+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: INFO: Windows 10 build 9926 and rift

Try'd playing rift in virtual machine Hyper-V but had 4fps on lowest setting , try'd using vmware had 20/30fps on lowest setting but lagged and dropped to like 4 every time i saw new people also sluggish.
    Maybe since rift is on steam in theory we could stream rift from an other computer but since this is my only powerful pc in the house that option is not for me tho if other people have couple more powerful pc maybe that will work for you its not ideal
    also i have try'd Archeage and the game runs perfect on win10 including the dx11 version AND the dx9 version tested both the only issue i had with it when i closed the game my mouse disconnected , reinserting usb started it back up no biggie tho.

So that makes me believe that there is 0 issues related with DX9 so rift devs if you could look into rift please? it must be just a very easy fix related to ntdll and i know all what ntdll do is give you information about ones pc "maybe" its as easy as just adding win10 info into it if you have backwards compatibility with winxp/win7/win8 also note if you look at kernel numbers
    xp = 5.1, vista = 6.0, win7 = 6.1 , win8 = 6.2, win8.1 = 6.3 and windows 10 = version 10
    they made a massive jump in just kernel version do be equal with the windows version
    so maybe cause it cant find the version 10 that it defaults to 5.1 or something (just a guess) as i have no idea how you guys code rift :P

if you manage to solve the issue ill will be happy to test it on pts before you would release it into public
    Babymillie@Gelidra <(Hand Of The King)Warrior@Stack on 8>

Unfortunately, the patch today combined with the WIn 10 update released yesterday has made no improvement. It still crashes in the same place.

Soulwalker

Default possible reason

Some have suggested that MS may have updated to version 10 to prevent confusion between mismatched numbers, and also to avoid the 9x issue.
    People were supposed to use the entire and exact numbers for version matching, but a lot of them didn't, and so if they had named Win10 the expected Win9, then tons of programs for Windows 9x (95/95/etc) would load the wrong files and bork out big time.
    Having done lots of tech support, I find that very plausible due to the number of developers that ignore such future proofing instructions and cause problems when new versions come out.
    And yes, MS themselves aren't immune to sometimes ignoring their own guidelines/instructions.

I'm thinking about installing the Win10 preview on a separate HD for safety & compatibility reasons, though it will require me to swap drives. It's the only safe way to go with unreleased Operating Systems, and I'm too lazy to risk having to redo all my software when it hacks up a digital hairball. (Some extra work now, a whole lot less later.)
    Of course if I get around to doing that, I'll have to install and test Rift. There's a chance that some of the issues may also be related to graphics since Win10 comes with DirectX 12. Others have posted that it's been in the last several builds, though obviously I haven't checked.
    As a Rift player, I do find it's functionality under the new platform to be important to me.
    Last edited by meerling; 01-28-2015 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Adding the part I forgot.
    All theories say this chronotransplosion device will destantiate the targeted rift.
    Or maybe cause a chronic case of deja vu.
    Wanna test it?

any feedback from a dev ? as windows 7, 8 and 8.1 will be receiving the update to 10 i hope its something that is being addressed
    VENGEANCE (b'.')b

Putting the Sensual back into Non-consensual

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #20
    Rift Team

Default Windows 10 and Rift

Yes, we do intend to support Rift running on Windows 10 when it launches. We do not, however, have any systems with the pre-release versions of Windows 10 on the Rift team at the moment, and as such we are not currently working on fixing the problems mentioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pithos View Post
    Yes, we do intend to support Rift running on Windows 10 when it launches. We do not, however, have any systems with the pre-release versions of Windows 10 on the Rift team at the moment, and as such we are not currently working on fixing the problems mentioned here.
    Thank you for the response. Are you at least seeing the crash reports being sent in to see if any light can be shed on what is causing the crash? The preview builds of Windows 10 are freely available. Rift is the only game I have any issue with on it.

Urg so i am forced to use old windows until probably release of win10 officially. Microsoft is happy with current state of win10 that windows 7/8/8.1 user right now DIRECTLY can upgrade to win10 this is current number of registered uses that try'd at least win10
    http://www.neowin.net/images/uploade...0_am_story.jpg

it takes 15min to install win10 you know.... maybe 20min to install free visual studio for debug purposes , 30min or so (depends how good you code ) to fix error as we already debug the error for you, you know its ntdll related :P, compile rift (depends how fast your pc is) lets say 30min? copy rift to win10 and start rift (depending ssd,network) 10min, if you get at least loading screen well you FIXED it! push to pts if you want we will confirm it working and you can include it in next week patch, 2,211,371 users can now play rift on win10 all within lets say 3hours? well give it 4hours to grab some lunch and coffee break :P you don't even need to have a new pc just install hyper-V free in every windows (i think well at least 8/8.1) install win10 in virtual pc and test it fps will suck but you only need to be able to get past loading screen :P

2cent
    Babymillie@Gelidra <(Hand Of The King)Warrior@Stack on 8>

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandreaFride View Post
    Urg so i am forced to use old windows until probably release of win10 officially. Microsoft is happy with current state of win10 that windows 7/8/8.1 user right now DIRECTLY can upgrade to win10 this is current number of registered uses that try'd at least win10
    http://www.neowin.net/images/uploade...0_am_story.jpg

it takes 15min to install win10 you know.... maybe 20min to install free visual studio for debug purposes , 30min or so (depends how good you code ) to fix error as we already debug the error for you, you know its ntdll related :P, compile rift (depends how fast your pc is) lets say 30min? copy rift to win10 and start rift (depending ssd,network) 10min, if you get at least loading screen well you FIXED it! push to pts if you want we will confirm it working and you can include it in next week patch, 2,211,371 users can now play rift on win10 all within lets say 3hours? well give it 4hours to grab some lunch and coffee break :P you don't even need to have a new pc just install hyper-V free in every windows (i think well at least 8/8.1) install win10 in virtual pc and test it fps will suck but you only need to be able to get past loading screen :P

2cent
    yea im sorry but i have to agree with him. i have a pile of test machines available in my office(development firm) and there is not issue not to put a free version of windows 10 onto a virtual machine and at least try it quick by your developers. i have 12+ other games on my system with zero issues and a whole pile of non-game programs also without problems, im sure this isnt a difficult fix.
    VENGEANCE (b'.')b

Putting the Sensual back into Non-consensual

Soulwalker

Just adding my name to this thread about win10 as well.
    Haven't got a lot of stuff installed but everything seems to work fine on it still after this newest build version apart from Rift, so still have win7 as dual boot option just for Rift haha ;)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Grievance View Post
    i have 12+ other games on my system with zero issues and a whole pile of non-game programs also without problems, im sure this isnt a difficult fix.
    I feel the same way that's why i keep pressing the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetaro View Post
    I feel the same way that's why i keep pressing the issue.
    Exactly. Rift is the only game I have that does not work - and we are providing crash report information. I hope they are at least looking at what is causing the crash in the reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Techie Will View Post
    Same error we've had since 9879 now.

Microsoft broke a lot of application compatibility around that patch, even some of their own applications stopped working.
    yeah, this. at least with native xbox gaming support maybe rift will make make another jump there, like steam?
    #TURTLEBRAG

Glad to see you are planning to do this. But from what I have heard, the Win10 os seems to be scheduled for late 2015 (perhaps on or around October). Also, that platform is going to be using DirectX12.

My questions for Trion:
    1. When will your dev machines have win10 installed in order to created updates for Rift? My concern is if Trion waits for Win10 launch, and Rift has not been updated to run on it by then, you will have a lot of players unable to access the game if it is not compatible with Win10 by that time.

2. Since that version of Windows will have DirectX12 on it, how will you implement this since currently Rift still uses DirectX9? I truly wished Trion had moved to the later versions of DirectX because it was a PITA to have to "add" DirectX9 to my machine just to run Rift.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by lynspottery View Post
    Glad to see you are planning to do this. But from what I have heard, the Win10 os seems to be scheduled for late 2015 (perhaps on or around October). Also, that platform is going to be using DirectX12.

My questions for Trion:
    1. When will your dev machines have win10 installed in order to created updates for Rift? My concern is if Trion waits for Win10 launch, and Rift has not been updated to run on it by then, you will have a lot of players unable to access the game if it is not compatible with Win10 by that time.

2. Since that version of Windows will have DirectX12 on it, how will you implement this since currently Rift still uses DirectX9? I truly wished Trion had moved to the later versions of DirectX because it was a PITA to have to "add" DirectX9 to my machine just to run Rift.
    You would think Trion would be jumping for joy and happy as hell to get started on Windows 10 development as quick as possible, seeing as how Microsoft turning Windows into a "service" rather than a "product is sure to benefit developers everywhere.

Free upgrades to Windows 10 for the first year after release ( the troglodytes still clinging to the severely outdated Windows XP and Vista will have to spend some money finally ) to make sure everyone gets on board.

One OS on every device. No more "this version for phone, this version for tablet, this version for desktop". More importantly, no more "gotta support XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1". A truly unified OS meaning only one OS for devs to support ( except for those who like kicking themselves in the teeth developing for things like Mac ).

Now if Microsoft only does the smart thing and makes the OS only available in 64bit or higher architecture, the gaming world will finally be a better place.
    Last edited by Kralon; 02-03-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralon View Post
    You would think Trion would be jumping for joy and happy as hell to get started on Windows 10 development as quick as possible, seeing as how Microsoft turning Windows into a "service" rather than a "product is sure to benefit developers everywhere.

Free upgrades to Windows 10 for the first year after release ( the troglodytes still clinging to the severely outdated Windows XP and Vista will have to spend some money finally ) to make sure everyone gets on board.

One OS on every device. No more "this version for phone, this version for tablet, this version for desktop". More importantly, no more "gotta support XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1". A truly unified OS meaning only one OS for devs to support ( except for those who like kicking themselves in the teeth developing for things like Mac ).

Now if Microsoft only does the smart thing and makes the OS only available in 64bit or higher architecture, the gaming world will finally be a better place.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly, but when a company is basically run for profit where the "suits" call the shots, you gotta wonder how the "suits" will react when they come in to the office one morning after the Win10 launch and find out their profit stream has just dried up...why? Because they failed to see the light at the end of the hallway.

I feel sorry for the devs since they really have to do what they are given to do, as opposed to being proactive with their development and fixing things before they go south. There has been a switch in how the game has been addressed from Beta to now. It seems more new content is being put out and little change to some of the bugs still in the game from as far back as beta.

The fact that the game still requires DirectX9 to run, you have to wonder why an update path was not built in for future changes. Seems to be a no-brainer but someone wasn't thinking ahead when that little detail was implemented.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast