+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP Cant Play Rift AT ALL.

Soulwalker

Default HELP Cant Play Rift AT ALL.

So i purchased a new computer and gave my brother my old one. ( i played rift on it when it came out till about 2 weeks before i gave it to him), he decided he wanted to play so he decided to re install the game because i had previously uninstalled it thinking he wouldn't play.

The first issue arose when i initially installed it, it installed fine however once i logged in and pressed up date the entire screen became oddly pix-elated in rectangle with jagged lines all around the mouse, it continued to update about two mins and then the monitor shut off while the computer stayed running. I fixed this by simply restarting my computer and trying again.

The second problem occurred after it had completely finished updating and i pressed play the same exact problem happened again. I do not know how this could happen, since i was playing rift on this exact computer less then a month ago.

If the graphics card matters at all is a Nvidia Geforce 7950gtx.
    Please help, need my bro for raids.

Soulwalker

Also running xp if that helps.

Most likely graphics card is fried. Or the bus on the motherboard where graphics card is connected to, due to the card being 7 years old it's either PCI-E or AGP. If it's AGP, there will only be one slot, if PCI-E, you can try to swap to an another x16 slot for the card to see if it eases out.

But most likely the GPU is fried.

Soulwalker

i do not believe that is the issue. Everything else works perfectly fine, even other games. But EVERY TIME i try to play rift it either goes Blue screen of death or my screen goes fuzzy and my computer shuts off.

Soulwalker

and its pci-e x 16
    Last edited by Bsmith1124; 08-19-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Soulwalker

If that cards no good then i guess im screwed, its a latop and theres no way the bios is going to recognize a new mobile graphics card after i remove the one thats soldered in..

Quote Originally Posted by Bsmith1124 View Post
    i do not believe that is the issue. Everything else works perfectly fine, even other games. But EVERY TIME i try to play rift it either goes Blue screen of death or my screen goes fuzzy and my computer shuts off.
    What's the BSOD error code? Also, machine shutting down out of the blue yells power supply issues, is it a full shutdown or do you just lose image from the monitor with fans still working inside the case?

One way or the other, this is faulty hardware, now it's time to see where it is.

Edit: laptop, errr, you could cause the same crash by running furmark. Laptops that old are most of the time not going to work reliably due to having to cram a lot of stuff inside a small case. It could be an overheating issue also.
    Last edited by Rounded; 08-19-2013 at 11:09 PM.

+ Reply to Thread