+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DirectX

Soulwalker

Default DirectX

Ok, I guess its required to play beta? I know the next beta doesn't start until tomorrow, but is it actually needed to play? The problem I'm having is updating my current one, for some reason the update keeps failing. It tells me to either try again later or check my internet connection settings, which isn't the problem?

xP

Try to install the latest one from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...a-9b6652cd92a3. That should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass
    People on the internet are jerks, deal with it.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ---AlterEgo--- View Post
    Try to install the latest one from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...a-9b6652cd92a3. That should work.
    Same dealio :T Only difference is that this time a window popped up asking me to install it with recommended settings, which also didn't work xP

If the link above didn't work, you need the actual directx first which is here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...1-50ceb6d8fa8d

Then update it.
    "Live By The Sword, Die By The Sword"

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutez View Post
    If the link above didn't work, you need the actual directx first which is here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...1-50ceb6d8fa8d

Then update it.
    That did it, thanks! (:

Quote Originally Posted by Esonance View Post
    That did it, thanks! (:
    You welcome

Soulwalker

I had the same issue with beta5, and I have installed the beta6 client and it still insists I need to update and install DirectX 9.0c.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with an nVidia GTX460 1024MB. This is a brand-spanking new gaming rig that still has that new computer smell. I play all kinds of other games (WoW, SC2, Oblivion, Champions Online, Minecraft) with no problems. I posted about this for beta5 and could not even play the beta because the issue was never resolved.

I'm still having the issue. Despite downloading "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe" fresh from Microsoft's download site several times and scouring the Internet for others having the same problem as me, I can't get the DirectX installer to complete successfully. I've tried doing a bare-bones restart using msconfig and disabling a whole bunch of services and startup items but it still wants to suck.

The complete error text is:

An internal system error occurred.
    Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder to determine problem.
    Every time I check the log it complains about a different file just like the other people who have posted here. Bah! Here is the most recent attempt:

Quote Originally Posted by C:\Windows\Logs\DXError.log
    --------------------
    [02/03/11 21:22:13] module: dxupdate(Nov 19 2010), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 5738, function: DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn

Failed API: SetupIterateCabinet()
    Error: (5) - Access is denied.

Unable to iterate through C:\Windows\system32\DirectX\WebSetup\MDX_1.0.2904. 0_x86.cab. The file may be damaged.

--------------------
    [02/03/11 21:22:14] module: dsetup32(Nov 19 2010), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 280, function: CSetup::InstallPlugIn

DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
    [02/03/11 21:22:14] module: dsetup32(Nov 19 2010), file: setup.cpp, line: 1727, function: CSetup::SetupForDirectX

InstallPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
    [02/03/11 21:23:38] module: dxupdate(Nov 19 2010), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 5738, function: DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn

Failed API: SetupIterateCabinet()
    Error: (5) - Access is denied.

Unable to iterate through C:\Windows\system32\DirectX\WebSetup\MDX_1.0.2905. 0_x86.cab. The file may be damaged.

--------------------
    [02/03/11 21:23:38] module: dsetup32(Jun 2 2010), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 280, function: CSetup::InstallPlugIn

DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
    [02/03/11 21:23:38] module: dsetup32(Jun 2 2010), file: setup.cpp, line: 1723, function: CSetup::SetupForDirectX

InstallPlugIn() failed.
    (The "Access is denied" error persists even if I run this as Administrator)

If anyone has any suggestions that do not involve telling me to re-download the DX9 runtime straight from Microsoft, please let me know! My system is bare-bones and I'm willing to try anything short of "re-install your operating system". Thanks in advance!

I truly hope that this can be resolved because I am very much looking forward to playing Rift and have already pre-ordered. I will be very disappointed if the game still complains about this once it launches, especially considering I have a really powerful system and have already spent the money on a game might not even be able to play.

Edit: I have attached the entire DXError.log file to further illustrate how it complains about different files every time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by synack; 02-03-2011 at 09:48 PM.

I am having difficulty launching Rift. It states that one or more components od DirectX are out of date. After I click to update it states that the version I have is curent and no installation is needed. Click OK and then get a pop up saying Rift has stopped working. Tried re-booting, re-installing.
    Any suggestions?

Soulwalker

Thanks for the reply and the links, Absolutez.

I ended up resolving it. The culprit was my anti-virus software: ClamAV. Despite shutting it down and its companion services, it seemed to have still been interfering with Windows Cryptography Service. So... I uninstalled ClamAV, rebooted, installed DX9c with no problems, and then promptly re-installed ClamAV.

Pass this along for future generations!!

Best regards!!

+ Reply to Thread