+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bamul
  • 2 Post By TigerhawkT3

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Rebooted computer, now Glyph won't start

Rift Disciple

Default Rebooted computer, now Glyph won't start

Glyph and Rift were working fine this morning. I rebooted my PC (Windows 8.1) a few hours ago, and now when I try to run Glyph, I see GlyphCrashHandler.exe running (appearing as "Glyph - Error Handler (32 bit)" in Task Manager) for less than a second, and then it disappears (presumably crashed) and nothing else happens. I've tried:
    • uninstalling, downloading the latest version, and reinstalling
    • above but to a fresh installation folder
    • turning off Windows firewall

The same behavior continues. Trying to run Rift directly (32-bit or 64-bit) does nothing. How do I get Glyph to run?

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    Glyph and Rift were working fine this morning. I rebooted my PC (Windows 8.1) a few hours ago, and now when I try to run Glyph, I see GlyphCrashHandler.exe running (appearing as "Glyph - Error Handler (32 bit)" in Task Manager) for less than a second, and then it disappears (presumably crashed) and nothing else happens. I've tried:
    • uninstalling, downloading the latest version, and reinstalling
    • above but to a fresh installation folder
    • turning off Windows firewall

The same behavior continues. Trying to run Rift directly (32-bit or 64-bit) does nothing. How do I get Glyph to run?
    Maybe this will help you:
    https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/e...roubleshooting

Try what happens when you delete the C:\Users\xyz\AppData\Local\Glyph folder.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Bamul View Post
    Maybe this will help you:
    https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/e...roubleshooting

Try what happens when you delete the C:\Users\xyz\AppData\Local\Glyph folder.
    Tried all of those things; none worked. Same result each time, with the error handler catching something and then crashing.

4.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #4

Hi there!

Looks like something is not allowing Glyph to start.

You could try:

End Background Applications

In some cases application will stay active in the background of the computer that will be blocking RIFT applications from functioning normally

Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously
    In the Run window that appears, type “taskmgr” without the quotes and click OK
    Go to the Applications tab and End Task on any Tasks that are not related to your internet browser (Firefox/Chrome/Internet Explorer)

or

Disabling Services

Another good step to take for graphics issues is disabling non-essential background services. The best way is to use a utility called MS Config.

Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously.
    In the Run window that appears, type "msconfig" without the quotes and click OK.
    In the System Configuration window, click on the Startup tab.
    (Note: You will also need to reverse this process once you isolated the service that is interfering with the normal operation of the game)

If none of these work, could you give me more information and ideally send some screen shots?
    Last edited by Liluri; 02-28-2019 at 08:26 AM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3 View Post
    Tried all of those things; none worked. Same result each time, with the error handler catching something and then crashing.
    Can you post your GlyphClient.cfg and your most recently created GlyphClient.x.log from the AppData\Local\Glyph and AppData\Local\Glyph\Logs folder?

In the past this has helped some players.
    • Try to reinstall DirectX9.
    • Try to change BetaOptIn=false to BetaOptIn=true in the GlyphClient.cfg.
    • Try Platform=Win64 or Platform=Win32 in the GlyphClient.cfg.
    Last edited by Bamul; 02-28-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Liluri View Post
    Hi there!

Looks like something is not allowing Glyph to start.

You could try:

End Background Applications

In some cases application will stay active in the background of the computer that will be blocking RIFT applications from functioning normally

Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously
    In the Run window that appears, type “taskmgr” without the quotes and click OK
    Go to the Applications tab and End Task on any Tasks that are not related to your internet browser (Firefox/Chrome/Internet Explorer)

or

Disabling Services

Another good step to take for graphics issues is disabling non-essential background services. The best way is to use a utility called MS Config.

Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously.
    In the Run window that appears, type "msconfig" without the quotes and click OK.
    In the System Configuration window, click on the Startup tab.
    (Note: You will also need to reverse this process once you isolated the service that is interfering with the normal operation of the game)

If none of these work, could you give me more information and ideally send some screen shots?
    I ended a bunch of background applications that I'm not using (I can't end everything - I kind of need keyboard/mouse drivers, graphics drivers, etc.), but it didn't help. I stopped several services in msconfig that I'm not using, but that didn't help either.

I'm not sure what information you'd need, and especially not sure what to take a screenshot of. Literally the only thing I see when I try to run Glyph is the error handler briefly showing up in Task Manager. There's no error message of any kind, no feedback at all.

Rift Disciple

Can you post your GlyphClient.cfg and your most recently created GlyphClient.x.log from the AppData\Local\Glyph and AppData\Local\Glyph\Logs folder?

In the past this has helped some players.
    • Try to reinstall DirectX9.
    • Try to change BetaOptIn=false to BetaOptIn=true in the GlyphClient.cfg.
    • Try Platform=Win64 or Platform=Win32 in the GlyphClient.cfg.
    I tried all those things and the problem persists.

The contents of GlyphClient.cfg:

Code:
    [Glyph]
    AffiliateId=9999
    DownloadId=1001
    ShortcutId=1001
    Language=English
    BetaOptIn=true
    Platform=Win64

General of Telara

Here's something else you could try:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/technical...ml#post5304098
    Last edited by Bamul; 02-28-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Rift Disciple

Here's something else you could try:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/technical...ml#post5304098
    I restarted in safe mode with networking (hold shift, click Start screen's power button, click Restart, let go of shift, follow steps), then tried to run Glyph, and it worked! I logged in and patched Rift, then saw if it was possible to play. It loaded, but crashed right before actually putting my character into the game, probably due to safe mode (uncertain graphics drivers, low resolution, etc.).

I restarted normally, and now Glyph works as usual. I am currently alt-tabbed from Rift, sitting in TB.

I don't know why it worked, but it worked... thank you so much!

+ Reply to Thread