+ Reply to Thread

Thread: d3d9x_43.dll missing, fresh install, new PC

Default d3d9x_43.dll missing, fresh install, new PC

Tried downloading from steam twice, ran repair tool twice, still getting same error. Can't launch the game. This is a fresh install from steam on a new PC. Windows 10. Any ideas? I don't have to manually install directx 9 to play the game do I?
    Needs more BRAAAGH!!

And while you browse, read and find help - consider leaving a like.
    It doesn't mean anything but to the author.

Does this mean if you upgrade to Windows 10, Rift will not run, unless you go and install DX 10 as well? Since i think Win 10 has DX 12 or something? I was thinking of upgrading to Win 10 this next coming week?
    OneButton (Half-way now to becoming a two-button player!)
    If there is anything you need, just ask, and I will tell you how to get along Without it!
    "One button raider for life!"

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Onebutton View Post
    Does this mean if you upgrade to Windows 10, Rift will not run, unless you go and install DX 10 as well? Since i think Win 10 has DX 12 or something? I was thinking of upgrading to Win 10 this next coming week?
    Not DX10. Specifically DX9.0c, which is no longer available from the Microsoft source that has always been the trusted go-to when referring people to solutions to this problem. DX9 has officially become unsupported on the MS end, and it is required for Rift to function, so Gamigo either needs to update the game to a supported version of DirectX or provide an install of DX9 that doesn't fail under Win10.

Currently, the Steam install of Rift forces DX9 installation past the Windows version checks, but the base Trion/Gamigo installer does not flag it as 'install despite OS complaints' so it just fails silently and gives you a UI free background upon logging in.

edit: This prevents new users from accessing the game using the Trion client under default Windows security settings, and is a pretty common problem for any program dependent on legacy DirectX functions. This issue has been reported for 6-7 years or so now, so don't expect a solution on the Gamigo end. The core of the game is completely dependent on DX9, and there will be no future updates to that. It would cost Gamigo thousands of developer hours to convert it to a modern standard. That ain't the business they're in.
    Last edited by MarginalSteve; 02-01-2021 at 02:07 AM.

thanks for that info. That is unfortunate.
    Needs more BRAAAGH!!

Quote Originally Posted by fibes View Post
    thanks for that info. That is unfortunate.
    I finally found a dll to dl and put it with rift and although I can now launch the game i have 0 controls. I can not see action bars, can not use mail box, can not even use escape...so I guess getting a new comp and new windows comes at a cost to my game play here
    Last edited by Kulta; 02-07-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    Have you ever wanted to?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kulta View Post
    I finally found a dll to dl and put it with rift and although I can now launch the game i have 0 controls. I can not see action bars, can not use mail box, can not even use escape...so I guess getting a new comp and new windows comes at a cost to my game play here
    You need the full DX9 install, not just the one DLL it mentions in the error message. It's available through the archived Microsoft download page @ https://web.archive.org/web/20201216...010_redist.exe

edit: Thanks to whoever on the Discord dug up the archive link.
    Last edited by MarginalSteve; 02-07-2021 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarginalSteve View Post
    You need the full DX9 install, not just the one DLL it mentions in the error message. It's available through the archived Microsoft download page @ https://web.archive.org/web/20201216...010_redist.exe

edit: Thanks to whoever on the Discord dug up the archive link.
    I found this page too https://www.filehorse.com/download-directx-9/download/
    Have you ever wanted to?

Neither worked, I can still log in to game but can not select char, settings or anything..just run around. nothing on screen to access, no chars, no chat, can not use mail/npc ect....Nothing
    Have you ever wanted to?

Neither worked, I can still log in to game but can not select char, settings or anything..just run around. nothing on screen to access, no chars, no chat, can not use mail/npc ect....Nothing
    have you tried repairing your game?

Quote Originally Posted by caduto View Post
    have you tried repairing your game?
    Yes I have, but since buying our new comps and trying to dl the directx it requires: I can get into the game but have no controls and no tool bar. even Escape does not work to pull up settings..Nothing but seeing my char, can not talk to npc nor check mail
    Have you ever wanted to?

Yes I have, but since buying our new comps and trying to dl the directx it requires: I can get into the game but have no controls and no tool bar. even Escape does not work to pull up settings..Nothing but seeing my char, can not talk to npc nor check mail
    Have you try to run Rift on steam? I know Valve pre installed all the files you need is not a 100% fix.
    Last edited by Zaber; 02-22-2021 at 02:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread