+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Display driver crash while playing Rift

Soulwalker

Default Display driver crash while playing Rift

Hi guys. Newcomer to the game, my 2nd MMO. I've noticed specifically playing this game, I keep getting "AMD display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered" error message, over, and over, and over, and over, to the point the game is almost unplayable a few days after I got my copy. It wasn't this bad starting out, and I had experienced this error occasionally in Diablo 3, but nothing near as bad as in this game as of tonight when this started spiking. I'm talking like, multiple 10 seconds freezes back to back to back. Here are my specs-

Intel core i-5 2320 64 bit quad core processor
    8 gigs RAM
    AMD radeon HD 6770 (1 gig)
    Windows 7 64 bit

I'm noticing while running catalyst control center that this isn't an overheating problem; my card's temp never goes over 60c, but what I have noticed is that within seconds , the "activity" monitor spikes up to 99% , which seems to be causing the crash. What I am trying to find out, is what's causing the activity to be hogged up to full capacity, and how to stop it. Please, help.

Soulwalker

An update; I've noticed the "activity " spike that is happening is particularly bad when attempting to quest in Stonefield, while in Sanctum or Meridian, the activity is only at like 60% max, good framerates, and this error is occuring even with low settings on. I've tried a couple of other games and I've only seen the activity in catalyst control center around 45% or so, but I do plan on further testing to see if other games could cause this problem. I've noticed still no word from anyone; has anyone else had a similar issue? This freezing happens constantly in Stonefield and I cannot level my Warrior there due to not being able to move without a display driver crash every 5 to 20 seconds.

It's because Rift is single threaded and it throws a lot of data to that one thread. If you do the cfg file change for the CPU processing it will alternate between threads and may alleviate your problem. also, the game is heavily favored by Nvidia/Intel setups. You can also try a different gcard driver which may help the situation too.
    MOBO: EVGA P67 FTW, CPU: I5 2500K @4.8Ghz 24/7 (L051B104), RAM: Gskill PI 1600 CAS 6, SSD: Samsung 830 128gb, HDD: WD Caviar Black 750gb, PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA Sc HSF~ P/P 88CFM Yate Loons, G-CARD: EVGA GTX780, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B, MON: HP 2159m, HdSet: steelseries Siberia

Soulwalker

How would I go about doing a cfg file change?

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftwalker1999 View Post
    How would I go about doing a cfg file change?
    You go to your Rift folder and look for a file called Rift.cfg

It should open with Notepad when you click it. Simply scroll down to the part for [Client]

Look for this line MainThreadCPU = 3

Change the number 3 to a zero so it will now read MainThreadCPU = 0

Make sure you 'save' this change, there's a few more "tweaks" you can make in the .cfg file, but i wouldn't recommend changing values too much, could end up with Rift not booting or something

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    You go to your Rift folder and look for a file called Rift.cfg

It should open with Notepad when you click it. Simply scroll down to the part for [Client]

Look for this line MainThreadCPU = 3

Change the number 3 to a zero so it will now read MainThreadCPU = 0

Make sure you 'save' this change, there's a few more "tweaks" you can make in the .cfg file, but i wouldn't recommend changing values too much, could end up with Rift not booting or something
    "Windows cannot open file." Great. Such a shame, I was hoping to get into this game too. But if I can't fix this problem then there's little to no point.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiftwalker1999 View Post
    "Windows cannot open file."
    Hmm, did you try to right-click on the rift.cfg file and choose "open with" and then pick/browse to Notepad?

Another possibility is that Rift changed some paths for storing data a few patches back and the rift.cfg file in C:/PROGRAM FILES(X86)/Rift is not the one you can change

Look for the rift.cfg file here:

c:/users/your name/AppData/Roaming/Rift and same thing open or choose to open rift.cfg with Notepad
    Last edited by Slipmat; 05-13-2013 at 01:30 AM.

Soulwalker

Found the directory, changed the value to 0, saved change, completed one quest, and bam, same exact driver crash error. Oh well.

Not really sure where you can go from there unfortunately, could be throwing possible solutions at you all day long

Latest Catalysts are 13.5 Beta 2, can try them here

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/..._download.html

There's thing like are you running in fullscreen? windowed? any difference switching between them?

Direct X is all ok? .Net Framework is all ok? like i said, could be here all day trying to cross things off the list unfortunately

Actually believe it or not, but RAM can sometimes fck up the display driver.

Try swapping out your ram (if possible) or use only 1 stick in ddr3_1 slot and if it still happens then use the other stick.

It sounds like your problem is coming down to CPU speed. unfortunately, 3.0ghz and 3.3ghz turbo just isn't fast enough for this game and you don't have a overclocking option since its not a "k" CPU. your probably not going to be able to get this game to straighten up and fly right. Honestly, I don't know why Intel even bothers making locked CPU's, they are totally useless.
    MOBO: EVGA P67 FTW, CPU: I5 2500K @4.8Ghz 24/7 (L051B104), RAM: Gskill PI 1600 CAS 6, SSD: Samsung 830 128gb, HDD: WD Caviar Black 750gb, PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA Sc HSF~ P/P 88CFM Yate Loons, G-CARD: EVGA GTX780, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B, MON: HP 2159m, HdSet: steelseries Siberia

Check your system for this:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...look-here.html

By design, Rift cannot max out your GPU so that piece of malware might be the cause.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Vandarr View Post
    It sounds like your problem is coming down to CPU speed. unfortunately, 3.0ghz and 3.3ghz turbo just isn't fast enough for this game and you don't have a overclocking option since its not a "k" CPU. your probably not going to be able to get this game to straighten up and fly right. Honestly, I don't know why Intel even bothers making locked CPU's, they are totally useless.
    This pc has been pretty much less than stable for awhile now. I have a few hardware parts in mind to replace over time, what cpu speed should I be aiming for, for future reference? I've also noticed that while the crash still occurs , for some reason with Catalyst Control Center not running, it seems to happen a little less frequently. Inflection on the word "little."

Soulwalker

I submitted a ticket about a week ago on this issue, and the GM keeps saying in the email "your drivers are out of date. We're sorry you're frustrated with this issue, but your drivers are out of date. There was a driver update in April for Catalyst, your drivers are out of date," droning on and on with every reply to my insisting that my drivers have been updated.

This computer can run TERA on medium settings with a good framerate and it runs it pretty stable. I bet the GM can't explain why that is.

Ascendant

It has nothing to do with your CPU.

When your Graphics card has too much to do and slow windows thinks it's crashed and resets it. It's down to a 'feature' of windows vista and above. It's supposed to stop your whole computer crashing because of the GPU. I have always had the problem in GW2 and now for some reason WoW does it. You can sometimes fix it by lowering the settings.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368.aspx

The drivers excuse from a GM is complete crap. Unless you have a new card or it's a new game (and rift isn't) then new drivers will not help your issue. Driver updates are only realised when a new GPU comes out or it's a big game that needs optimisation for the card. A clean install might help with some issues as it removes all config files.
    Last edited by Caitie; 05-19-2013 at 12:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast