+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Malware problem with today's Glyph update

Soulwalker

Default Malware problem with today's Glyph update

After following through on the forced Glyph update, my virus detector (ZoneAlarm) alerts me to malware. It then disinfects and restarts my PC. Now when I try to start Glyph, it gives me another update notice. I strongly trust that the problem is not with ZoneAlarm as this has never happened before with any other software installation. So I'm stuck not able to play Rift without a fix for this.

Sword of Telara

Windows Defender did not report any problems here.

Soulwalker

Default UPDATE

Fully uninstalling Glyph, downloading and reinstalling seems to have fixed it. It must have been something about the update process that set ZoneAlarm off. I hope this doesn't happen with each auto-update.

Soulwalker

Default Malware problem with today's Glyph update

Same thing here, even uninstalled Zone alarm but now MsMpEng part of window defender has all but locked up my machine

Avast haven't complained about Glyph after the update, so it's likely different search patterns the anti virus programs use.
    Alternatively you can "whitelist" (if possible with your anitvirus program) Glyph to prevent these things, but it basicly also mean you let the program stay unchecked every time you run it.
    Sanzor@Zaviel
    Guild - The Pack

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe lePew View Post
    After following through on the forced Glyph update, my virus detector (ZoneAlarm) alerts me to malware. It then disinfects and restarts my PC. Now when I try to start Glyph, it gives me another update notice. I strongly trust that the problem is not with ZoneAlarm as this has never happened before with any other software installation. So I'm stuck not able to play Rift without a fix for this.
    Zone alarm is a firewall, NOT an antivirus

Soulwalker

ZoneAlarm obviously does include an antivirus, and my installation is current. Turning it off is not an option. Glyph itself seems to run without issues. The updater, however is doing something suspect.

Sword of Telara

It happens quite often that antivirus programs react incorrectly to changes in a program.

Robert O'Callahan, former developer at Firefox, finds clear words about antivirus programs in his blog. His time as a developer at Firefox has shown him that antivirus programs do more harm than good. According to this, the virus protection itself repeatedly causes security problems and stands in the way of the implementation of effective protection mechanisms.

Also, some antivirus programs would have created gaps that could exploit malware.

Developers would also spend a lot of time locating and resolving crashes and quality problems that are the result of virus protection. A lot of working time is lost as a result.

He recommends for Windows users with a current operating system to use the firewall and AV software already integrated in the system (Windows Defender).

I run self diagnostics which I know is not an option for everyone but CCleaner's wizard cleaner and registry cleaner can save from making costly mistakes and avoid the hastles of corporate anti virus systems paying hackers to make them seem important while indeed causing more issues than fixes, just a suggestion

I dont keep personal or banking info on my pc granted but I dont use any monitors that windows uses or any of the corporate virus softwares and CCleaner is able to clean out many registry anomalies which is often where viruses attack and can even keep copies of your most current working registries when ever you change the system with new programs

it updates pretty often and hasnt failed me yet, and I visit plenty questionable websites

Rift Disciple

Challengere,

I applaud your use of CCleaner. It is a very useful tool. But I feel compelled to caution you on what you must already suspect. CCleaner is not a anti-virus or a anti-malware program. It can not detect nor adequately clean infections. I would recommend you get Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Use it together with CCleaner and Windows Defender. Or any other AV you wish. Malwarebytes will find and remove things that AV programs will not simply because the AV companies are selective on what they call a Virus. Unfortunately Malwarebyte has moved to a subscription model and because of that it is not as attractive, to me at least, as it once was.

In regards to the original poster you can white list Glyph as was suggested. However I think you will find that after your uninstall and reinstall of Glyph and Rift you will see that ZoneAlarm might just be fine with it.

Champion

It's strange how some of these AV programs work.

I've played Rift since 2011, and been running Norton AV for over 11 years.

Yet, two weeks ago when I started the game, Norton jumped out on the screen that has the PLAY button on it, and informed me that Rift.exe was infected and it removed it.

After 11 years together sigh.

So, I had to tell Norton that Rift.exe was ok, forever, and that took care of the problem.

But no idea what brought that about.

I usually just close everything in task manager (processes/applications) for rift/glyph, download glyph from website and hit the repair when running that download...

sofar, it hasn't failed me yet

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor7 View Post
    It's strange how some of these AV programs work.

I've played Rift since 2011, and been running Norton AV for over 11 years.

Yet, two weeks ago when I started the game, Norton jumped out on the screen that has the PLAY button on it, and informed me that Rift.exe was infected and it removed it.

After 11 years together sigh.

So, I had to tell Norton that Rift.exe was ok, forever, and that took care of the problem.

But no idea what brought that about.
    I wouldn't be surprised it's due to some change related to the client patch etc., which might trigger the AV. Programs change behaviour based on what malware and vira are reported, so AVs obviously change to combat it, but this might cause the little popups on friendly programs too.
    Better the AV makes the remark, rather than something bad going through. You never know if one developer made a mess :P
    Sanzor@Zaviel
    Guild - The Pack

+ Reply to Thread