+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 40 fps on medium in whitefall steppes

Soulwalker

Default 40 fps on medium in whitefall steppes

Hello, I'm wondering if my FPS is low for my specs (kinda feel it is) and what I could do to boost my FPS, either upgrading the pc or so, my specs are as follows, I like having my computer up to date, but I feel there's something bottlenecking me, and I'm not that good with computers and can't say myself (guessing CPU)

Intel Core i7 960 3,20 GHz
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 590 dual core 3072 mb physx cuda
    16gb corsair ram
    Corsair SSD Force Series GT 240GB
    Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
    dunno what my motherboard is, but its old.

A few hundred more MHz on that i7 960 would help. With good cooling, it should take it easily enough.

The following have a notable impact on performance:
    Shadows (This is a big one)
    Ground Clutter Radius
    Ground Clutter Density
    Ambient Occlusion

Try disabling/turning some of those down, you might see a jump in frames.
    "You with your fancy cooldowns and "runic" power! You know where my power comes from!? THE BACK OF MY HAND, #&!$%!"

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Ray View Post
    A few hundred more MHz on that i7 960 would help. With good cooling, it should take it easily enough.

The following have a notable impact on performance:
    Shadows (This is a big one)
    Ground Clutter Radius
    Ground Clutter Density
    Ambient Occlusion

Try disabling/turning some of those down, you might see a jump in frames.
    thanks man, tried to OC the CPU to 4Ghz, went smoothly for an hour or so before my comp went down lol, have watercooling and atm its stabile at 38-45 degrees celsius, also I'd like my performance to be as high as possible at ultra, should i just try to oc my cpu to 3,5-3,7 and see?

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Su9x View Post
    thanks man, tried to OC the CPU to 4Ghz, went smoothly for an hour or so before my comp went down lol, have watercooling and atm its stabile at 38-45 degrees celsius, also I'd like my performance to be as high as possible at ultra, should i just try to oc my cpu to 3,5-3,7 and see?
    3.5 GHz with that chip should be more than enough to run Rift and keep you stable at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Su9x View Post
    Overclocking an i7 9XX series is kind of of a week-long project, so don't worry too much about that part right now. There are a lot of voltages and other settings that have to be fine tuned and tested for stability for 12-36 hours, and done gently so as not to damage any parts. That generation of i7 was pretty fickle, compared to the new ones where you just push the volts and multiplier.

My i7 930 is at 3.5GHz, and it runs Rift pretty well. Shadows are off though. They put a bigger drain on the game than you can imagine. If you set it to ultra and flip them to Low or Off, I bet you'll see another 10 FPS or more.
    "You with your fancy cooldowns and "runic" power! You know where my power comes from!? THE BACK OF MY HAND, #&!$%!"

Soulwalker

Hmm.I'll try to turn of shadows, but I'd expect it to run more stable than 40 fps on medium with 30 persons in a Warfront.

+ Reply to Thread