+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Bug] Glyph seems to have a memory issue.

General of Telara

Default [Bug] Glyph seems to have a memory issue.

Current working set memory size on it is 689,836K. Contrast that with Firefox which is running at 887,7xxK, Battle.net at 194,756K, and Outlook at 137,640K. Restarting Glyph drops its working set RAM footprint to 95-96,000K.

General of Telara

Just as an update. It's been less than 22 hours since I restarted Glyph just before I made my original post, and it's back up to 233,5xxK memory usage.

Rift Chaser

I left my Glyph Client running in the background for 7 hours while I played another game (not Rift) and didn't notice any appreciable increase in memory usage.

Over those 7 hours the maximum Memory Working Set for Glyph was 124 MB.

Can you give more information how you are using Glyph?

- What operating system?
    - Are you leaving it in the foreground or is it running in the background?
    - Are you playing Rift or another game?

It could also be unrelated to Glyph. I notice Glyph keeps quite a few TCP connections open, so perhaps another program (eg, a anti-virus that scans network traffic) is not handling the connections properly and causing heap usage to increase within Glyph due to some kind of DLL injection.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeles View Post
    - What operating system?
    Windows 7 x64

- Are you leaving it in the foreground or is it running in the background?
    Define "foreground" and "background." Not joking here, both terms can be highly subjective given that one could say that any window that doesn't have focus is in the "background" while someone else could legitimately say that only programs that show up in the task manager and nowhere else, not in the task bar and no icon in the system notification area, are in the "background."

In the case of Glyph, I usually use it once or twice per day to deal with minions in Rift, once for the daily gift in Defiance, and of late it's been two or three times per day to play Trove. Beyond that it's often hidden underneath a pile of other windows and only gets focus by accident or if I need to adjust it.

- Are you playing Rift or another game?
    Yes.

It could also be unrelated to Glyph. I notice Glyph keeps quite a few TCP connections open, so perhaps another program (eg, a anti-virus that scans network traffic) is not handling the connections properly and causing heap usage to increase within Glyph due to some kind of DLL injection.
    Could be, but wouldn't I at least be likely to see similar bloat with other programs? Right now all I'm using is SpyBot 2 and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Rift Chaser

Give this Microsoft program a go:

VMMap - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../dd535533.aspx

It will show every piece of memory allocated by a program (and it'll even trace the actual memory allocations if you want).

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Marikhen View Post
    Current working set memory size on it is 689,836K. Contrast that with Firefox which is running at 887,7xxK, Battle.net at 194,756K, and Outlook at 137,640K. Restarting Glyph drops its working set RAM footprint to 95-96,000K.
    Hi

I have a work-around for you. It isn't a fix for the problem, but a way for glyph to stop sucking up your system resources and play whatever glyph game(s) you wish to play, Rift included.

1. Shut down Rift and Glyph completely.

2. Start Glyph / Rift, log into it

3. Go to "Settings" and select from left hand side "Advanced"

4. On right side you will see a drop down menu that says:
    Leave Glyph Open
    Minimize Glyph
    Exit Glyph

Select the "Exit Glyph" option and click OK, do not click Cancel.

Glyph will now automatically shut down everytime the game you are starting up starts up. thus it will no longer eat up memory, or any other system resources.

Hope this helps you a bit.

General of Telara

Give this Microsoft program a go:

VMMap - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../dd535533.aspx

It will show every piece of memory allocated by a program (and it'll even trace the actual memory allocations if you want).
    That's interesting, but without much of an idea of what to look for the data displayed isn't very useful. I appreciate the link, but all I can say from it, at least ATM, is that the "private data" segment is taking up something like 680-712,000 KB of RAM right now out of a total working set of 828,500 KB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shouku View Post
    I have a work-around for you. It isn't a fix for the problem, but a way for glyph to stop sucking up your system resources and play whatever glyph game(s) you wish to play, Rift included.
    While useful if a solution to the issue cannot be found, it won't help actually find the solution to sweep the problem under the rug. Thank you for the response, but for the time being I'll settle for restarting it whenever I notice it getting too fat.

Programs will rarely use the same amount of memory on two different systems unless they're under some type of maximum constraint. Just because task manager says you're using, say, 90% of your memory, that doesn't necessarily mean that you only have 10% free and no more than that. Some apps will hold memory open and only release it if they really need to, i.e. if something else needs memory allocated to it, and program X is holding a bunch of memory that it really doesn't need, which will be released.

Unless you're running into issues where your system is paging due to lack of available RAM, I'd ignore the values you're seeing, and think that closing the client is probably the best idea.

Edit: Particularly centered around applications that use the .NET framework, this sort of memory usage is common, and isn't something worth worrying about.
    Last edited by Hewi; 03-25-2015 at 02:33 PM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by hewi View Post
    Edit: Particularly centered around applications that use the .NET framework, this sort of memory usage is common, and isn't something worth worrying about.
    I don't know a thing about the .NET framework, but I do know that this is abnormal behavior for Glyph. This issue only cropped up within the last week or two, and it's a rather noticeable issue when Glyph sucks up nearly a gigabyte of RAM after a day or two of run time after a year or more of no significant increase in RAM usage over time despite running for weeks on end. Heck, in the last hour it's had a nearly 9% increase, going from 828.5MB to 902.5MB.

I'm not worried about the situation, but it is annoying and worth being a bit concerned over given that this is new and, at least for this program in particular, unprecedented behavior.

+ Reply to Thread