+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Heat Issues

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default Heat Issues

    Okay so I've been playing Rift now for a while. Since the beginning I encountered random crashes that got worse the longer I played. Usually I'd think "Okay we might be having some driver problems here..." but well that wasn't exactly the case and those kind of crashes were pretty rare with my setup as they froze the entire computer.

    Searching through the various forums I saw ppl. complaining about heat issues. Most if not all of theese threats never came to any usefull conclussion ("dust off your fans! yaddayaddayadda..."). So I tried to figure out what was going on.

    First my current rig :
    CPU : Intel Core i5-2500k@3.30GHz
    GPU : GeForce GTX 560 TI (driver version 331.65)
    RAM : 16GB
    OS: Windows 7x64

    Also a Creative X-FI soundcard.

    I ran a couple of tests, firing up a few games :

    - DeusEx Human Revolution - All details set to the highest setting. After an hour of gaming the GPU temperature was around 56 C

    - Mechwarrior Online (Cryengine) - Everything as high as possible...around 58 C

    - Several other titles like ROME2, War Thunder, a couple of alpha versions of space simulation related games...none came over 60 C

    So pretty convinced that the GPU heat couldn't be a problem I started Rift. All Details set to High at first. Entering the character selection screen I already got a little surprise : 58 C without doing anything at all?!
    Ingame after mere five minutes the temperature of the GPU went berserk going through the 75 C mark shutting down the computer.

    Second try. This time all settings set to medium. Ingame temp after 5 minutes : 68 C
    ....WTF?!

    I started to manually set ALL fans available to 100% so the GPU alone should be able to somehow contain the heat. CPU temperatures weren't affected by the game, I still turned up all fanspeeds to the highest possible values...just in case. None the less even with more and more details shut off I never manage to actually get the temperature under 66 C. Alt tabbing out of the game nearly imediately sets the temp down some 10 or more degrees.

    So whatever I do (and usually I know pretty well what I can or can't do with that setup) the engine seems to have a serious problem with one or several of the components in my rig. It may be a graphics driver issue but I can't really see how to change that since I'm surely not going to set my drivers to a lower version just because of one buggy engine while NO OTHER game I own causes any heat issues whatsoever (and I do own quite many).

    Anybody with a simmilar setup having heat related issues like that? Or any ideas maybe? I really would like to play more than a couple of minutes without having to worry about complete freezes.

  2. #2
    Telaran Joeriz9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default

    It's an MMORPG. It's needs to load alot more stuff than with regular games.

    Anyhow, I don't see the problem with 66 degrees celsius? It's a quite normal temprature if you ask me.

  3. #3
    Ascendant forbiddenlake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,724

    Default

    66 is fine. Anything under 75 is perfectly fine. But your CPU won't even start to throttle itself til 98C.
    Source: Google (no, Tcase on the spec sheet is not the max CPU temp)

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    66 actually IS fine...at least as long I can keep it at that. The problem is, I know I can't for long.

    And as soon as it hits 75, it's a solid freeze. I figured that of course there's a LOT of stuff that has to be rendered, I know how those things work since Rift is by far not my first and not my only MMORPG (aaaaand no I'm not reffering to WOW). I'm not experiencing such high temperatures with Defiance for example. Or with STO or EVE or Planetside 2 or any other title.

    So I'm just curious if it's just me and MAYBE there IS something wrong with my graphics card or combination of components that causes this particular game engine to go haywire or if there is some other explanation or even workaround (that does not involve to dust off any of my cooling devices...trust me I've done that).

    Quote Originally Posted by forbiddenlake View Post
    66 is fine. Anything under 75 is perfectly fine. But your CPU won't even start to throttle itself til 98C.
    Source: Google (no, Tcase on the spec sheet is not the max CPU temp)
    Not talking about CPU here. GPU...that thing sitting on my graphics card doing all that shiny stuff ;) The CPU never goes over 45-48.
    Last edited by Barranoid; 11-07-2013 at 08:33 AM.

  5. #5
    Telaran Joeriz9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barranoid View Post
    66 actually IS fine...at least as long I can keep it at that. The problem is, I know I can't for long.

    And as soon as it hits 75, it's a solid freeze. I figured that of course there's a LOT of stuff that has to be rendered, I know how those things work since Rift is by far not my first and not my only MMORPG (aaaaand no I'm not reffering to WOW). I'm not experiencing such high temperatures with Defiance for example. Or with STO or EVE or Planetside 2 or any other title.

    So I'm just curious if it's just me and MAYBE there IS something wrong with my graphics card or combination of components that causes this particular game engine to go haywire or if there is some other explanation or even workaround (that does not involve to dust off any of my cooling devices...trust me I've done that).



    Not talking about CPU here. GPU...that thing sitting on my graphics card doing all that shiny stuff ;) The CPU never goes over 45-48.
    Even though, not much to worry, Even if the GPU reaches more then 80 degrees celcius it's doable. When it gets too much, the GPU will put itself out.

    But nontheless, You can always try upgrading to the newest driver.

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeriz9 View Post
    Even though, not much to worry, Even if the GPU reaches more then 80 degrees celcius it's doable. When it gets too much, the GPU will put itself out.

    But nontheless, You can always try upgrading to the newest driver.
    Yeah but that is what actually IS happening most of the time I try to play Rift. Temp goes up over 75 no matter what I do ingame or where I actually am. No matter what kind of graphic settings I choose. It goes to 75 over time...aaaaaand freeze. Drivers are the newest, so that shouldn't be a problem.

    As mentioned in my initial posting : NO other game I own pushes the temperature that high. And when I claim that I own quite many games then I mean it (171 via Steam alone not counting all that stuff on my shelves and so on...hell after 20 years doing that gaming stuff I stopped counting really), so my problem is : What causes a game engine old enough to be optimized to some extend, to litteraly burn it's way to a full heat shutdown.

  7. #7
    Champion of Telara RivenDusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barranoid View Post
    Yeah but that is what actually IS happening most of the time I try to play Rift. Temp goes up over 75 no matter what I do ingame or where I actually am. No matter what kind of graphic settings I choose. It goes to 75 over time...aaaaaand freeze. Drivers are the newest, so that shouldn't be a problem.

    As mentioned in my initial posting : NO other game I own pushes the temperature that high. And when I claim that I own quite many games then I mean it (171 via Steam alone not counting all that stuff on my shelves and so on...hell after 20 years doing that gaming stuff I stopped counting really), so my problem is : What causes a game engine old enough to be optimized to some extend, to litteraly burn it's way to a full heat shutdown.
    Try turning off all shadows, see what that does.

    Also, is your video cards' fan spinning up for RIFT? For some reason a lot of the more recent nVidia drivers have been kind of dumb about detecting load, and will operate as if on idle while you play certain games. Try going into your card settings and forcing it to use performance mode at all times rather than going into power-saving mode when it thinks it isn't under load.
    Last edited by RivenDusk; 11-07-2013 at 02:59 PM.

    Come have a look at Underlight Chamber (RP) Faeblight, my sprawling Wizard's Tower!

  8. #8
    Soulwalker Gwawl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I also had a similar issue, so I know what you mean. Playing Rift does put a heavy load onto the GPU. As I tried different methods my gaming rig was not playing Rift. I too had no other game with that much increase of heat. Then I decided to think about air flow. As the video card is long I figured the air flow was having trouble for the hot air to move. Plenty of air getting into the case. I already was using the Gemini II so I knew the CPU temperature was always good. So I knew the problem had to be in the lower case area. I also noticed I had both the game and card with AA turned on. I switched off the game AA and let the card do the work. Other settings on the card I put to use application setting. For the air flow I switched direction of a fan so air flow was now blowing the hot air out. Which was easy enough as I have a fan in the video card area. The fan in the front of the case has a good size fan to get air into the case. New drivers had been released and installed them. Now it runs Rift with many video settings on high settings. The GPU is now running in the mid-high 50's. Which is fine with me as the video card is overclocked. Now the PC handles playing Rift like there was never a heat issue.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts