+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Have a quick one? Graphics!

Default Have a quick one? Graphics!

Ok, I have an alright, newer computer i7....8gb ram....It came with an Ati-5770 1gb graphics card. Im saving up for a new Comp, this summer....But wanted to upgrade my graphics card have money for it now.

The question is...Should i buy a Ati radeon HD 5970-2gb, or a 4gb? The avg price for the 2gb is $500, and the 4gb is give or take $1000. would have enough to get one or the other, and comp is only 1 pciexpX16. And also keep in mind this new card would be used in new comp this summer/fall.

So, what are your thoughts? Worth double the price vs graphic power? or should i save 500 now for newer comp?

Save the $500 if you are planning on getting a new rig.. You should run Rift fine.

wait wait wait... Let me get this straight. You already have an i7 and your already talking of upgrading? Umm, you wanna toss me that i7 then?

lol....Maybe...I thinking the new i7 6 core....but not sure. Just ready for a really good comp. 2 crads..max ram, and max proc. Will get me another 2 years. Maybe 3.

Save your money; the 5970 will soon be eclipsed by the 6990, which is the dual GPU version of the Radeon 6900 series. That being said, be aware the 5970 and 6990 are monster cards; the 5970 is 31cm long (over 12 inches) so there are many cases in which it won't fit. Based on the pics I've seen of the 6990 I doubt it's any shorter.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Melnock View Post
    Save the $500 if you are planning on getting a new rig.. You should run Rift fine.
    /agree....

+ Reply to Thread