+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should I get this?

Default Should I get this?

I'm not sure if I should considering buy a new video card; I mean I haven't personally noticed anything wrong with my current 1 GB video card which lets me run mostly on high settings but not ultra. Someone mentioned that if I get a new monitor with hdmi input on it that I should get a new video card with hdmi input on it so that will make a huge difference in my picture versus a video card that has a dvi input???

I'm currently running these specs on my computer:

Intel Core 2 Duo
    6300 @ 1.86 GHz, 1.86 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    3 GB RAM
    XP SP 2

Probably Looking at this at the moment... for the price range and the video card capability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-591-_-Product

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Cirae View Post
    I'm not sure if I should considering buy a new video card; I mean I haven't personally noticed anything wrong with my current 1 GB video card which lets me run mostly on high settings but not ultra. Someone mentioned that if I get a new monitor with hdmi input on it that I should get a new video card with hdmi input on it so that will make a huge difference in my picture versus a video card that has a dvi input???

Intel Core 2 Duo
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    3 GB RAM
    XP SP 2

Probably Looking at this at the moment... for the price range and the video card capability.

I have that exact same card. Just bought it a week ago. It runs good on high and ultra however still gives a little on the FPS when in an intense Rift situation..if I were you I would consider 1 of 2 things. Either get a way better card ($200-$300 range) or purchase 2 of these and run SLI. Either way isnt very cheap. Probably should go with the 1st option...I say that because you are running an older machine that probably has a low-medium grade power supply.

I have a 750 Watt Power Supply

I think you'll be just fine if you turn down some settings. But the game isn't currently optimized well, so even high-end systems have been reporting bad FPS (and bad FPS is usually anything 60 frames and under for me).

Telaran

Intel Core 2 Duo
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    3 GB RAM
    XP SP 2

While I agree you could use a video card upgrade the hdmi/dvi aspect has nothing to do with it. A digital connection is a digital connection it doesn't matter. HDMI is simply DVI with audio as well, a dvi to hdmi converter will do fine and does not change the signal at all.

I never really bothered with looking at the FPS in game to be honest; I just noticed when i did high settings that sometimes I would witness screen tearing or pixelation dots in game from time to time.

Soulwalker

Id be careful about pushing a 8800 on this, a friend on mine friend his 8800gtx on AoC a while back.
    Not having access to the beta just yet I cant give an actual comparison but its an aging card and could use an upgrade.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

DVI vs HDMI? Read this article:
    http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/122868.html

For general computer use/gaming, HDMI = DVI with sound

You will not notice a difference.

Shadowlander

Intel Core 2 Duo
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    3 GB RAM
    XP SP 2

The video card is actually still pretty decent. With 128 stream processors clocked at 1.35 GHz, a core clock of 575 MHz, and 768 MB of 384-bit GDDR3 memory at 1.8 GHz (stock speeds) -- it's not the best, but still pretty good. I would actually consider upgrading your other components. You don't list it, but I best guess that you have an older mobo with a processor of that speed.

You can get a new mobo from $50 to $150 and get a competitive cpu - from a quad core at around $150 or, even an i5 at around $180. So even if you spend around $300 upgrading those instead of the video card, it'll allow you to upgrade any other components much easier in the future while making your current card more viable. A 2nd 8800 in sli wouldn't hurt either. I just think the other stuff is more important for what you have.

+ Reply to Thread