+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glyph (32-bit) causes high cpu and overheating

Telaran

Angry Glyph (32-bit) causes high cpu and overheating

Hi All,

After a small break I decided to come back and try out Rift again, especially since there is a new expansion and level cap increase.

Now before I go into details, I have the following system:
    AMD 8350 Black 4 Ghz 8 core, 32 GB DDR3, 2x Sata3 500 Gb Samsung Evo SSD, Nvidia 980 GTX & Samsung 4k monitor and 100 Mbps / 40 Mbps internet.

I play games like Dying Light & Witcher 3 at 4k and ULTRA settings without any problems.

So to say I am surprised is an understatement when running the installer which downloads 14.8 GB of data that my Asus monitoring kept popping up "WARNING CPU 65*"

I checked in the advanced monitoring and yes, it fluctuated between 61-66*, when the ONLY thing running was the Glyph installer downloading Rift.

Then I checked task manager, and despite having 8 cores at 4 Ghz each; Glyph 32-bit was using between 70-90* CPU (as in ALL CORES were high).

Now my subscription ran our a couple of weeks ago, kept active from the launch of Rift.... and I had ever intention to purchase the latest Xpac..... but now I am not so sure.

Why is Rift / Glyph still running 32-bit? (sure if you want to support legacy, but surely a 64-bit client exists?

And why is the code so bad that simply downloading and installing the game is destroying my PC performance and causing damage (overheating due to constant high CPU).

Again I stress, games like Dying Light & Witcher 3 running in ULTRA settings @ 4k barely get my CPU of 54* with the odd spike to 57*. Yet downloading 14 GB via a 32 bit installer causes 65* +

Very disappointed!

Telaran

Update.

Within 60 seconds of the installer finishing downloading (but still open), my CPU is down to 44*

WTF

It's not like 65 degrees is dangerous for the cpu anyways, if it would get too hot it would throttle anyways so i don't really see the issue here?

:: Zyrre :: Zyrres ::
    :: Last Dawn ::

+ Reply to Thread