+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Rift 3.0 still crashing on Mac using Emulators

The fix worked for me too and I set the file to read-only as well.

It just shows that the problem may be quite simple.

General of Telara

Indeed, that EULA reset works for me too as workaround.

Also, it turned out that resetting the CPU affinity from taskset for some reason doesn't really work. While the CPU-usage does increase, performance is still rather horrible. Now that I'm able to launch it without taskset, performance is back to where it seemed pre-3.0.
    I still have no clue why, I'm pretty sure I allowed all wine-related processes all 4 cores.

Though I'm still rather shocked about the amount of expensive thread synchronization Rift does, I think writing a kernel module or using shared memory sync primitives still could improve rift performance a lot (apart from improving Rift's code itself, of course ^^). But that's a highly non-trivial task, and platform specific too, hence no one did it yet beyond limited demonstration code unfortunately.

General of Telara

Good news, a fix (workaround? still not sure if Rift is actually doing it correctly) has been found by Stefan from Codeweavers:

http://pastebin.ca/2868204

So far it seems it fixes the startup crashes for me, however logging out back to the character screen still crashes like every third or fourth time, but it always had a fair chance to crash there for me. Comment also says there may be more code places that need this treatment.

Fix is not in upstream wine yet though from what I can tell, Stefan said he handed it over to another developer to look more indepth at it.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    Good news, a fix (workaround? still not sure if Rift is actually doing it correctly) has been found by Stefan from Codeweavers:

http://pastebin.ca/2868204
    Interesting. Did you grab WINE off of git and build?

For what little it's worth - I have no crashes in Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac running under Mavericks 10.9.5, with RIFT loaded in Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 build 7601. I get better response when I dedicate a spare mouse to the VM. But no crashes.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaviel View Post
    Interesting. Did you grab WINE off of git and build?
    Yes I do build wine myself, based on the CSMT branch you can grab at github:
    https://github.com/stefand/wine/commits/master

Still not a single crash at launch so far, only occasional ones when logging back out to the character screen.
    Made me happy enough to purchase the Infusion Edition, I just hope Trion keeps working on those lag problems...

Soulwalker

Yes I do build wine myself, based on the CSMT branch you can grab at github:
    https://github.com/stefand/wine/commits/master
    Cool, thanks. Any ideas when this is merged into WINE, itself?

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaviel View Post
    Cool, thanks. Any ideas when this is merged into WINE, itself?
    Not too soon I'm afraid. It is in Crossover from what I understand, but to be good enough for WINE, it has to be without ugly workarounds, and from what I understand, it conflicts too much with the changes towards DirectX 10/11, so it got pushed back on the priority list.

Plane Walker

Not too soon I'm afraid. It is in Crossover from what I understand, but to be good enough for WINE, it has to be without ugly workarounds, and from what I understand, it conflicts too much with the changes towards DirectX 10/11, so it got pushed back on the priority list.
    I think Ciaviel may be referring to when the Rift crash workaround will be included in WINE and not the CSMT patches.

My guess is it'll be included as early as WINE 1.7.31 this coming November 14th.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kenjitamura View Post
    I think Ciaviel may be referring to when the Rift crash workaround will be included in WINE and not the CSMT patches.

My guess is it'll be included as early as WINE 1.7.31 this coming November 14th.
    Yes, this. (The RIFT crash patch, not the CSMT patches.) I didn't see the crash in the WINE bugfixes, but I also haven't looked recently.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2