+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Rift going black screen....

Soulwalker

Default Rift going black screen....

Since the patch and then emergency patch after that yesterday my game will play then all of a sudden cut out leaving my monitor black with the games mouse cursor still moveable. This happens a couple of times before it completely crash's..Once it cause a massive crash requiring a reboot and disc check. This happens in any zone on any character and even happens in the character select screen.

I've upgraded my graphic drivers, and ran repair on the game being told it had been repaired. It ran fine till the update on Wed. This is the only program this happens on. Suggestions?

Thanks
    Last edited by Gorg_Grimm; 02-06-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorg_Grimm View Post
    Since the patch and then emergency patch after that yesterday my game will play then all of a sudden cut out leaving my monitor black with the games mouse cursor still moveable. This happens a couple of times before it completely crash's..Once it cause a massive crash requiring a reboot and disc check. This happens in any zone on any character and even happens in the character select screen.

I've upgraded my graphic drivers, and ran repair on the game being told it had been repaired. It ran fine till the update on Wed. This is the only program this happens on. Suggestions?

Thanks
    Same issue for me. Also mine will just go to black screen with game cursor at startup when I hit "Play"

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3

Can you tell me what models of graphics cards are you each using? What version of Windows?

Before launching the game, right-click on your Desktop and select Screen Resolution. What is your system resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by GM Fasti View Post
    Can you tell me what models of graphics cards are you each using? What version of Windows?

Before launching the game, right-click on your Desktop and select Screen Resolution. What is your system resolution?
    I have the black screen with cursor on startup problem. While I do not know what graphic card I am using, I do run Windows 7 Ultimate, and my system resolution is 1920 x 1080 (recommended), with a Landscape Orientation.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I don't even know what a graphic card even is, and where to find it.
    Last edited by Shedelin; 02-07-2015 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Add. Info

Soulwalker

Default BSOD in Tarken

Since 2/6/2015 I have crashed with a BSOD (BCCode 116) 6 times - 4 yesterday, 2 times 2/7

I'm fine everywhere in the game except Tarken and to make it more specific - I'm fine except in really snowy areas such as Tarken Ascent. It's a heat problem with the graphics card, but nothing has changed on my computer and my drivers are up to date. I've been playing Rift a while now with this same card, graphics on High with no problem at all anywhere in the game - including Tarken. This is new since Feb. 6

I'm on a pc
    Windows 7 Home premium (up to date)
    Nvidia GT 530 video card - drivers up to date

I've always hated this zone, but now it's completely unplayable and I don't think it has anything to do with my rig. Suggestions? At the moment I've got to have the pc sitting on the desk with the cover off and fan blowing in it - just on the off chance I'm in Tarken. This is not a desirable state of affairs.

UPDATE: Having a moderately high powered fan blowing onto the graphics card from 3" away keeps the temp switching between 99C and 100C. In other areas of the game - 55-60C.
    Last edited by Frostmoon; 02-07-2015 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Update with more info

Soulwalker

i have the same issue..Yesterday i was playing no problem and today i get black screen upon hiting "play"

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Pampers View Post
    i have the same issue..Yesterday i was playing no problem and today i get black screen upon hiting "play"
    nvm sorry..it was some personal error of my sad old computer reboot repaired it...even my skype gone crazzy during the black screen

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8

Quote Originally Posted by Shedelin View Post
    I have the black screen with cursor on startup problem. While I do not know what graphic card I am using, I do run Windows 7 Ultimate, and my system resolution is 1920 x 1080 (recommended), with a Landscape Orientation.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I don't even know what a graphic card even is, and where to find it.
    No worries, we can help! If you've submitted a ticket, attach your DXDIAG report and we will let you know how to proceed.

Thanks!

Soulwalker

I have a gtx 580 and run windows 7. Res of 1920 x 1200.

My has been stable today though.
    Last edited by Gorg_Grimm; 02-08-2015 at 06:24 PM.

Soulwalker

I'm having a similar issue on my laptop as well. I can play it fine on my desktop, but before the patch, the game used to run great on my laptop with low video settings and windowed mode. Now it seems that it goes fullscreen on its own and gives me a black screen with a visible cursor (for a couple of minutes) but ongoing sound.

Here is my rift.cfg:

[Audio]
    AudioLanguage =

[Client]
    CPUBenchmarkTime = 1.871476
    DefaultVideoPreset = 0
    DocumentsDirectory = C:/Users/%USERNAME%/Documents/RIFT
    GPUBenchmarkTime = 15.727280
    HasFocusMinFrameTime = 1.000000
    LogConsole = False
    LostFocusMinFrameTime = 100.000000
    ThreadAffinityMain = 0
    UseQueryPerformanceCounter = True

[Movies]
    PlayedIntroMovie = True

[Video]
    AnisotropicFiltering = 0
    AntialiasMode = 0
    AO = False
    AutoAdjustSettings = False
    CloakMode = 1
    DetailObjectsEnabled = False
    FullscreenFXEnabled = False
    Gamma = 1.000000
    GroundClutterDensity = 1
    GroundClutterRadius = 0
    LegacyRenderer = True
    LightingComplexity = 0.000000
    MaxLOD = 1
    MaxShaderLOD = 5
    MinShaderLOD = 0
    MipFilter = 1
    MultipassTerrainEnabled = False
    ObjectDetail = 20
    ObjectDrawDistance = 60
    OverrideGamma = False
    PixelGranularity = 0.900000
    ProjectedTexturesEnabled = False
    QualityPreset = 1
    ResolutionX = 1366
    ResolutionY = 768
    settingsInitialized = True
    ShadowMode = 0
    SimpleTerrainShader = False
    TerrainDetail = 2
    TerrainDrawDistance = 2
    TextureQuality = 2
    VFXLimit = 150
    VSyncEnabled = False
    WindowMode = 1

[Window]
    Maximized = False
    as visible, WindowMode is set to 1, however, rift does not start up in windowmode, it goes fullscreen and black.

Here is my dxdiag info:
    https://gist.github.com/tanhaa/275ef91aa0d70bfc6e64

What I can't figure out is why does it go in fullscreen mode? How can one enforce rift to start in windowed mode? There used to be a nice settings option that would allow you to set that, in lieu of that, I guess one can force the cfg file, but rift doesn't seem to be reading the config file.

Any assistance will be appreciated.
    Last edited by parashuram; 02-13-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Soulwalker

I am guessing from the lack of response .. that there is no tech support over the weekend for trion? Hoping someone will try to help me come Monday morning! :-) (so bump!)

Soulwalker

Alright, considering there is no real support in this forum, what's the best way to get support from Trion for Rift, can anybody point me to the right direction? Thank you!

I dont know how powerful your pc is and do you mind playing on lower quality just to avoid crap like this but I'll still try to help.

I used to have 50% blackened screen, glitched sky, black rocks, gear changing color, arms or face stayhind behind me etc etc etc... in overall Rift is one of the worst games when it comes to optimization.

While I can run 90% of f2p games out there on medium/high (even with my non-gaming config.) Rift has FORCED me to make many adjustments to my PC just to be able to play it. Since I'm not in situation to upgrade my PC I took alternative steps.

Check out my signature, maybe something there will help you to remove your crashes / glitches / whatever. I now play on lower quality but much more stable than before (crash occurs like once in two days) and all glitches are gone.

Soulwalker

TL;DR: I can't seem to run rift in windowed mode. Launcher doesn't read my config file, it always opens in Full screen mode. What to do?
    ---------------

Hi lfreet, thanks for responding!!

I used to be able to play it fine on my laptop in windowed mode with low video quality. It gave me very decent FPS, and even on medium video quality I had good results, the only thing was that it must run in WINDOWED mode. Full screen always gave me a blackscreen!

Since the patch, the game just refuses to run in Windowed mode. For some reason, it simply starts up in full screen mode. Like I said, my config file clearly shows its set to run in Windowed mode. There are no other options to change.

I have a very decent desktop, so I can play it fine on my desktop, but that's not always available to play on :-) (got kids who love playing their games on it) so I want to be able to log in, do my things on my laptop, which just doesn't work out any more since the patch.

I have upgraded the video drivers on my laptop (just as as FYI). I will have a look at your guide and see if something helps there, but just note that my main issue here seems to be my inability to run the game in windowed mode. It's as if RIFT is not reading my .cfg file.

Thanks again for the reply.
    [Update: I can't get in RIFT to make any UI changes, but I know it was already set with the low renderer before I patched it. I have 6gb ram on my laptop, the gpu may be **** and that's why it needs to run in windowed mode, unfortunately, nothing in your guide can help me get my black screen problem solved. ]
    Last edited by parashuram; 02-17-2015 at 08:43 AM.

15.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #15

Hey folks, sorry for the delay. Anytime you run into technical issues, go ahead and submit a ticket to our support team and attach your DXDIAG report, please.

For those of you still running into trouble, please make sure to post the answers to the questions I asked previously, if you haven't already.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread