+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How come my Fps is so low?

Soulwalker

Default How come my Fps is so low?

Hello, I'm still fairly new to Rift... I come from wow so there's a few general things I have tried. I.E. Lowering graphics, Killing the sound and what not. I'm using a new, HP P2-1310. It's not fancy, but it runs wow on medium to High settings at roughly 25-35 FPs, I have everything completely low and nothing running in the background and Rift hits 12 FPS Tops. I have both cores going, Can anyone give me some suggestions? I don't want to have to quit this Awesome game because of fps issues.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ps-issues.html

That is one of the stickied threads in the Tech Support forum. Has quite a few suggestions that may help with your fps issue.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered View Post
    http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ps-issues.html

That is one of the stickied threads in the Tech Support forum. Has quite a few suggestions that may help with your fps issue.
    Thank you for the help

Bottom line is that wow and RIFT are completely different in terms of requirements. You'll find RIFT a lot more CPU demanding than wow for starters. If you post system specs ppl will happily recommend upgrades.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Amariah View Post
    Bottom line is that wow and RIFT are completely different in terms of requirements. You'll find RIFT a lot more CPU demanding than wow for starters. If you post system specs ppl will happily recommend upgrades.
    Wrong.

Why do people think Rift is CPU demanding? It utilizes one core and barely even tries to utilize it. The engine is awful, and my uncle's $15,000 computer(hardware technician for intel, has parts that aren't even released to the public), my $4,000 1 year old computer, and my brother's 2.5 year old computer get the same exact frames with max settings. (50-60 in 20m raids, 30 in CQ, dipping to 20 in very heavy CQ fights/world events, 50-70fps in tempest bay)

Quote Originally Posted by Carsomyr View Post
    Wrong.

Why do people think Rift is CPU demanding? It utilizes one core and barely even tries to utilize it. The engine is awful, and my uncle's $15,000 computer(hardware technician for intel, has parts that aren't even released to the public), my $4,000 1 year old computer, and my brother's 2.5 year old computer get the same exact frames with max settings. (50-60 in 20m raids, 30 in CQ, dipping to 20 in very heavy CQ fights/world events, 50-70fps in tempest bay)
    Your both correct. The game uses and was built with a CPU heavy engine, then they added the CPU heavy shroud plugin for the capes and physx....so all that stuff has to get computed, seperated and then piped to the gcard for its part of the scene calculations. That's why people who run 4.8-5.0ghz chips get better results and faster frame recovery. Plus both engines and plug ins use Nvidias Cuda code so the whole game is not very AMD friendly also.
    @carsomyr....that's wonderful that your uncle can get engineering samples from Intel and has a nice machine, but as you said yourself, it doesn't matter how expensive the rig is cause rift will only utilize one core/thread, but that doesnt mean on a multicore system you can't make rift utilize different cores with less load continuously. also, your internet connection seems to make a big difference in how smooth the game reacts also. Rift is just not the type of game that you can go in and push the slider to high, ultra etc and expect a certain result. it takes a lot of custom tweaking to get it to behave correctly, which can be done if you have the patience.
    MOBO: EVGA P67 FTW, CPU: I5 2500K @4.8Ghz 24/7 (L051B104), RAM: Gskill PI 1600 CAS 6, SSD: Samsung 830 128gb, HDD: WD Caviar Black 750gb, PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA Sc HSF~ P/P 88CFM Yate Loons, G-CARD: EVGA GTX780, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B, MON: HP 2159m, HdSet: steelseries Siberia

Plane Touched

This game is horribly optimized.

Using my PC: I2600K (4.8 ghz w/hyper threading, 16GB Ram, 7970 OC 1200, etc)

World of Warcraft 120 frames, frames limited to 120 never goes under (Old game, should be high)

GW2: 80-120 frames (most intense visually and geometrically)

DConline: 100-120 frames

Rift: 14-75 frames (I set the max to 60 for more consistent framerate, as inconstant framerates really bother me)

Problems with rift:
    1.) Never maxes out a single CPU thread (max: 60% single thread)
    2.) Seriously no multithreading (max 15% overall)
    3.) Even with Radeon pro to prevent the graphic card from underclocking (Max 30%)
    4.) Rift has memory leakage problems

This is why Rifts frames are so horrible and so inconsistent.
    Last edited by Josiaha; 02-26-2013 at 06:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread