+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Infrequent crashes

Soulwalker

Default Infrequent crashes

I'm using Rift on Steam, on Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit, everything updated fully, and everything working quite fine in all other gaming aspects. Only Rift is causing trouble, and that in a way I've never see before.

First off, let me link to a reddit post where I'm describing my initial data on this situation: http://www.reddit.com/r/Rift/comment...cular_kind_of/ (due to my own sanity, it's much easier to rely on what's already been written).

Since reporting that, I've had additional experience.

When I go and "verify game cache" in Steam after a crash, typically, some files will be reported as somehow in error, and Steam will proceed to redownload the entire thing.

Glyph will also reinstall, and depending on how many files were reported in error by Steam, will prompt a patch that takes a certain amount of time.

I am not able to solve this problem - nothing makes a difference (been running e.g. with and without page file, and both fullscreen and fullscreen windowed mode). Crashes will appear out of nowhere, without any sort of consistency to what might cause it.

So like, please help. That'd be neat.

(And please do note that this is only a Rift problem. Been gaming on this rig since '09, and no other game has been this buggered. Even back when I played Rift before the expansions (been away for a few years), there was nothing like this.
    Last edited by headlesschicken; 09-19-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Soulwalker

Default Update

So, I decided to run a test on the video settings, manipulating each one to see if stability would change.

Starting with Spell Detail, which did nothing for stability, I moved on to Particle Quantity, and lowering that to 100 (down from 750) seems to have removed the crashes entirely.

Now, inbetween manipulation of those 2 sliders, I found myself wondering why rift.exe and rifterrorhandler.exe weren't in the firewall exceptions, and decided to add them - noting that the one the game adds itself is the riftpatchlive.exe one, but also thinking there'd probably be some sort of spooky inheritance going on. Nevertheless, the stubbornness of rift.exe in going away after a crash made me try that out.

What remains for me is to game without the firewall rules additions, because I'm guessing it was indeed the Particle Quantity slider that helped. If not, I'll reverse these choices (my fault for making TWO changes in ONE test step...).

I'll return with an update once that is done - I obviously hope to have isolated the incident, so that we might be able to take a look at what could be going on in the particle department that causes an exe file to be so stubborn after a crash.

Soulwalker

Default Update 2

Okay, so, now I've played the game a lot, without the two exe files added to the firewall. Still no crashes.

Particles do indeed seem to be the culprit. But that being said... this makes little sense to me. How can a graphics setting cause an exe file to behave like what I've been describing? There's gotta be something spooky wrong with some bit of code somewhere.

I don't even know if others are experiencing the same, and I guess you could say my problem was "solved", but really, all I've done is prove that something's wrong with the particle subsystem. Something's really wrong.

Whatever the code flow looks like, when particles are involved, I really think it deserves a closer look, if for nothing else than for the principle of ensuring that the game engine isn't running amok.

+ Reply to Thread