+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: No sound on crossover Mac since patch

Default No sound on crossover Mac since patch

So RIFT worked fine a few weeks on crossover 14 on Mac OS, finally no crashes, an adequate graphical experience too, I even bought a patron membership!

But then, the patch came!
    It feels like a drastical drop of framerates (like 3 fps), so I had to go back to minimum graphical settings to be able to play the game at all. Since adventure groups are so big now, it's even harder to play the game (it gets worse with 10+ people at once).

And then... no sound! My speakers are on but still no sound in RIFT.

Why are people always change something that works into something that doesn't work, honestly? I don't really need a wardrobe, or more extras, I just wanna play the game without crashes and with a decent amount of fps!

Please, guys, keep this game playable for Mac users on crossover! I'd really hate going back to WoW, just because it works better on a Mac.

Soulwalker

Default No sound under Wine and Ubuntu 14.04 either

same problem ... as usual after each big patch it will take two weeks till we can play normally again. Statistically, we will have in this time, due to hotfixes also three days in which we can't play at all, Glyph will crash on us and we will end up to set the whole system up from the scratch again to make it work. Many thanks, Trion!

That's interesting to hear it doesn't work with Ubuntu either, so it's not only a problem on Mac!
    Hope they're gonna fix it soon (or at all)...

And hopefully, I won't have to buy crossover again, and a patch comes from Trion's sides!

General of Telara

Same here, Ubuntu 14.04 too.

Even compiled the very latest wine sources because there have been a couple of dsound additions lately, but no luck. According to the trace, Rift just seems to open the device, query it capabilities and closes it again.

I hope this is gonna be adressed soon, since the game is unplayable without sound!

Seems like on Windows some people have a similar problem too - no sound after logging into the game. Maybe these problems have the same roots (I am no technician though).

General of Telara

Hah! solved it!

So, the fact that some Windows people had the problem too, and installing the DirectX9 redistributable again fixed it (for some, anyway) finally got me to the solution:
    Rift searches XAudio2_7.dll through the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{5A5086 85-A254-4FBA-9B82-9A24B00306AF} to be precise). While wine comes with a native version of that dll, it didn't register there (not sure if you even can).
    Easiest solution I found is using winetricks:

winetricks xact_jun2010

Is that possible on Mac too, and could you explain it for dummies too?

General of Telara

Yes apparently winetricks works with Crossover in the same way.
    Just download the winetricks script (project page: https://github.com/Winetricks/winetricks ), make it executable and tell it to install the missing dll, something like
    Code:
    env WINEPREFIX=/path/to/your/bottle_name ./winetricks xact_jun2010
    This automatically downloads (if it hasn't already by a previous action) the directx9c redistributable from MS and extracts and registers just the XAudio dlls from it.
    Last edited by Lynx3d; 04-18-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks, but I was more hoping for some EXACT description of what to do, since I know not what to do with this winetricks (I'm not sure I even downloaded the right thing) once I have it!
    Like I said, I need an explanation for dummies

So I do not know either what to do with this line of text, if it's not even what I shall type exactly. Okay, I got that I have to enter the path to the game. That's *maybe* the only thing I could do by myself. But what then? Where to enter it? What file to open from this winetricks?
    Last edited by Nezac; 04-19-2015 at 07:38 AM.

Soulwalker

open a terminal
    copy the command, the poster above typed for you
    press enter

I guess, you just had doubts it is that easy ;-). Did it with my bottle and the sound is back, crashes are less, but I have still reproducible crashes when right-clicking on player portraits.

Thanks, well, it doesn't seem that easy. ;)

When I did it I got the error:

Command error text:
    winewrapper.exe:error: cannot start L"env" (error 31)

I just unzipped winetricks and ran the command in the bottle.

Windows, audio no longer switches when device is changed (directx audio issue?)

I do have this registry key under {5a508685-a254-4fba-9b82-9a24b00306af}
    (Default) REG_SZ with data XAudio2
    sub folder InPocServer32
    (Default) REG_SZ with data C:\Windows\SysWow64\XAudio2_7.dll
    ThreadingModel REG_SZ with data Both

So the patch messed things up for a lot of people, but this particular issue probably isn't the same.

I always wonder: Aren't patches and updates supposed to make things BETTER, instead of making things worse for anyone?!

Soulwalker

Default How to Fix Sound Issue with Crossover EZ-Way !!

That's strange. Crossover just outputs audio right into the Mac's Core Audio system so it should just work, there isn't anything special in the way. I looked around and found http://forums.riftgame.com/technical...ort/460830-no-
    sound-crossover-mac-since-patch.html which seems to indicate it's a Windows issue and not a Mac/Linux Crossover issue specifically.

They recommend installing DirectX into the bottle with Rift to add the missing sound DLLs. To do this launch Crossover, Install Software, search for and pick DirectX Modern, then expand the "Will install into.." section and choose your existing Rift bottle. Install and see if that gets the sound working - you might need to change those Wine Config sound setting back to System Default.

THAT helped me, thanks!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast