+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Graphics Card Update Question

Default Graphics Card Update Question

In summary, I'm averaging about 25-30 FPS on maximum settings (without AA enabled), dropping to the tens in Rifts/big combat zones.

I'm just wondering whether or not I should update my graphics card, and to what exactly, without altering any other hardware to increase my performance without bottlenecking due to my other specs.

I have the following;

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40ghz
    3gb Ram
    nvidia 8800 GT
    running on 26" lcd @ 1360x768 resolution

Any help or advise on what to upgrade to would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zumatarus View Post
    In summary, I'm averaging about 25-30 FPS on maximum settings (without AA enabled), dropping to the tens in Rifts/big combat zones.

I'm just wondering whether or not I should update my graphics card, and to what exactly, without altering any other hardware to increase my performance without bottlenecking due to my other specs.

I have the following;

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40ghz
    3gb Ram
    nvidia 8800 GT
    running on 26" lcd @ 1360x768 resolution

Any help or advise on what to upgrade to would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    They recommend 4gb of ram and then your video card is 5 generations old IE 9xxx 2xx 4xx 5xx

Just like all the beta prize packs say a nvidia 460 gtx will work great as long as your computer will accept it.
    Last edited by Fluffycalico; 02-04-2011 at 03:16 AM.

- More RAM
    - New Video Card
    "Live By The Sword, Die By The Sword"

While the graphics card is 4 generations old, according to many benchmarks test it is higher than about 3 generations above it (save some GTX ones and the newest couple of gens.)

Any advice on a particular card to switch to?
    Last edited by Zumatarus; 02-04-2011 at 03:29 AM.

While the graphics card is 4 generations old, according to many benchmarks test it is higher than about 3 generations above it (save some GTX ones and the newest couple of gens.)

GTX460 if your pc can handle it slot and power wise. 1GB version

If on a tight budget you could go 450
    Last edited by Fluffycalico; 02-04-2011 at 03:32 AM.

The 8800 is the king of all cards.

It's lasted better than any card I have ever seen.

That said, it can be upgraded, yes. :P
    Senior Officer of Legend ( Endless US PvE )

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffycalico View Post
    They recommend 4gb of ram and then your video card is 5 generations old IE 9xxx 2xx 4xx 5xx

Just like all the beta prize packs say a nvidia 460 gtx will work great as long as your computer will accept it.
    I kind of doubt an extra GB of ram will make too big a difference, they are probably running XP 32bit.
    As far as the GPU, it's hard to say it's "5 generations old" when the 9800 was pretty much the exact same thing as the 8800 and the 500 series is simply a 400 series with a slight improvment (GF400 was G100 and internally the G500 has been shown to be a G100b, ie the GF500 is to the GF400 what the 9800 was to the 8800), in essence it's only a 2nd gen gap (GF200 -> GF500).

As far as upgrading ther are many options depending on your budget, your system etc and your aillingness/ability to change out the CPU.. sometimes you can get an older (faster) CPU as a drop in replacement however LGA775 only real update from the Q6 would be to a Extreme Edition (3.2-3.3Ghz) and those are still rather costly.. IF you can find one for cheap ($ub $150 then that would be a deal and a half) I wouldn't put too much more into an otherwise dead platform. IF only gaming is your concern then (I know blasphamy) you could look for a 3.33Ghz dual core as games typically prefer higher clock rate over number of cores. Looking on Ebay pricing ranges from $150 for a 3.0Ghz to $650+ for 3.2Ghz..I am not to familiar with LGA775 upgrabiity however newegg shows Intel Pentium E6800 Wolfdale 3.33GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core @ $99

As far as the GPu you can "upgrade" a tad but anything beyond a GTX 260/450 or HD5770 will become very limited particularly at the low resolution where CPU speed makes a much bigger impact than GPU.. at 1024x769 a GTX 580 ($550) isn't even 2x as fast on a 3.8Ghz i7 than a GTS 450 ($105) costing 5x less.

Depend on your budget really.. if you plan on moving the graphics over to another system eventually or more of a toss it in and forget it..

best deal going atm is a ATI 5850 around $150 (was as low as $135 last week), the GTX 460 768 @ $90 .. I'd have a hard time suggesting spending any more than $150 without upgrading the CPU and wouldn't look beyond such a card for now.
    Last edited by SirPent; 02-04-2011 at 03:54 AM.

Ah thanks I suppose I should have clarified that I'm just looking for a temporary upgrade to make rift playable. Gonna be getting a whole new PC within a year or so so its merely a temporary, sub 100$/70 solution

Champion

Ah thanks I suppose I should have clarified that I'm just looking for a temporary upgrade to make rift playable. Gonna be getting a whole new PC within a year or so so its merely a temporary, sub 100$/70 solution
    the only option I could see IF your system supports it, is picking up another 8800GT (should be cheap on Ebay $25-50 USD) and SLI-ing them,.. at around 100USD youre looking at a GTS 250 (which is basically a relabeld 9800 which is a relabeld 8800) for maybe +15% increase at best or an HD5750 (+25% faster). Not sure if +15-25% is worth putting $100 into, then again for some it may be. Another option might be a GTX 280 if you can find one for cheap as it should be about 20-30% faster,.. if you can find one for under $75 USD that would be the route I would go personally unless you have the desire to use ATI whos 5770 is about the same performance (+-5-6%) but tend to run cooler and not be as demanding on a PSU.

+ Reply to Thread