall seeing some that had been locked due to being asked about in previous betas. And they lock all beta threads a few days after beta is over.
    Last edited by Teshra; 02-08-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Champion

This issue began about a month ago when you guys made some change - i think it was using our email as our login as opposed to our username.

Its really annoying today to try and offer feedback.I'll start replying to a post, get distracted by work, come back to it periodically and then eventually hit submit. I'll inevitably get the "thank you for logging in" page come up and my entire message is lost. Happened twice today and I wonder how much actual feedback you guys are losing due to this time-out bug. Let us stay logged in like it worked before.

I'm done feedbacking this week though since the work week has started and I can only feedback in spurts as opposed to sitting and posting all at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adaire View Post
    Sorry I missed your thread Adaire. When I do a search, if I don't see any matching results among the first 10 or so, I don't keep scanning. Perhaps I didn't have matchable keywords to find yours but I recall seeing some that had been locked due to being asked about in previous betas. And they lock all beta threads a few days after beta is over.
    Yep and it is relatively short timer.. I've had it expire after spending 20 or so minutes constructing a rather long post with a lot of info links etc..

thats why i always make sure i copy my post before hitting submit especially if its a long one.
    When you're an adult, or at least over 21 in the states, you can walk into a store and as long as you have about $10, pick up what I like to call "video game fun enhancement serum" also known as "tomorrow I'm going to throw up in bed but holy **** I finally beat that boss last night. I think. **** I don't remember" occasionally also known as "I think I deleted my Oblivion save game." -Homebrew

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by katebot View Post
    thats why i always make sure i copy my post before hitting submit especially if its a long one.
    Ya I do NOW.. I am an active participant across several tech forums and THIS is the only one that I've had such an issue with, only neweggs Eggpert Zone exhibited a timeout after a couple hours of being inactive but hadn't had that happen in a while.

BTW I LOVE your sig graphic 89/49 !! lol

Sorry I missed your thread Adaire.
    No worries. I didn't figure that more than a few people had see it. I wanted you to know that others had similar problems and that it has been seen by Trion Staff.

I would be happy with a day long time out. The thirty minutes seems a bit short. Perhaps they have some problems with that and the login server?

+ Reply to Thread