+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Glyph won't run (no process at all) in Win10x64 Insider Fast Ring: build 15002

Soulwalker

Default Glyph won't run (no process at all) in Win10x64 Insider Fast Ring: build 15002

I realize this Insider beta version is unsupported by Trion but just wanted to put this out there for eventual fixing since this will be the next major update for Windows 10 (Redstone) after the bugs are ironed out.

If anyone is running 64-bit Win10 Insider Fast Ringbuild 15002 and has gotten Glyph to run, I'm all ears.

Running as Admin and in compatibility mode for Windows 8/7 etc hasn't worked.

2.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #2

Hey there! Have you tried all of the troubleshooting steps located in this support article?
    Last edited by ZamboniChaos; 01-14-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    Need help? Contact our Customer Support team here!

Trion Worlds Support Center
    @TrionHelp
    facebook.com/TrionHelp

Soulwalker

Yes, I have tried it without luck, deleting configs, folders etcl.

Update: this problem exists on Insider Fast Ring build 15002 (where I initially reported it) and now in 15007 as well which just came out.

Just wanted to let the devs know that this will be a problem since this will be a major non-beta update for all Win10 users in April.

Hope this helps.

Interesting. Anything in the windows logs about Glyph being terminated (or the executable being blocked)?

A Rift screenshot collection.

Watch me on Twitch

Soulwalker

i was unable to check, alas since i rolled back to whatever build was before 15002/15007. it will force me to patch again in a day or two so i can re-examine.

Soulwalker

I have this issue currently. I can't rollback as I don't keep files for previous versions.

Soulwalker

I have this same issue. It started in Build 15002 and continues into Build 15019.

I've tried all the troubleshooting options I found online to no avail. I submitted a ticket to Trion, but was met with the response that they do not support beta builds of Windows. I submitted the issue to Microsoft, but I'm not optimistic about getting a response.

Has anyone found any other workarounds? I really don't intend to rebuild my whole PC to play one game when everything else is working properly.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by jrwisno1 View Post
    I have this same issue. It started in Build 15002 and continues into Build 15019.

Has anyone found any other workarounds? I really don't intend to rebuild my whole PC to play one game when everything else is working properly.
    Well, it's unlikely there's an easy workaround. Here's why: -

In plain language:
    Glyph client code is not compatible with Windows 15002+ core system libraries on which it relies, practically being a not entirely valid .exe file from the point of Windows.

In details (which may help devs):
    GlyphClient (and other GlyphXxx.exe progs in folder, except downloder) are making invalid call to ntdll.dll's LdrpInitializeProcess (0x7e, mod_not_found), which is used to initialize a program and start executing it (part of code used before main() function). The most likely culprit seem to be Qt4 libraries from 2012, used as framework for Glyph client.
    Reinstalling, resetting config, running as admin, etc, doesn't matter, as Glyph never gets to the point when these do matter. Anyway, I hope, for dev's sake, that in best case, Glyph would just need a recompile with with newer Qt libs (and ship it via Glyph beta program?)

I do, however, expect to see fix for this very soon, since core system libs changes in Windows 10 15002+ are part of next big official Windows release (RedStone2), due in March/April, which would coincide with Rift 4.1 content launch.

Not supporting Windows technical previews is hardly an excuse. Technically, even Windows 8 is not supported with current version of Qt libs, even though the code runs on it.

Soulwalker

Default Worked until build 15025....2/2/17

This is disappointing, to say the least.

I've had ZERO problems--on the fast ring-- until 4.1 + this new WIN10 release.

Has anyone found a solution??

Plane Touched

It could be related to an entry from the 15025 Changelog
    ADDED: GAMING We’re aware of an issue due to a kernel change which may affect some games that use copy protection technologies.
    [GAMING] Popular games may experience crashes or black screens when trying to load due to a platform issue. UPDATE: We believe this is fixed!.

Short answer: Don't use Windows Insider Preview builds for gaming

Long answer: You'll just have to wait. Trion has no requirement to support beta operating systems, and whatever behavior Microsoft changed that is causing backwards incompatibility may or may not change by the time the official release is made.

The proper way to report these issues is via official support channels with Trion or through Microsoft Feedback Hub

Having said that, if you are technically minded, there are tools you can use to see under the hood that my help figuring out what is going on.
    Last edited by Spikeles; 02-02-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertz View Post
    GlyphClient (and other GlyphXxx.exe progs in folder, except downloder) are making invalid call to ntdll.dll's LdrpInitializeProcess (0x7e, mod_not_found)
    not sure what you mean, AFAIK mod_not_found is an error code related to getting module handles, which most likely means some .dll failed to load.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertz View Post
    The most likely culprit seem to be Qt4 libraries from 2012, used as framework for Glyph client.
    Uhm...my Glyph comes with Qt 5.5.1 dlls

Anyway, can't help you, I'm not even a Windows user anymore...
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Soulwalker

Logged in again to confirm still broken in Insider Fast Ring v15025. I'm aware of the risks of running not-ready-for-prime-time code and have made my peace with it.

Soulwalker

I have the same problem here (currently Insider Build 15025 ) The QT 5.6 library changelog indicates full Win 10 support. I wonder if they rebuilt the client targeting that that version (or later) if it would resolve the issue.

Soulwalker

Default 15031 not working either

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    not sure what you mean, AFAIK mod_not_found is an error code related to getting module handles, which most likely means some .dll failed to load.

Uhm...my Glyph comes with Qt 5.5.1 dlls

Anyway, can't help you, I'm not even a Windows user anymore...
    Past Win7, Windows has Api Sets, a referencing .dll names that are being re-routed to Win32 api calls, basically embedded in system core files like ntdll and kernel (and few more, not of concern for topic). Not finding a module, in later days, could also mean more not being able to match exact function overload. In case of Glyph, it gets routed to apphelp.dll (I could be wrong, it's last week's memory) that doesn't have something that ntdll.dll is looking for and that Glyph issued. Might be a glitch in Glyph or diverse course in ntdll development. But ntdll is not a consumer product.

Anyway, it doesn't work in 15031 either.

And I am going to argue with following comment:

Short answer: Don't use Windows Insider Preview builds for gaming

Long answer: You'll just have to wait.

I use Insider preview builds for work, mostly because I must and even though they are pain to follow every 1-2 weeks. And it is annoying when I have to switch from my work/main/etc install to some old stuff that has nothing on it, just to play Rift, while everything else works last insider preview.

Proper way is going with the flow, if you are developing for Windows, make it work for Windows.

Nobody in Windows Insider program likes anything that isn't latest beta version, and about good deal of those people who pay patron, are there because keeping up with latest stuff enable them to do so.

You opinion is retrograde, it's same as screaming "don't drive a car, it;s dangerous, wait until all horses are dead".

Anyway,
    @Trion: Just ditch Qt and all 3rd party crap (UI and action bars) and make stuff that you are really in control of. There's total of maybe 10 people playing the game on Wine from Linux, and mobile is way behind us. And that's why game doesn't run.

Also, people who apparently (proxies, vpn's, etcs) play the game from before Win7 and have 32bit computers are in far lesser numbers than those who are on Windows 10 Insider Program (bar those who play at work on mandatory Walmart specified platform from 1997). For the latter, I can bet that nobody playing Rift has a 32bit computer, since they stopped making them around 2000 (yes, almost 2 decades ago), and attitudes today like "don't go 64 bit, you just have to wait, buy and install 32bit operating system" is like ... idk, you fill in...

+1 for devs to fix this before 4.1
    -1 for every lamer in marketing

Soulwalker

As an update the latest beta release is now working on the insider version.

From another PC I copied "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Glyph\GlyphClie nt.cfg" which is opted in for the beta build. I then downloaded the latest update and copied to to my PC with the insider build. For the first time in a long time Glyph is running on my Insider build box now (15031 atm)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast