+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mouse & Keyboard repeatedly stop working while on the game screen

Rift Disciple

Default Mouse & Keyboard repeatedly stop working while on the game screen

My problem happens on Prime as well as Ftp. I play in "Windowed" mode.

The mouse, keyboard and sound keep going off the in-game screen. It appears that my controls are off the game screen even though my view appears normal.

For example, I am walking along using either "w" on the keyboard or my mouse. Every few seconds, I am aware that keyboard, mouse and sound are not on the game screen although everything looks as you would expect - except I have stopped whatever it was I was doing - unless AF on someone and then I keep going! I click on the game screen and everything operates normally for a few more seconds and then it happens again. This is happening every 15 seconds or so.

Someone said that they alter the settings from "Windowed" to "Full Screen". I tried this but found that I kept flicking to my desktop and it proved quite cumbersome to get the game window up again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

An update: Since the update on Prime this afternoon, my necromancer, the only character I have on Prime, only has one combat skill available - "Flame Bolt". Her mana is full etc so I had to go into combat in a world event with one measly spell! Good job nobody was relying on me to be a big hitter!

I have been playing Rift since the first anniversary and have never had issues like this before. I can't check other games as I only play Rift online - apart from Civ.
    Last edited by Beraps; 07-11-2018 at 10:31 AM.

It sounds like you have a background program attempting to be "in front" of the game, but since the game is active and windowed, Rift likely takes the "lead".
    Did you install anything lately, like third party software?

I NEVER run anything Windowed, because it's a mess for the computer operating several things at the same time, plus Fullscreen also "forces" your external hardware like mouse and so on to stay in that window. I believe Rift also have the "Windowed Fullscreen" or Borderless as it's usually called. Have you tried that option?

I also find it odd you say the screen flickers when you change to Fullscreen. Is the resolution different on your desktop vs. in Rift?

Regarding the Flamebolt spell, then there was a major patch and this meant Warriors and Mages had certain souls reset. That's why you only have the basic skill.
    Open your talent tree and set your points again.
    Sanzor@Zaviel
    Guild - The Pack

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gharn View Post
    It sounds like you have a background program attempting to be "in front" of the game, but since the game is active and windowed, Rift likely takes the "lead".
    Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I haven't installed anything for quite some time. Also, I did a full scan yesterday which I regularly do on a Friday so nothing untoward there as far as I know. I also checked what other programmes were running and nothing much happening apart from internet explorer being open. There again, I have it open at the moment and the game is fine. I haven't tried windowed fullscreen but will if the problem returns/persists.

This morning, I took my ftp alt out and everything was fine. I also took out my Prime character and that was fine too yet as far as I know, nothing my end has changed. Yesterday I couldn't create a macro on Prime for the "Capture" quest because every couple of letters the focus was going off the game. Today, I made one without any problems.

Thank you for not pointing out that I should have realized my soul was reset! I hadn't spotted a message on Prime alerting me. I must have thought it was the old one about the planar bonus. I was alerted on ftp though and, as you suggested, reset my soul tree. Strangely, on ftp I am still getting messages saying reset even though I have done it but on Prime the message isn't coming up.

Anyway, thank you again and at least, if it happens again, I have something else to try.
    Last edited by Beraps; 07-14-2018 at 02:43 AM.

+ Reply to Thread