+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patch shutting down PC

Default Patch shutting down PC

Hello,

I wanted to come back to rift after a long absence, but I can't get the client to finish patching; My PC keeps shutting down in the middle of the patch, this will happen even if I am not doing anything else on the computer, a friend had me try to reduce my processor % during patching but that has not worked either, any help would be appreciated.

My PC stats

Motherboard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    Product CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
    CPU AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
    Version AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Data Width 64 bits
    L2 Cache Size 8,192 KB
    Approximate Current Clock Speed 4,014 Mhz
    Approximate Maximum Clock Speed 4,014 Mhz
    BIOS BIOS Date: 09/17/12 19:02:12 Ver: 04.06.05
    Date 9/16/2012
    Version ALASKA - 1072009
    Memory slots available on motherboard 4
    Memory Chip DIMM0
    RAM 8,192 MB
    Speed 1,333 ns
    Memory Chip DIMM1
    RAM 8,192 MB
    Speed 1,333 ns
    Memory Chip DIMM2
    RAM 8,192 MB
    Speed 1,333 ns
    Memory Chip DIMM3
    RAM 8,192 MB
    Speed 1,333 ns

Soulwalker

This used to happen to me ages ago and it was a power issue. My PSU had troubles keeping up and would restart the PC. Check that to ensure you have more than enough power.

The other thing is heat. That issue was resolved by simply cleaning out my internal parts with some canned air. I had a lot of dust built up and it was causing issues.

Soulwalker

You could download CoreTemp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/) and monitor your CPU temperature during the patch.

If it is excessively high, then the CPU overheating is likely the problem.
    To temporarely get around the problem, you could try go to windows task manager -> right click the process -> select affinity and select only one core. One core = a lot less heat.

If it the CPU / temperature is no where near alarming levels and only the Rift patcher and no other game / program gives you trouble, then it's probably a software problem (either the rift patcher having some odd incompatibility with your hardware, or the windows registry being corrupt).

Instant shutdowns are usually a sign of an overheated CPU or faulty hardware (the power supply or even the motherboard) though. Software problems typically only crash the program, freeze the system or restart with a BSOD.

Quote Originally Posted by meckeard2000 View Post
    This used to happen to me ages ago and it was a power issue. My PSU had troubles keeping up and would restart the PC. Check that to ensure you have more than enough power.

The other thing is heat. That issue was resolved by simply cleaning out my internal parts with some canned air. I had a lot of dust built up and it was causing issues.
    So I opened my tower which I don't think I have done since the PC was built....and I can't believe this problem just arose, I never seen so much dust in my life lol, Anyway, cleaning it out did the trick, thank you!

+ Reply to Thread