+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: In-Game Overlays (Like Mumble & Teamspeak) Can Cause Crashes

1.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default In-Game Overlays (Like Mumble & Teamspeak) Can Cause Crashes

Hey all,

Our awesome engineers are always keeping an eye on the reports we receive whenever your game unexpectedly exits - thanks for sending them by the way, keep it up!

Recently, we've noticed one of the most reported causes is related to when an error occurs inside of programs that display an in-game overlay while playing - most notably Mumble & Teamspeak.

This error can then cause the RIFT game client itself to crash.

While we'll always do our best to improve the game, on occasion third-party programs & AddOns do play a role in instability. If you experience regular client crashes, we highly recommend disabling these overlay features to see if this resolves the problem.

As always - our support team is available should you require further assistance. You can reach them at https://support.trionworlds.com

Thank you!

Shield of Telara

Is there a working overlay for the latest team speak?

I've noticed this issue as well.

In my experiance, it occurs in applications running on windows 8 in fullscreen mode, when people attempt to change resolution.

This issue is not limited to RIFT, and will occur with any fullscreen app in windows 8 that attempts to change its display type. As a result, this instance can be considered a windows 8 issue, not a rift issue.

My work around has been to run rift in Fullscreen Windowed mode, which negates the issue.

The other option is to simply disable overlays.
    Former Philanthropy RIFT Senior officer, current Philanthropy FFXIV senior officer

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled View Post
    if you do not have the required hit you do not have enough of any other stat to meet the dps/heal/tank requirements of the content. Hit is a very effective way of ensuring that players meet the minimum requirements for defeating the content they are attempting.

I crash a few times per week. It's always when I teleport to a crowded spot during the loading screen, for example when respawning in Conquest after a full faction wipe or teleporting to the zone event boss fight in Ashora. Not sure if it's related to in-game overlays, because it only crashes when I teleport to a spot where there are more than 50 players or so and only sometimes (the repro rate is maybe 1 out of 50 teleports to a very crowded spot).

I'm an altoholic: Thirteen 60 clerics, eleven 60 rogues, eleven 60 warriors, five 60 mages, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Beringer View Post
    I crash a few times per week. It's always when I teleport to a crowded spot during the loading screen, for example when respawning in Conquest after a full faction wipe or teleporting to the zone event boss fight in Ashora. Not sure if it's related to in-game overlays, because it only crashes when I teleport to a spot where there are more than 50 players or so and only sometimes (the repro rate is maybe 1 out of 50 teleports to a very crowded spot).
    That is a combination of your hard drive, amount of memory and internet connection. Upgrade to an SSD and you can eliminate 99% of them.

Answered my question about random crashes when I turned on mumble overlay for the first time in rift yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    lol, you are the one I could see,
    ToTDQ:4/4 || FT: 4/4 || EE 5/5 || HM (3/4)

The teamspeak overlay has been crashing Rift since we started hosting our own TS3 server just after launch.

Any time we have someone new join and install it, I always make sure to tell them not to check the box for the overlay during install. It never plays nicely.

This is not limited to Rift either, as the TS3 overlay causes issues with several games (such as EVE Online).

Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post
    That is a combination of your hard drive, amount of memory and internet connection. Upgrade to an SSD and you can eliminate 99% of them.
    I have 16 GB RAM, a 240 GB SSD I run Rift from, and my Internet connection is a solid 50 Mbps. Not sure how to upgrade that. It should be sufficient to play a game on. Besides, most of what you said should only affect load times or disconnects. That has nothing to do with crashing to desktop.

I'm an altoholic: Thirteen 60 clerics, eleven 60 rogues, eleven 60 warriors, five 60 mages, etc...

Not sure if it's related but lately if I tab out of game my ptt won't work unless I reboot vent. This happens even when running as admin.

When you called me delusional I laughed so hard I almost fell off my unicorn!!

Does this error manifest itself via a Nvidia driver crash? I don't use Mumble or TS, but this basically the bane of my gaming as it usually requires a full reboot if my game doesn't lock up completely. And if it is a result of other program pop-ups like even the taskbar, then I'll need to go through stuff I commonly use and disable them if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadili View Post
    Not sure if it's related but lately if I tab out of game my ptt won't work unless I reboot vent. This happens even when running as admin.
    Does this happen even if you run Rift in Windowed mode?

Rift Chaser

Ya our TS overlay has crashed rift since rift launched . . . nothing new there. Would love it if this was ever fixed though.
    Even -Pax Illuminatus- Faeblight Shard
    Oddrit - Pax Illuminatus - Faeblight Shard

Quote Originally Posted by Beringer View Post
    Does this happen even if you run Rift in Windowed mode?
    Yes I have tried both fullscreen windows and windowed mode.

When you called me delusional I laughed so hard I almost fell off my unicorn!!

Soulwalker

Ever since i installed Raptr app iv had alot of crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Misanthropedia View Post
    Ever since i installed Raptr app iv had alot of crashes.
    Same here. I also run Rift from Steam so I don't know if both programs are causing some kind of conflict.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast