+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can any of you Techies help?

Soulwalker

Default Can any of you Techies help?

My wife and I both play rift and due to performance issues on her 5 year old Macbook she went and got a PC. No according to all the specs, test, and all the research that we have done the stock PC well exceeds the minimum requirements for playing the game. Before I put in what the specs on her PC is let me start by saying its not our internet. We have Time Warner 50 Mb and I play the game fine on ultra (granted I have a hardcore gaming rig) but the wife doesn't want to put the money into a big gaming rig when all she plays is Rift and League of Legends. Maybe its just a windows 8 thing and someone will know a fix (I use 7 and 8 confuses me).

Her PC is:

Next Gen AMD Quad Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor
    8 GB DDR3 System Memory
    1 TB Hard drive
    AMD Radeon HD 7560D graphics
    Windows 8

better specs on the rig can be found here:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...riesId=5330777

in case I left something out

Hopefully someone can help us out. She doesn't want to play the game on high graphics she is fine on medium to low as long as she can play the game without 4-7 second skill use lag and graphic freezes. Hell she would be fine even in low render if she could not be so lagged to hell.
    Before the trolls start with "Just get a decent but cheap Graphics card" She plans to but right now she doesn't want to spend more on the PC if she doesn't have to as we are closing on our first house and new graphics cards often require new power reqs and she rather not have to go buy a bunch of hardware to play the game atm.

The 7560D is an integrated chip in the CPU, it is not a proper video card. It may meet the requirements (does it really? I would not expect it to but if its saying it does, then I guess it does), but as always when it comes to these things, that just means the game should be able to run, not that it will run well.

There's not much anyone can do to help in this situation. It definitely won't play it on medium, and I'm surprised it's running at all. So unfortunately, when you're able, you need to get another card.
    Last edited by Akhet; 05-15-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    Akhet <Tabula Rasa> - Rogue
    World First Green Swirly Thing

Telaran

Default re

Other then new hardware the best thing she can do to make the game run better is Lower the screen resolution.

CPU is crap

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Sanayu View Post
    CPU is crap
    WOW that's helpful.... the CPU is more than enough to play rift way to be an ***

Quote Originally Posted by Graileon View Post
    WOW that's helpful.... the CPU is more than enough to play rift way to be an ***
    Well...sort of. "Crap" is a harsh way to put it, but the Trinity based APUs are...decent, at best. They have relatively mediocre-to-poor single thread performance, and Rift is heavily reliant on one primary thread with a few lesser threads. So the game rails one core, making the most important thing just how high that one core is clocked. 2.3 is slated to bring some additional multi-threading to Rift which may help situations like yours, where the one core is not so great but there are three others to be tapped.

The 7560-equivalent graphics built into the chip are similarly "so-so". Keep in mind that AMD did a numeric shift on their graphics branding with the 6000 series, making 75XX and 65XX in the same price-performance category as the 54XX and 44XX Radeons of years past. So the 7560 is pretty much bottom of the barrel for GPUs.

There likely isn't much you can do to make the game run better until Trion makes good on its multi-threading promises (if they do). Even so, we have no idea how much benefit the game will gain from this. If you're tech savvy enough, you could try to make sure that the memory is running at the maximum supported by the A8 5500. Due to the design of having the GPU on-chip, the CPU portion and GPU portion share memory bandwidth. This means that unlike Intel systems, which gain little average user benefit from maximizing memory bandwidth, the AMD APUs need it. It would not be at all surprising to find out that a preconstructed system was not optimized.
    "You with your fancy cooldowns and "runic" power! You know where my power comes from!? THE BACK OF MY HAND, #&!$%!"

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Ray View Post
    Well...sort of. "Crap" is a harsh way to put it, but the Trinity based APUs are...decent, at best. They have relatively mediocre-to-poor single thread performance, and Rift is heavily reliant on one primary thread with a few lesser threads. So the game rails one core, making the most important thing just how high that one core is clocked. 2.3 is slated to bring some additional multi-threading to Rift which may help situations like yours, where the one core is not so great but there are three others to be tapped.

The 7560-equivalent graphics built into the chip are similarly "so-so". Keep in mind that AMD did a numeric shift on their graphics branding with the 6000 series, making 75XX and 65XX in the same price-performance category as the 54XX and 44XX Radeons of years past. So the 7560 is pretty much bottom of the barrel for GPUs.

There likely isn't much you can do to make the game run better until Trion makes good on its multi-threading promises (if they do). Even so, we have no idea how much benefit the game will gain from this. If you're tech savvy enough, you could try to make sure that the memory is running at the maximum supported by the A8 5500. Due to the design of having the GPU on-chip, the CPU portion and GPU portion share memory bandwidth. This means that unlike Intel systems, which gain little average user benefit from maximizing memory bandwidth, the AMD APUs need it. It would not be at all surprising to find out that a preconstructed system was not optimized.
    Thank you Gamma I found an old GPU of mine that isn't gonna put her on ultra but she should be able to play on medium assuming using a non integrated card will help her play at least on low-medium and satisfy her although how people can play on low settings baffles me

+ Reply to Thread