+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Random game crashes since Nov 26th (last patch)

Default Random game crashes since Nov 26th (last patch)

I've only played a few hours here and there over the last few days, but many folks in our guild, and I have witnessed it a couple of times since Sunday (30th), have been experiencing random game (client) crashes. They have happened everywhere in the world, across all expansions, multiple hardware configurations and even just standing in one spot with absolutely nothing happening in-game. Keep sending in crash reports. Been told the crash reports are not saved to disk, been looking in my directories (Win 7) and cant find anything, so perhaps that is true (?). Anyone else experiencing this kind of game crash frequency lately?

Shadowlander

Same here, random crashes, sending report every time.
    Some days crashes are rare, but other day are quite common, and I can't discern why are they happening.

same with me. I thought at first it was my graphics card 560 TI or driver, so updated to the latest 344.48 and used FurMark 1.15 to test. No issues were found after running multiple tests (plus no other game MMORPG game has crash issues like Rift). Ran a 10hr memtest and no problems. So what happens, and this occurs anywhere across all zones (as OP stated), it will hang for a moment like a latency spike (but latency is fine), objects around me are moving or mobs are still beating on me, but I cannot move or do anything, then the game crash popup occurs and I go ahead and send the report and the game restarts. This has been happening for over a week now.

4.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #4

Just to make sure it's not a game data issue, would you mind running the client repair in Glyph?

Restart your PC, sign into Glyph, right-click on RIFT and select Repair.

Once that's done, get back in game and see if the same crashes continue.

I appreciate it.

Same here

Crash usually after being in world event or long time nightmare rifts farmings
    i also notice map having black background (but still see porticilums) and then when i tp to main city Draumheim = instand crash

if im online for like 8hours in day i usualy crash once or twice

Crash happens on windows 10 and windows 8.1 (same pc) full re download of rift already
    its not data files being corupted

Pre 3.0 i NEVER crached

Full rift settings (all max)

Grtz
    Babymillie@Gelidra <(Hand Of The King)Warrior@Stack on 8>

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandreaFride View Post
    i also notice map having black background (but still see porticilums) and then when i tp to main city Draumheim = instand crash
    Yep map turning black is a sure sign that Rift leaked so much memory that it can't even load the map anymore, and will crash really soon. Usually happens around the 3GB mark for me under wine.
    Though I had that problem since, like, forever.

My client however does crash more often "spontaneosly" now, like, just standing there looking at my inventory, or in the middle of a dungeon fighting a trash group etc., that didn't happen as often before.

Fasti, thank you for the reply - okay I went ahead and did as directed, ran the repair on rift. I asked a couple of guildies to do the same. Within 2 hours I spontaneously crashed while standing at the guild bank about to make a withdrawal. The crash flow is as follows: usually in the process of doing something like at the bank, in Rift store, running around in any of the main cities, transitioning from one zone to another, trade to another person (not in group or raid) and once just dancing in the fountain by myself (at least these are what I remember). Never a crash in raid or group, or fighting mobs, adventures, zone events, invasions or rifts. Just before the crash the game will freeze for a few seconds where I see things around me moving but I cannot, once or twice the whole screen "winked" black for a sec, then I get the popup crash and client (game) crashes. I always get back into the game, have not lost anything and always right where I left off.

Now the guildies I asked to do the repair as well, each have had a least one game crash since the repair. I asked them to log in to this thread and post their observations.

Some background on my system: Win 7 Pro 64bit (patched up to date); nVidia GTX 560 TI w/ 344.75 driver (factory OC'd); 12Gbs Ram; 2x 1Tb disks; Core i5-4690K (OC'd). I run the game with no background programs running including Glyph and only have 2 addons installed: quest finder and map extension. I run the game on ultra but manage Anisotropic and Antialiasing with nVidia config and zero out the in-game values. I have tried running the game vanilla without addons and just the high setting (without nvidia config) but the game still crashes.

Hope this info is useful.
    Last edited by Janella; 12-06-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: grammer

8.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #8

It does help, thanks! Just as a test of the various causes of the crash, can you put the game settings on medium and let me know if you still experience a crash?

Also, again, just as a test, can you try playing without having your processor overclocked and see if the crashes stop?

Please let me know how that turns out. We'll keep watching this thread for additional reports of crashes so we can better track down what's causing them, and get this resolved.

Thanks!

Oh my! Was not even going to look at this thread until Monday thinking "they don't do weekends", but ohhhh there you are! So okay I just finished putting my processor back to factory settings. Let me play the game for awhile with just that change, just so we can eliminate that as a cause if the game still crashes (easier to test with only one variable tweaked than several changes all at once). If it continues to crash with the processor un-OC'd then I will play on medium video settings. I will get back with you.

Once again: Thank You for responding!

Was not available until late today for gameplay. Today, two crashes: one in Meridian at the bank about to move one item into bag; one running from Moonshade porticulum to the quartermaster. This was with the processor not OC'd but with game still on ultra using nvidia config to control the Anisotropic and Antialiasing settings. No addons enabled, running in Fullscreen Window mode (always in this mode, which I forgot to mention) in 1920x1080.

Next I will play as above but only in Medium graphics mode as requested. To summarise:
    1. No processor OC
    2. No addons
    3. No nVidia config custom settings (default settings)
    4. Game video settings set to "medium"

Let's see what happens.
    Last edited by Janella; 12-09-2014 at 07:41 PM. Reason: forgot item

Have not been able to play for awhile, bad cold-flu thing Have been playing today for about three hours and no random game crashes (with the settings mentioned in my last post) ... yet. One thing though, zippy performance but lousy graphics. ugh miss my settings.

Soulwalker

I have also been having the same crashing issues since last patch(Fae Yule), along with minimizing issues. Mine happen anywhere, anytime. Battle, moving, zoning, Instant Adventures. Usually the screen will go black, then I bring up my task manager and the game is just "Not Responding" and I have to close are restart.

The minimizing has been happening since I downloaded the game. Haven't found a solution, very annoying.

I also run my game on Ultra settings. No overclocking on my graphics card.

Here are my specs as well:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    AMD Radion HD 7800 Series
    8GB ram
    3.30 GHz Intel Core i5-2500K CPU

+ Reply to Thread