+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New pc - strong graphic card - new graphic bug?

Rift Disciple

Default New pc - strong graphic card - new graphic bug?

Hey.
    So i bought a new PC with AMD Radeon r9 280x graphic card, playing on "high" rift graphic quality, and sometimes player's heads having some wierd lines connected to them. like the picture above:

Even if my graphic driver isnt up to date (and im pretty sure he is because its all fresh new) I dont get why this is happening

Speaking of, anyone knows why my FPS is still kinda low in raids etc? I expected my raids to be smoother than before now with the new computer but they arent.

...anyone knows?
    Last edited by Tyrannos; 06-13-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Removed link to inappropriate content

Rift Disciple

As other people said (a lot of time), the engine rift is based on is not well optimized (other would use harsh words... but I'm polite), so even with the brand new PC and the latest video card you can't have the boost you may have imagined. Let's hope they will change the engine in the future (yeah, it sounds as if I believe in Santa )

Can't help you with the graphic bug in the screenshot.
    FT 4/4 - EE 4/5 - GA 4/4 - PBB 3/5 - IG 2/3 - BoB 2/8

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalCrime View Post
    Even if my graphic driver isnt up to date (and im pretty sure he is because its all fresh new) I dont get why this is happening
    Well, make sure you do have the latest non-Beta release of Catalyst, i.e. 14.4 from 25/04/2014

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

And turn off unnecessary background programs/sevices.

As has been also mentioned in previous threads, its not the graphics card that matters in this game, its your CPU.

See, the game runs in a single thread on your CPU, thus only utilises one core of it. Plus, its a 32 bit engine, whereas most modern systems are multicore 64 bit systems.

So the engine is not making proper use of the facilities your PC has (this is what happens when its not been optimised), and is attempting to force all the games graphics and code through a single core of your CPU, and not even really using your GPU other than to draw the display.
    Zaviel - Tylia - Planar Legion

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    As has been also mentioned in previous threads, its not the graphics card that matters in this game, its your CPU.

See, the game runs in a single thread on your CPU, thus only utilises one core of it. Plus, its a 32 bit engine, whereas most modern systems are multicore 64 bit systems.

So the engine is not making proper use of the facilities your PC has (this is what happens when its not been optimised), and is attempting to force all the games graphics and code through a single core of your CPU, and not even really using your GPU other than to draw the display.

yeah my windows is 64 bit...my CPU is pretty good tho.

I have something like this on my laptop. Mine is a cape bug. Everyone I can see wearing a cape looks like the cape is sticking into the ground like a spike.

Quote Originally Posted by The Raki View Post
    I have something like this on my laptop. Mine is a cape bug. Everyone I can see wearing a cape looks like the cape is sticking into the ground like a spike.
    You can turn off cape effects (in video settings). I turned them off (but left effects for my cape on) and have not experienced cape bugs since. I used to see some pretty crazy stuff, like capes extending horizontally as far as the eye could see.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalCrime View Post
    Hey.
    So i bought a new PC with AMD Radeon r9 280x graphic card, playing on "high" rift graphic quality, and sometimes player's heads having some wierd lines connected to them. like the picture above:

http://s11.postimg.org/nb0vd52y9/ssss.png

Speaking of, anyone knows why my FPS is still kinda low in raids etc? I expected my raids to be smoother than before now with the new computer but they arent.

...anyone knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Raki View Post
    When I clicked on that link it took me to a site with woman's breasts. You might want to store your photos on a less ban worthy site.

Yeah, it's a bug with the cape software that crops up now and then. Just disable capes. I think it's the physics option?

Rift Disciple

well caltie its a known site so.. :P

made the cloack to be "Mine only" so i hope it will sort this.

Soulwalker

Ignore every post above mine. Although the info posted above can be relevant to a lot of performance issues with Rift, it is NOT what you're experience. I owned the R9 280x, what you are experience is a known problem with the graphics card itself. The entire R9 line suffers from Texture artifacting as well as rendering issues (Which includes the "lines connecting" to your characters head). Some people report that downloading the beta drivers fixes this, but I would not trust a temporary fix.

It's important to note that all the R9 280x's suffer from this (Whether you have a reference card or a 3rd part such as Asus or MSI). Some people get lucky and never experience it but I personally have experienced it. My suggestion would be to either return the 280x and get a GTX 770 (They're about equivalent as far as performance goes, each one has pro's and cons as far as features goes but performance wise they're equivalent). Or if you're insist on an AMD card I'd suggest waiting for the next line of cards to come out.

Feel free to google "r9 280x artifacting" to find a whole lot of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Justdefied View Post
    Ignore every post above mine. Although the info posted above can be relevant to a lot of performance issues with Rift, it is NOT what you're experience. I owned the R9 280x, what you are experience is a known problem with the graphics card itself. The entire R9 line suffers from Texture artifacting as well as rendering issues (Which includes the "lines connecting" to your characters head). Some people report that downloading the beta drivers fixes this, but I would not trust a temporary fix.

It's important to note that all the R9 280x's suffer from this (Whether you have a reference card or a 3rd part such as Asus or MSI). Some people get lucky and never experience it but I personally have experienced it. My suggestion would be to either return the 280x and get a GTX 770 (They're about equivalent as far as performance goes, each one has pro's and cons as far as features goes but performance wise they're equivalent). Or if you're insist on an AMD card I'd suggest waiting for the next line of cards to come out.

Feel free to google "r9 280x artifacting" to find a whole lot of problems.
    You'll find just as many results for GTX 770 artifacting. You can find thousands of results from searching any GPU and artifacting, tbh. I've heard of a lot of issues with the R9 290 and 290X but I haven't often heard of the 280X having these issues. Also, from a quick google search of "r9 280x artifacting" all the results on the first page are with the Asus DirectCU II model.

Artifacting is a semi-common issue with ALL video cards, some more common than others (usually to do with driver or heat issues)... it's not just an R9 problem.

It's possible that it's just the card, but it's also possible there could be a driver, heat or game issue.
    Last edited by Hieb; 06-13-2014 at 06:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread