+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any graphics engine and SLI updates coming with 3.0?

Telaran

Default Any graphics engine and SLI updates coming with 3.0?

I was wondering with the upcoming expansion in a week are there any graphics engine changes incoming ? Like for example a fix for the famous shadows flicker issue, or like the poor SLI scaling which was existing from day one. More specifically the load of the both GPU's does not go over 30-35%, where in other games it is a solid 98% all the time. This of course will give us more FPS cause right now when I go in a populated greater rift it is a disaster, 1-2 fps is not fun. The cards in my case are more than good, GTX 560 Ti's but even cards like GTX690 have this issue, which is a joke for a monster card like that. I think that the graphics engine will benefit from some much much neede updates cause let's be honest, it is not the greatest out there. But the game truly deserves it to be.

Telaran

Any developer care to answer?

Shadowlander

Nothing but silence from those guys on the sli/xfire problem for weeks and weeks. Don't get your hopes up. It was funny seeing your post because I decided to change things up and try Elite Dangerous, a space MMO. It is in BETA and they patched it today with "Improved graphics support for SLI and crossfire". It made my decision to move away from Rift easy

Telaran

well, I really hope that they start listening and replying, cause this is a rather pretty important issue that they need to address and it is definitely impacting the gameplay in a huge way. Developers, please respond ?

Do what I'm doing ... refusing to spend another penny in this game until it is fixed.

They won't fix a "free to play" game (even when I just shelled out $540 between me and my wife for 2 $150 expansions and 2 $120 Patron passes that they busted and aren't even sending a Dev here once a month to even say "Hey guys, we're sorry, we are working on it and we don't have an ETA, but we haven't forgotten about you." then they don't DESERVE a penny from me, a massively loyal and money spending customer. I'll continue to eat up band width and not spend money and eventually, when their pay checks start bouncing, maybe then they will look around and figure out why people are leaving.

Can you hear me now?
    Last edited by Proclus_Lycaeus; 10-01-2014 at 08:17 AM.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

I'm surprised this wasn't a top priority fix. This was a pretty huge thing to break and it's been over a month.

Add in the fact that when people come back to play 3.0 and start experiencing epileptic seizures because shadows are enabled i think that'll be a huge turnoff to returning players.

Pretty sure that gfx development is ongoing & only once some part of it is ready to test on the PTS for example will it get filtered out to us. At least that's how things usually go.
    "The difference between stupidity & genius is that genius has limits!"

Champion

As bad and as poorly unoptimized as the GameBryo engine is, SLI and Crossfire Scaling have little to nothing to do with the game developer and fall almost solely upon the shoulders of the graphics card vendor (nvidia/amd). It's like blaming Ford/Chevy that your new car is getting poor lap times when you are running $50 street treads..
    I suggest you open support tickets with your card manufacturer rather than blame Trion for nV/AMD shortcomings. I personally gave up on multi-gpu and instead stick with the single gpu instead.. far fewer issues and not having to wait for SLI/CFX profiles.
    CPU: AMD FX 9370@ 5.1Ghz Cooling: Corsair H100
    Mem: 32GB GSkill 1.5V 9-9-9
    HDD: 1 OCZ SSD (boot drive), 2x OCZ SSD in Raid 0 (game drive) 1x 2TB (backup)
    GPU: Sapphire 290
    Asus VH242H (1920x1080p) X3 for 5760 x 1080 Goodness

Soulwalker

That's not entirely correct. While some work has to be done on Nvidia/Amd's side to get the correct NVAPI or Inter-frame dependency configuration with whatever the specific parameters of a given game engine are. The rest is entirely up to the developers to implement correctly. Thus, SLi/Crossfire support is directly dependent on the integration of standardized protocols within a given game engine. Basically, SLi is made possible by Video drivers, yes, but its implementation, effectiveness and support has to be written directly into a game engine by the developers of said engine. Nvidia didn't do anything to rift to make shadows broken for SLi users, Trion did. Bottom line.

Something that would also be nice to see, is support for refresh rates over 60Hz, so that the game doesn't override the refresh rate set in Windows...
    Fantasy - 51 Justicar - Eyes of Eternity - Vigil (retired)
    Electrah - 61 Riftstalker - Harshmallows - Gelidra (retired)
    No longer playing Rift

Shadows are STILL borked for me in 3.0.

I tried 3 different drivers for my 2 GTX 780 cards (the very latest, one from Feb 2014, and another) and no matter the setting in game, it's the same old thing.

This is insane. It's been several MONTHS now that this has been broken.

What cards is Trion testing on, cause it sure doesn't work on GTX 580s or GTX 780s under Windows 7.

Soulwalker

The game engine still sucks. Specs:
    CPU: AMD FX-8320 Eight Core CPU @ 4.3 GHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 660 2BG/OC (overclocked to 1.2 GHz)
    RAM: DDR3 Nanya Elixir 8GB 1600 MHz
    And fps still sucks. The games is using about 50% of my gpu and 30% of my cpu. FPS is about 30-40 in dungeons. And no, im not playing on high graphics. It is sad how they have not fixed the engline yet. In 2014 it would be logical for a game to be multi-threaded.

Telaran

I can't even play with maxxed out graphics anymore.

I've had to go down to the Low setting just to get any form of decent fps now, whereas before expansion I was playing with everything maxxed out (except for AA, which I had set to edge smoothing).

Anything more then Low on the slider = slideshow.

I found out an interesting thing over the weekend ... Shadows work on the same hardware and same video drivers under Windows 8.1 Pro but not under Windows 7 Pro.

I have 3 Samsung 840 Pro SSD's and a removable drive cage in my PC (One drive has Windows 7, one has Linux, one now has Windows 8.1). I mainly used either 7 or Linux, but just for kicks, I did a full backup to my NAS drive of 7, powered down, ejected my Windows 7 SSD, popped in my another SSD and installed Windows 8.1 Pro. After installing everything and updating, I tried Rift and now everything works on Ultra settings with Shadows.

So after restoring other files from my NAS and making the choice to now run mainly in Windows 8.1, I powered down, put in my Windows 7 SSD and reinstalled Windows 7 Pro from scratch. Patched up, USED THE SAME nVidia drivers, installed Rift, and tried Ultra with Shadows and ... Shadows caused massive "flashing".

So bottom line: Same hardware, same video driver, different OS ... shadows work under 8.1, don't under 7.

+ Reply to Thread