(NOTE) This fix will not perform miracles. It will not make a low-end budget computer run RIFT at maximum settings with 120+ FPS. Use this only if you believe your system is capable of pushing MUCH higher FPS than what it's currently doing using the same system setup.(NOTE)

Hey guys, since I got my new laptop and started playing this game again, I have been getting terrible framerates. I was forced to use the low quality renderer, which brought me up to 60fps in low-demand situations/zones.

I'm on an ASUS g73jh gaming laptop
CPU: Intel Core i7 Q740 @ default 1.73ghz quad core with hyperthreading (8threads)
RAM: PC3-10700 8gb (4x2gb)
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon 5870 (dedicated) 1024mb GDDR5 @ 1000mhz GPU clock 700MHz DirectX Support: 11.0, Shaders 800, Pixel Fillrate: 11.2GPixels/s, Texture Fillrate 28.0GTexel/s Bus Width: 128, Bit Bandwidth 64.0 GB/s

Everything here is default, nothing is overclocked

After playing like this for a while I started getting used to the low quality renderer with low texture renderer, and all graphics settings drawn down to the minimum values.

One day, while browsing the interwebz, I came across a thread where somebody said they had a fix for the issue. It's basically to replace the D3D9.dll file in the RIFT folder with one that was designed to fix terrible framerates in Fallout New Vegas. The DLL basically just tells RIFT to use older rendering methods by spoofing the game to think it's a much older card.

You can get the file here, as well as more information on it. http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34970/?
I recommend you download the D3D9Gen b3 which allows you to specify which card you're using and generate your own D3D9.dll file. You will have to register in order to download this one, when prompted to pay for membership, just leave all the boxes un-checked, and scroll to the bottom to register for free.

Once you have the D3D9.dll file, be sure to make a backup of the original file you're replacing. The file goes in your /Programs/Glyph/Games/RIFT/Live folder

Other changes that I made to my system in addition to this is to Un-Park the CPU cores (google "un park cpu"), and the shortcut to my glyph launcher looks like this: Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Glyph\GlyphClient.exe" -dx9

The only down-side to this that I've noticed is sometimes things will render strangely. Examples: Leaves in trees might appear boxy sometimes, transparent sections of my cape rendered as black. certain hair colors rendered green.

Using this D3D9 fix caused my framerates to go from 60 at minimum setitngs to over 90, now I'm using medium settings and getting 50-80, where before I was getting less than 10