+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New patch crashing on mac emulators

Soulwalker

Default New patch crashing on mac emulators

Hi I know many people playing the game are not running on a mac but ever since I patched the game has been crashing while loading the initial selection screen. Im using crossover for mac to run rift. Anybody else having this problem or has found a way around it? Ive tried re-installing and still getting crash reports.

Telaran

It would appear that I'm not the only one in this boat.
    I haven't been able to run Rift on CrossOver for the last few months.
    I tried just plain Wine, but that has the same exact problem as well.

On the several occasions where I've asked TRION for help, I've gotten nada but a "Sorry, we don't support Mac or Linux. Is there anything else I can help you with?" or "We haven't heard from you in 3 days, so we assume your issue must be resolved."

Silly TRION..... I don't respond because I'm waiting for YOU to say something lol

Soulwalker

Mine had been working totally fine until the servers were shut down today. Now crashes at about 14% loading the character selection screen

Soulwalker

Ditto, but on Linux. I can get in some times, so I wonder if it's partially a problem with them? (That is, trying to get character data.) I can't reproduce it, either.

Anyone start a thread on the Crossover or WINE forums?

Soulwalker

I started a thread on the WINE forums: https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23624

Soulwalker

I've started a thread on the Crossover Rift forum.
    https://www.codeweavers.com/compatib...m=1;msg=168092
    Rift was working fine for me on OS X Yosemite, 10.10 prior to the expansion release.
    Crashes during the loading screen since the Rift 3.0 update.
    Last edited by Kaelena; 10-22-2014 at 08:32 PM.

General of Telara

Same for me, crashes at 14% most of the time, but always before 100% in like 20 tries

Rift always had an annyoingly high chance to crash at the login screen, but now it seems like a solid 100% chance.

Though it was working fine yesterday right after the patch
    Too bad, I was just about to buy the NT Infusion Edition after seeing that NT didn't break it on Linux+wine...

Soulwalker

Fix for the Linux users, at least. Setting taskset before calling WINE lets you log in without crashing.

General of Telara

Yea I also figured it was a race condition, the crashing thread crashes shorty after being created, from what I can read out of the minidump the crashhandler wants to send to Trion, using winededbg.

Last lines my rift.log shows are
    Code:
    [NOT][ENG] 09:40:46.607 Requested select authentication (92% complete)
    [INF][ENG] 09:40:46.973 Login request successful
    [NOT][ENG] 09:40:46.973 Selection authentication accepted (96% complete)
    [NOT][ENG] 09:40:46.974 Displaying character list (100% complete)
    [INF][ENG] 09:40:47.111 Retrieve realm list request successful
    The "taskset -c 1" command works indeed, and seems you can just restore affinity after logging in, just need to figure out the process ID and do "taskset -p 0xF <pid>" for a quadcore CPU for example. But that's certainly not a convenient solution...

Btw. Stefan Dösinger is now officially my personal hero, not only did his command stream work increase performance a lot (okay henry verbeet started it AFAIK), but he already helped me out on rift a few times.

Fun fact: http://debug.triongames.com/ greets you with an Apache test page running on *drumroll* CentOS
    I'd really like to know who's responsible for that one...

Soulwalker

Is there any way this fix could be applied to mac?

General of Telara

I'm afraid not, all discussions I found about how to set CPU affinity on OS X basically ended with "OS X doesn't have any such feature".

Anyway, I've now played a bit after resetting the affinity of rift.exe, wineserver and all other wine-related processes, but performance is still rather rubish. Framerate is good when you don't move, but moving around causes a lot of stutter.

I'm afraid it's because of the offloading of culling to a separate thread that Daglar mentioned recently. Depending on how it's implemented, threading performs very poorly in wine (some limitations due to fundamental differences between windows and linux/posix threads as I understood it). I wonder if we can disable that feature somehow...otherwise we might be stuck with rubbish performance even when the crash gets fixed.
    Last edited by Lynx3d; 10-23-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelena View Post
    I've started a thread on the Crossover Rift forum.
    Rift was working fine for me on OS X Yosemite, 10.10 prior to the expansion release.
    Crashes during the loading screen since the Rift 3.0 update.
    Come to think of it, Rift hasn't worked for me since I updated to OS X Mavericks. Still running Mavericks 10.9.4, haven't gotten around to Yosemite yet.

I've tried running the old patcher after wiping Glyph and its files off my machine, but it still crashes, as does Glyph.
    I saw on the CrossOver page for Glyph, it seems to work on Linux but not on Macs (I was actually that one person who voted that it was "Known Not To Work").

If anyone from TRION is reading this, and you don't mind me asking simply out of pure curiosity, what's the reasoning behind not having a Mac or Linux installer for Rift and/or your other games? Is there just not enough of a demand for one?
    Last edited by Yaros the Hawk; 10-23-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Soulwalker

I was just able to get in and check out the new content, after a fresh install from crossover (on mac). Only worked once however and now its back to crashing at about 10%

edit: gotten in twice now after several crashes
    Last edited by Telluric; 10-23-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Soulwalker

Finally managed to get it to run with the taskset command (which I've never seen/used before). Had a hard time finding an example of usage with Crossover though.

taskset -c 0 /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle RIFT --cx-app 'c:/Program Files/Glyph/GlyphClient.exe'

That's what I ended up with, but performance was bad. Really hope it won't stay this way.

Soulwalker

Another patch and still not working on my mac, hope it works soon. Only had an hour play time with the new expansion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast