+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some advice

Soulwalker

Default Need some advice

hello there guys/girls i just got a new computer so i could play rift because my laptop wasn't up to scratch. But i'm still having no luck at all with my new comp i'm only doing around 20-30fps in high populated area's and a max of 60 when i'am alone im just wonder how can i improve my game play without changing any setting. My specs are...

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm)x4 750k (4CPU's) 3.4ghz
    8gb RAM
    System: Windows 7 64bit
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 77OO Series (4GB dedicated)

be much appreciated if someone could give me advice thankyou.

Sword of Telara

That FPS sounds about right for that machine, you'd get slightly higher FPS with an Intel equivalent processor because the game prefers Intel over AMD but not a lot more.

Soulwalker

would upgrading my graphics card help improve my fps because im looking for an upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by omunious View Post
    would upgrading my graphics card help improve my fps because im looking for an upgrade?
    Honestly, probably not. I have the series below yours, and get about the same fps. Rift is highly CPU dependent.
    Soulraiser - 60 Cleric // Soulslayer - 60 Warrior // Soulshadow 60 Mage
    Faeblight NA
    http://www.dargaardknights.com
    Visit our recruiting thread HERE

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Asharoth View Post
    That FPS sounds about right for that machine, you'd get slightly higher FPS with an Intel equivalent processor because the game prefers Intel over AMD but not a lot more.
    would upgrading my graphics card improve my fps because im looking for an upgrade?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by rakasha681 View Post
    Honestly, probably not. I have the series below yours, and get about the same fps. Rift is highly CPU dependent.
    so upgrading my cpu would be wise choice then?

Dont think you can go much higher without a new motherboard. If you went the AMD FX route, can get 4.2ghz and overclock it, but your not going to see a ton more fps with that either. I hear some of the older i5's are the best rift CPU's because they handle single threading better or something like that.
    Faeblight NA

Sword of Telara

would upgrading my graphics card improve my fps because im looking for an upgrade?
    Not really I went from a 6770 to a 7770 and noticed only a few frames gain.

A better processor would increase your FPS due to the games reliance on CPU, but it's not a huge increase unless you get something top end and even then it's a long shot

My current system I use for Rift is:

i5-4670 (3.4GHz)
    16GB 1600mhx memory
    AMD Radeon 7770 (2GB)

and my FPS is roughly 35 to 45 in general spiking to about 70 and dipping below 30 in TB and raids on high settings with cloaks and shadows turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Asharoth View Post
    and my FPS is roughly 35 to 45 in general spiking to about 70 and dipping below 30 in TB and raids on high settings with cloaks and shadows turned off.
    +1 on the shadows and cloaks. I run on ultra, with those 2 turned off, and generally about the same fps, with an FX8350 and an HD6950.
    Faeblight NA

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by rakasha681 View Post
    +1 on the shadows and cloaks. I run on ultra, with those 2 turned off, and generally about the same fps, with an FX8350 and an HD6950.
    Yeah cloaks and shadows are a huge resource hog, it's amazing how much difference turning them off can make.

OP specs are not much different them mine, and some of the others have much better.
    I'm running
    e8500 core duo wolfdale 3.0ghz
    4gb ram
    radeon 6770

I almost never have FPS issues in Rift tho, not at home right now so I can't check. Does Rift support Triple buffering? If it does I would have automatically enabled vSync and Triple buffering. I also always lower shadows a tad, and set to Fullscreen (mostly cause I hate windowed games).

For Info on why vSync /w Triple buffering, should always be enabled.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794/2

So took a look, Rift does not have triple buffering so no vSync enabled, using High settings tho not Ultra, and fullscreen, so Not sure. I'm kinda OCD about drivers and such you may want to go though and make sure everything is on latest version.

+ Reply to Thread