+ Reply to Thread

Thread: computer won't start and all my fans turn on

Default computer won't start and all my fans turn on

help!!!!. that's how it started now everything powers up except my computer won't boot. my mother board is showing a red light. any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    any tips?
    The setup would help.
    And all the stuff you've tried, for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahielia View Post
    The setup would help.
    And all the stuff you've tried, for starters.
    I've unplugged everything. I have an Asus mother board. I thought it was overheated so I left everything unplugged and let it cool down and checked all my connections. I know very little about troubleshooting.

Try clearing CMOS, either by using a jumper or removing the battery for a length of time (should be specified in the motherboard manual).

Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    I have an Asus mother board.
    That is not helpful at all. Asus makes a ****load of motherboards.

Motherboard model (Z77 Sabertooth for instance)
    CPU model, speed and temperature (check in BIOS)
    GPU model and temperature
    PSU model, wattage and amperage
    HDD models, connection type
    RAM model

Is the red light flashing, or constant?
    Does the computer POST? (Get past the initial screen and start loading the OS)
    Are you getting any image at all on the monitor?
    If not; have you tried using another cable to your monitor, or using another monitor?
    Is everything seated properly in their slots?
    Have you made sure the extra power to the CPU is connected to the motherboard?
    Has this happened recently, or did it start the moment you got the computer?
    How old are the components?

If you search Google for "red light motherboard", you'll find plenty of sites and threads with other people who has had this problem, see if there's anything that you can try that fixed their problems.

Did you look at your manual to see what the "red light" even means?

Like Ahielia said, remove the CMOS battery overnight with the computer unplugged from the wall outlet, reinstall and try again. Also ensure the CMOS clear jumper is where it should be for normal operation.

Also, provide information; don't make us work to help you--especially anything that's changed up to the time it quit working.
    i5-2500K@4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 | 2xGigabyte GTX580@810 SLI | 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 | Wife's: 2xAsus GTX660Ti SLI

Take it to a local shop. We...none of us including all the "know it alls who went to school for this or own their own IT businesses"...are going to be able to help you nearly as efficiently as they will. Nothing wrong with not knowing this stuff, friend. Take it someone who does.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

+ Reply to Thread