+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Rift is shutting down my PC

Soulwalker

Default Rift is shutting down my PC

after the small patch the other day rift has been shutting my PC down after i hit the play button, the splash screen will come up with the Rift logo and then go to a loading screen that appears before you select a character, but before it gets to the screen to select a character the whole PC just shuts off, no restart just loss of power, ive tried repairing, reinstalling, updated all drivers and nothing, it plays other games just fine for hours at a time like Defiance, WoW, Diablo 3, ESO, blade and soul, all those games work just fine with no issues, but when i try and launch rift it shuts down the PC everytime.

my PC specs are:
    CPU - AMD Quad-Core Phenom 2.2GHz
    GPU - Nvidia Geforce 550TI
    Memory - 6gb
    PSU - 450W Crosair
    OS - Win 7 Home Premium
    Last edited by Xeneon30316; 08-12-2017 at 08:26 AM. Reason: forgot to add PC specs

i know you said you can play other games for hours, but hear me out.

it sounds to me like your power supply is tripping it's OCP..or over current protection..a little too quickly. this can cause a system to shut down randomly, even when idle at the desktop, because the power supply thinks the power going through it is a bit too much even when it isn't.

if there's a way you can test your system with a different PSU, that's what I would recommend.
    twitch.tv/themaverick_gamer - mixer.com/themaverick_gamer - youtube.com/themaverickgamer

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3

Hello! If these steps haven't resolve your issue, please submit a support ticket at support.trionworlds.com and our Tech Support team will be happy to troubleshoot with you.

https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/e...rashing-Issues

I do hope the TS has fixed the problem him/her-self already, since the post is nearly a month old already and not related to the mishap that was going on with the patch from sept 6..

If not, perhaps above mentioned solutions work.
    Not sure how old your PS is, but keep in mind that those can break down too, tho you may not always notice it at once or at all times.

So testing with a similar spec PS may give an answer.

Another option may be, to open task manager and shut down any and all visible glyph processes.
    Go to Computer > C: > Users > <<name>> > appdata > local > Glyph and in this folder, delete glyph client.
    Download glyph again from the website (DO NOT remove the game from your computer).
    Run that download. It should give you 3 options, Repair, Install & Remove.
    Go for REPAIR.

Run the full thing. Run any download that shows on the screen.
    Wait till all is run completely.
    Hit play.

Again, late replies, hope your problem was solved already.. if not, hopefully any of our solutions fixed your problem.

Soulwalker

I get these shutdowns daily and only with rift, even when rift is the only thing running. No other game does this, I play skyrim, dishonored 2, Deus Ex, Witcher 3 all these games are quite heavy on the computer and never a problem, play Rift and at least once a day (usually a few times a day) it just shuts my computer off, no crash logs, no blue screen.

There are 2 forms:
    1. computer crashes and game is still running but everything is frozen (not even ctrl-alt-del works)
    2. screen goes black and computer restarts

Never in the last 3 months have I seen this happen unless Rift is running. I have tried deleting Glyph and running repair a month ago and still happens. I have stress tested the system, monitored temperature of cpu/gpu... I may go buy another PSU but it seems suspect that the only thing in common here is rift.exe

Here is general system info:
    Time of this report: 9/13/2017, 08:56:33
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: GA-990FXA-UD3
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16366MB RAM
    Page File: 8353MB used, 10443MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.15063.0000 64bit Unicode
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 970
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Type: Full Device
    Device Problem Code: No Problem
    Driver Problem Code: Unknown
    Display Memory: 12241 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 4058 MB
    Shared Memory: 8182 MB
    Current Mode: 3840 x 2160 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: ASUS PB287Q
    Monitor Id: ACI28A3
    Native Mode: 3840 x 2160(p) (59.997Hz)
    Output Type: Displayport External
    Last edited by Qlex; 09-13-2017 at 06:00 AM.

6.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #6

Hello! If the steps mentioned above have not resolved the issue for you, please make sure to submit a support ticket at support.trionworlds.com and we'll be happy to troubleshoot with you.

Soulwalker

I have followed every applicable step on that page and it just shut down this morning and rift was the only thing running. After restart I did not run rift and ran a lot of other applications/games and in 5 hours no crash. I have never had the computer shut down when rift is not running.

I'll file a support ticket.

+ Reply to Thread