+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Refresh Rates

Default Refresh Rates

Wile playing the last beta, I had noticed that my monitor was using the lower end refresh rate. In game settings gives you the ability to change your resolution but not the refresh rate.
    I was able to find the config file, with the system info, and seen the resolution in it but did not see a refresh rate.

Will we be able to adjust this in the future?
    This is my situation: Running at a resolution of 1024X768 the refresh rate in-game is at 75Hz, however my monitor at that resolution can support a refresh rate of 85Hz.
    Again, will we be able to change the refresh rate in-game, or will we be able to add it to that system config file?

Any thoughts on this would be great, and thanks ahead of time for any input on this.

All in all, very excited for this game and it's progression.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

First, what video card are you using?

Your video card might not support above 60Hz or 75hz..

if it does, then you need to configure it for higher refresh rates.

The vid card will support 85Hz, however when the game starts up, the game runs the 75Hz, instead of the 85Hz.
    Out of the game, if I switch my desktop to run 1024X768, it runs at 85Hz.
    It seems the game only wants to use 75Hz at 1024X768 instead of running at 85Hz, witch is what the card & monitor will support.
    By the by, running on a GeForce 8800GT.

Thanks again.

Shadowlander

It's only my opinion, but why would you wanna run at that resolution? I would go higher, if it's an option for you. Also, your eyes can't tell a difference at either of those refresh rates anyway. the only reason to worry about it, is if you're using 3D technology (which I don't believe that card would support anyway and your monitor needs to be able to push 120MHz) or if you want to manually set your refresh so as to lower the amount of work you video card has to do.

I like that resolution because it gives me the best performance with just the right amount of picture quality, that I'm satisfied with, running on this rig with a CRT.
    Your spot on, with not being able to notice the difference between 10Hz, and it's not really a big deal. I'm just being a nerd about it and wondering if they will have a refresh option setting, in the future.
    Thinking about it, I'm new to running Win 7, and it is in 64bit. Wondering if maybe its a windows issue?
    I guess, I'm wondering why the game, if it's game related, would use the lower setting of the two. As in maybe the game is only seeing the 1 refresh rate option.
    I know warcraft, after a patch, was using the lower of the two speeds, but I was able to go into the config, set it to the faster rate, then mark the file as a read only.
    Any whos.. Just some thoughts and it's defiantly not anything near a game breaker for me.

Thanks for the responses.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Norroth View Post
    I like that resolution because it gives me the best performance with just the right amount of picture quality, that I'm satisfied with, running on this rig with a CRT.
    Your spot on, with not being able to notice the difference between 10Hz, and it's not really a big deal. I'm just being a nerd about it and wondering if they will have a refresh option setting, in the future.
    Thinking about it, I'm new to running Win 7, and it is in 64bit. Wondering if maybe its a windows issue?
    I guess, I'm wondering why the game, if it's game related, would use the lower setting of the two. As in maybe the game is only seeing the 1 refresh rate option.
    I know warcraft, after a patch, was using the lower of the two speeds, but I was able to go into the config, set it to the faster rate, then mark the file as a read only.
    Any whos.. Just some thoughts and it's defiantly not anything near a game breaker for me.

Thanks for the responses.
    I very much doubt that the refresh issue is a Windows problem. It's obviously something to do with Rift if you manually set it and Rift changes it. Remember, this is still beta and it has some bugs and what not. They very well may give the option to change the refresh rate on release. I'm basing that assumption on the need for 3D playability where as you may have to bump it to 120. Or then again, it could just change it if it auto-detects 3D hardware/software. Who knows what they're gonna do for that.lol Also, I double checked on a previous statement I made. Your card is 3D ready, I was mistaken.

+ Reply to Thread