+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Insane Latency Spikes

Default Insane Latency Spikes

I checked with several others I am not the only one, in the last conquest and once it was over I was experiencing insane latency spikes that would shoot up to 15-20k and then I would disconnect. Several others in my raid were having the same problems. On my end, I checked my internet speed as well as did a router reset but everything was normal so it has to be server side.

yeah it was pretty bad.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Soulwalker

Yeah this has been happening to me in Warfronts today.

4.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #4

I wasn't able to find widespread issues with latency tonight, but can you let us know if you are still experiencing extreme spikes? If so, how long do they last?

I would encourage anyone experiencing these issues to run some network tests the next time they experience a spike.

After running the network tests, create a help ticket and attach the results so a GM can look at it for you and help determine the cause.

One additional thing you can try to reduce connectivity issues in general is adjusting firewall and anti-virus settings.

Telaran

Had the same problem, half our raid kept disconnecting and having huge latency spikes. Got so bad that we could not finish it.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Conquest tonight around 8pm and 10pm central was having some severe latency spikes.

This wasn't in part due to internet congestion on my ISP or the routes to get to the servers, not bad routing or anything of the like. This was on the server side. Was observing some interesting ping spikes myself while in conquest at the very end of both matches. Went from 15ms up to 600ms to 950ms for a few seconds. Game would stutter, then burst in client ability/movement data, game would catch up, and then slow down again, this went on for a good three minutes time.

It appears to be occurring like this due to the throttling that Trion set on server to client transfer rates. As best that I can tell, 1mbps per client seems to be not enough for conquest (with all of the damage hellstorm flying everywhere).
    1. People zerg boss at eye after 5 min timer.
    2. Boss has a spike of population.
    3. Population around boss at Eye of regulos averages around 80 to 150 per faction.
    4. Worst case scenario: 150x3 = 450 people aoeing the hell out of one another at eye near the boss.
    Is what appears to be going on. Regardless, the data processing (network layer and hardware processing) between all of those players is absolutely immense. Amazed the server that conquest uses for its duration doesn't desync the entire cluster and crash n' burn it all.
    --BC

Today the latency seems to be better, though I haven't done a conquest yet. It isn't entirely fixed but the amount of latency has definitely decreased. >,; I hope you guys are able to get a handle on the situation before it starts affecting more people. Last night I was visited with nightmares of the few weeks Rift suffered many months ago when 50% of the population was suffering with insane latency.

I heard if you reroll a cleric you won't lag as much Gorgeous.

Pro tips YO

Rift Master

Disclaimer, on Starbucks wifi and a tablet... 289s latency in TB. Freedom was the 6-9s latency in Silverwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgeous View Post
    Today the latency seems to be better, though I haven't done a conquest yet. It isn't entirely fixed but the amount of latency has definitely decreased. >,; I hope you guys are able to get a handle on the situation before it starts affecting more people. Last night I was visited with nightmares of the few weeks Rift suffered many months ago when 50% of the population was suffering with insane latency.

Yea no, totally not fixed. Just tried doing another CQ and the spikes were so bag I was DCed 8 times. <3 friends for carrying me anyways. But really, the heck is going on?
    Last edited by Gorgeous; 02-23-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Shadowlander

Just tried to do a chronicle. Lag spike every time I pulled the first boss, screen froze, then disconnected. My FPS is fine, and this doesn't happen when I'm sitting in TB. I honestly don't even want to play anymore because this happens in all chronicles/raids/dungeons, even out in the world doing rifts. What's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by GM Fasti View Post
    I wasn't able to find widespread issues with latency tonight, but can you let us know if you are still experiencing extreme spikes? If so, how long do they last?

I would encourage anyone experiencing these issues to run some network tests the next time they experience a spike.

After running the network tests, create a help ticket and attach the results so a GM can look at it for you and help determine the cause.

One additional thing you can try to reduce connectivity issues in general is adjusting firewall and anti-virus settings.

Well, I have no problem with latency in any other games I've checked it on. ( League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Guild Wars 2, The Secret World etc) I'm having no issues with any game other than Rift, and since all the network speed tests I've done come back crystal clear of problems it has to be the rift server. I don't know if its localized around me or something that's just affecting a few of us but it's pretty nightmarish and my patron time is ticking away. Second night I've been unable to play, I do have a ticket in but am still waiting on a response. I know you guys are trying your best but I'm sure someone has to know what's actually causing the problem and if there are employees working to fix it.
    Last edited by Gorgeous; 02-23-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Default Since the start of the Budige event, massive latency issues unless played via vpn

it was like what 2-3weeks ago a sudden massive drop in latency performance in rift, Which I think was the budgie event starting as a time guideline, anyway

I have to play Rift through WTFast atm, cause the games unplayable without it

I've deleted the CFG file and run recover, I have forwarded the ports I have submitted GM tickets and done everything they said. The network path between Australia and Rift servers has something wrong with it, I know this cause as soon as I use a tunnelling engine the games PERFECT, as perfect as it was prior to 2-3weeks ago when this started

Also there is many other Aussies having the exact same problems. Our kill on Abom just happened to happen at a time when no one was lagging! sheesh the amount of DC's and lag spikes we had to fight through is insane.

but anyway I have done everything I can on my end. it's not firewalls. It's not the ports and it's not that cfg file.

so it possible to get this fixed or do we all have to play rift via other networks now

I posted this in a new thread but guess it should be here, can delete that other one if needed!

yes I have also done speed tests / other tests the GM told me about it really is ONLY rift
    FLUTTERBAT IS AWESOME http://tinyurl.com/m62aap9 THIS FANDOM IS CATCHY! < awesome pmv of 2013 http://tinyurl.com/ko5rb9k < another awesome Catch up on the fandom! http://tinyurl.com/bukqn5j <fanmade Trailer!
    Warrior~Gorem 60-7x, Coriolis #1 Oceanic Guild! World 6th Na 3rd VOLAN AND INRA! Oceanic Firsts everything! Also I'm a Christian/South Afrikan Zulu Warrior/Brony - deal with it

Telaran

I am from South Africa and it seems there is something really wrong with Rift's servers. I am still getting huge latency spikes during Raids and dungeons. I have ran tracert's, speed tests, ping tests etc and they are all perfectly fine. Fired up a few other MMO's I have been playing and there are no problems at all with them, only Rift. Please fix this as the game is not playable like this.

15.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #15

I'm letting the team know about the reports of latency issues so they can collect information. If any of you are experiencing high latency spikes, please submit a help ticket and include the results of network tests.

The more information we can collect, the better. I appreciate your help is pinpointing the cause of any issues.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast