+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: repeated crashing, please help

Quote Originally Posted by thelarry View Post
    Me either, but since this seems to be just a Vista 64bit issue would setting the compatibility tab of rift.exe to xp help at all?
    I tried having Rift.exe run with Win xp compatability mode and still crashed after a few minutes. That didn't work but it was a good try.
    When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed.

I think if more people were experiencing this problem they'd be trying to do more about it... but since there's so few of us being annoying on the forums they can more easily ignore the problem?

They've basically said they have a fix for it but they are just going to wait until the usual patch to implement it. Why? Because so few of us run Vista it's not worth the effort?

I don't want a fancy Vista mount. I want my currency from the weeklies I can't do because they refuse to fix it until the week is over.

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #63
    Rift Team

Let me be clear, this is not the case. We do not 'have a fix'. We have a build (on PTS) and internally that doesn't seem to be experiencing this problem. This is not a fix. This is a hope that when it's time to hotfix on Wednesday things will work. For all we know the crash causing bug could be something that only shows up on live servers.

In the meantime we are still working on the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackayla78 View Post
    They've basically said they have a fix for it but they are just going to wait until the usual patch to implement it.

4.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #64
    Graphics Programmer MoldyFrozenFruitJuice's Avatar

Hey guys, we may have found a workaround to get you up and playing.

It looks like this is an issue in our error handler, and just killing rifterrorhandler.exe after starting the client makes the game playable.

We're still investigating what the actual problem is, but hopefully you can get playing now. Just start the client, open up the task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), select rifterrorhandler.exe, mash the "End Process" button, and resume playing.

Of course, make sure you don't kill the wrong process. That would be bad.

Good luck, and let us know if it works.

Soulwalker

Default crashing

nope. still crashing

Soulwalker

Default Still no luck

Thanks for the advise to shut down that process, but it has not worked for me yet. Going to try a combination of shutting down the process and running in XP mode.

Good luck and thanks for trying.

Shadowlander

Default Still crashes after 12-14 mins

Sorry guys still a NO GO. After shutting down "rifterrorhandler.exe", I still crash before the 14 min. Yes, I am running Windows Vista 64 bit.

Just wish you would get rid of Wednesday's patch, everything was fine before that.

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #68
    Rift Team

Out of curiosity I had heard of a report of someone having a windows update for Vista and only after that did they start crashing. Can anyone corroborate this? (i.e. did you have a Windows update for Vista, applied it and then started crashing)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Snedhepl View Post
    This is not a fix. This is a hope
    This does not give me a lot of confidence. I've found that hoping a problem goes away is not the best of strategies. It means that even if it works, the problem is likely to come back again since no one knows why it happened in the first place. A QA team to test the updates goes a long way too.

Why not just roll back the fail update from last week so you can spend the proper amount of time on it to understand what went wrong? I know every time we deliver a software update at my job we are required to have a rollback plan, so I assume Rift has one as well.

Shadowlander

Default re: window update

I did get a window vista update on friday or saturday, can't remember which, but was happy because I though maybe that might help my crashing since thursday. So on Saturday, I downloaded the windows vista update...started Rift...and within 14 minutes it crashed again.

So no I don't think the Windows update is crashing Rift, I think the Rift update from Wednesday is the problem.

Thanks guys

11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #71
    Rift Team

I'm fine that it doesn't give you a lot of confidence, the comment was a reply to someone claiming we 'had a fix' and the intention was to disabuse that notion. Remember it's not simply 'hoping a problem goes away'. It might go away, it might not, even if it does go away, as I said we will continue to investigate the problem.

Rolling back a live game isn't quite the same as more controlled software. It is of course possible, but this is not a situation in which proverbial fire and brimstone raining down from the sky that would warrant a full on rollback. Remember rolling back could require a data rollback as well, and that would be terrible for even more people. Doubly so when there's no guarantee it'll actually fix anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappier View Post
    This does not give me a lot of confidence. I've found that hoping a problem goes away is not the best of strategies. It means that even if it works, the problem is likely to come back again since no one knows why it happened in the first place. A QA team to test the updates goes a long way too.

Why not just roll back the fail update from last week so you can spend the proper amount of time on it to understand what went wrong? I know every time we deliver a software update at my job we are required to have a rollback plan, so I assume Rift has one as well.
    Last edited by Snedhepl; 04-27-2015 at 07:19 PM.

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #72
    Rift Team

Thanks! Just trying to track down every possibility that could be causing this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkrom View Post
    I did get a window vista update on friday or saturday, can't remember which, but was happy because I though maybe that might help my crashing since thursday. So on Saturday, I downloaded the windows vista update...started Rift...and within 14 minutes it crashed again.

So no I don't think the Windows update is crashing Rift, I think the Rift update from Wednesday is the problem.

Thanks guys

Out of curiosity I had heard of a report of someone having a windows update for Vista and only after that did they start crashing. Can anyone corroborate this? (i.e. did you have a Windows update for Vista, applied it and then started crashing)
    I hadn't done a windows update for many moons but it was among the things I tried on Friday after I spent all of Thursday crashing. So no, I don't think it was a Vista update was the culprit.

I tried ending the error handler process but it didn't work. Thanks for trying.

14.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #74
    Rift Team

Thanks for the info. We'll be continuing to explore all our lines of investigation until we get this issue resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackayla78 View Post
    I hadn't done a windows update for many moons but it was among the things I tried on Friday after I spent all of Thursday crashing. So no, I don't think it was a Vista update was the culprit.

I tried ending the error handler process but it didn't work. Thanks for trying.

Let me be clear, this is not the case. We do not 'have a fix'. We have a build (on PTS) and internally that doesn't seem to be experiencing this problem. This is not a fix. This is a hope that when it's time to hotfix on Wednesday things will work. For all we know the crash causing bug could be something that only shows up on live servers.

In the meantime we are still working on the problem.
    Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by MoldyFrozenFruitJuice View Post
    Hey guys, we may have found a workaround to get you up and playing.

It looks like this is an issue in our error handler, and just killing rifterrorhandler.exe after starting the client makes the game playable.

We're still investigating what the actual problem is, but hopefully you can get playing now. Just start the client, open up the task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), select rifterrorhandler.exe, mash the "End Process" button, and resume playing.

Of course, make sure you don't kill the wrong process. That would be bad.

Good luck, and let us know if it works.
    Doesn't work for me I tried it before. I even tried closing both that handler and glyph, while leaving rift running to no avail.

Nope I do not believe that this the case, as I had not updated vista just prior to the game patch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast