+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best graphics card for RIFT? Using 30" 2560x1600 monitor.

Default Best graphics card for RIFT? Using 30" 2560x1600 monitor.

So I have a 30" Dell 2560x1600 resolution. I'm using a GTX 480 SC and i7 980X @4.1 GHz. Getting decent framerates, usually around 15-40.

I'm looking to replace my existing video card, as it uses a watercooling setup that has consistently failed every year. The pump is no longer being sold so I'm stuck with trying to find an air cooled solution. Rather than buy a fan for it, I'd rather just upgrade to a new video card.

I'm wondering if there's an NVIDIA card that will make Rift significantly faster, considering my high resolution. (I won't consider SLI options, BTW) Mainly I want to run the game with Supersampling on, as it looks amazing. But still get framerates >20 (except on raids or massive zone events).

Shield of Telara

I have the same monitor. I run a 7970. I have a 2600k oc'd to 4.4. Frame rates in raids with dumbed down graphics are in the high teens to low 20s. If you want those settings with those frame rates, and not sli, then the nvidia 690 will be the choice.

680 (some oc model) or 7970, both with healthy amount of ram ...or the 690. If the 2 former, might wanna try with a hybrid cooling solution, if money becomes the issue.

As above, if raiding, u might wanna cut out Supersampling for FPS or just use Nvidia FXAA which is enabled for rift.
    Last edited by tinkertoy; 02-05-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Altira View Post
    So I have a 30" Dell 2560x1600 resolution. I'm using a GTX 480 SC and i7 980X @4.1 GHz. Getting decent framerates, usually around 15-40.

I'm looking to replace my existing video card, as it uses a watercooling setup that has consistently failed every year. The pump is no longer being sold so I'm stuck with trying to find an air cooled solution. Rather than buy a fan for it, I'd rather just upgrade to a new video card.

I'm wondering if there's an NVIDIA card that will make Rift significantly faster, considering my high resolution. (I won't consider SLI options, BTW) Mainly I want to run the game with Supersampling on, as it looks amazing. But still get framerates >20 (except on raids or massive zone events).
    Rift is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive. Slapping a monster GPU on something that gets 15-40 FPS now will net you 20-45 FPS after a $600 investment. Large scale gaming on big monitors requires an equally powerful CPU and data management system if you want smooth framerates.

Rift Chaser

Careful with the 30 inch screen. I have a 27 inch screen and have to really move my eyes around the screen to see chat/health bars/warnings etc. At a higher resolution, things will be even smaller and more spread out.

Telaran

Have 2 of the same monitor. I use SLI'd 3GB 580GTX's framerate varies for 13 or so durring a zone event with eleventy billion people around to 60+.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    Rift is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive. Slapping a monster GPU on something that gets 15-40 FPS now will net you 20-45 FPS after a $600 investment. Large scale gaming on big monitors requires an equally powerful CPU and data management system if you want smooth framerates.
    ^This^. For whatever stupid reason, this is how Trion developed the game. You can buy the best Gfx card on the planet and not see an improvement. Before you spend any money, give the Rift.exe process HIGH priority, and kill the rifterrorhandler.exe process. See if you get an improvement.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by MMoplaya1971 View Post
    Before you spend any money, give the Rift.exe process HIGH priority, and kill the rifterrorhandler.exe process. See if you get an improvement.
    Absolutely the best suggestion so far. I use a 660 ti and a 2600k at 5GHz and play at 25x16 also. I made this change last night and saw a dramatic increase in performance during CQ battles. Without the change I was usually 22-28fps but was easily in the 38-50 range after setting Rift.exe to High priority.

Default It's not your Rig... it's Rift

I play rift across three 40' Tv's at 3240 X 1920 resolution...

I have two - HD 6850 Cross-fired... cpu is i5-2500 at 4.1Ghz

FPS in dungeons 60+ (not sure how much cause i limit my fps)
    FPS in open world 50+
    FPS in raids 35+
    FPS while fighting Vorlan or invasion bosses in general like 5+ lol....

Anyways.. my system is good but certainly isn't awesome...

I have spent a great deal of time figuring out how to optimize rift graphics and the bottom line is that the Rift graphics engine is poorly designed.

Three easy steps to improve your performance.

1. FXAA injecto --> get it and use HDR, bloom and post sharpening.. Turn off bloom (full screen FX) in rift.

2. Trust your graphics card vendor and not Rift --> turn off Anti-aliasing and Ansiotropic filtering in rift configuration.. Setup a game profile for rift in your graphics driver (ie. CCC for AMD cards).

3. Turn off the super heavy gpu/cpu sucking features that add neglible effect like ... Multi-pass terrain, projected textures, detailed objects, clutter..

anyways... play with it as you want... but step 1 and 2 will quadruple your FPS if configured properly. Step 3 will just give you that extra 30%.....

PS. this is hardly the first GFX discussion concerning rift.. search the forums and use google.. answers await you...
    Xerise, Eliana, Eurydice, Rissa and December
    http://www.direman.com/everwas/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    Careful with the 30 inch screen. I have a 27 inch screen and have to really move my eyes around the screen to see chat/health bars/warnings etc. At a higher resolution, things will be even smaller and more spread out.
    I compensated for that from day one by increasing window and font sizes. I used to have a 24" 1920x1200 and this 30" is much better. It's perfect for MMO's and for watching movies/TV.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueUnseen View Post
    Absolutely the best suggestion so far. I use a 660 ti and a 2600k at 5GHz and play at 25x16 also. I made this change last night and saw a dramatic increase in performance during CQ battles. Without the change I was usually 22-28fps but was easily in the 38-50 range after setting Rift.exe to High priority.
    Number of players, objects, or lighting effects handled by the processor is not so much my concern. It's running AA at high enough levels that shadows become deep and rich, and add much more depth and realism to the game. This I'm pretty sure is handled by the GPU. My 480 SC is not cutting it at my resolution, for that purpose.

As for raiding or huge zone events like Volan, I'm not concerned with maintaining good framerates on ultra or with AA on. It's just the majority of the time, zoning into Tempest Bay.. doing a dungeon, an IA, etc. I want the game to look amazing.

I was considering the 660 TI, after initially looking at the 680. The 680 I might just barely have enough money for, but I would have to sacrifice some things to buy it. The 690 is nearly $1K which is waaaaay beyond what I can afford.

I did search Google and the forums, but considering my resolution and purposes I didn't find a satisfactory answer. I did see the thread concerning FPS optimization though, and how the game uses more of the CPU. http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-problems.html

Thanks all for the replies. I think I've settled on the 660 TI. It looks like I'll see a 5-10 FPS with that, but more importantly it will provide "future proofing" for newer games. (ArcheAge!)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Altira View Post
    Number of players, objects, or lighting effects handled by the processor is not so much my concern. It's running AA at high enough levels that shadows become deep and rich, and add much more depth and realism to the game. This I'm pretty sure is handled by the GPU. My 480 SC is not cutting it at my resolution, for that purpose.

As for raiding or huge zone events like Volan, I'm not concerned with maintaining good framerates on ultra or with AA on. It's just the majority of the time, zoning into Tempest Bay.. doing a dungeon, an IA, etc. I want the game to look amazing.

I was considering the 660 TI, after initially looking at the 680. The 680 I might just barely have enough money for, but I would have to sacrifice some things to buy it. The 690 is nearly $1K which is waaaaay beyond what I can afford.

I did search Google and the forums, but considering my resolution and purposes I didn't find a satisfactory answer. I did see the thread concerning FPS optimization though, and how the game uses more of the CPU. http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...-problems.html

Thanks all for the replies. I think I've settled on the 660 TI. It looks like I'll see a 5-10 FPS with that, but more importantly it will provide "future proofing" for newer games. (ArcheAge!)
    Just to say it again, I would definitely try the high priority change before purchase. It may be just what you are looking for. It takes about 5 seconds to change and best of all it's free!

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

I get mediocre framerates with a Radeon HD 7950, and noticably better with a GeForce 670, on a 2560x1600 display. CPU may matter more, but amusingly, I don't actually remember what CPU I'm using. Some recentish i7.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

An example of frame rates with a fairly grunty system:
    3gig Asus 7970, i5-3570 at stock, win 8 64 bit and 32gig ram

Static view into Stone Grove(Scarwood) over the lake (seems like lots of complex water effects, shadow, foliage movements, couple of patting mobs):

Everything ultra, 1920x1200 monitor
    Ingame Supersampling on: 52 fps
    In game AA off: 55fps

180 degree opposite view from that point (fairly plain landscape):
    Supersampling on: 57 fps
    AA off: 65fps

By contrast in Sanctum, facing the stairs up: SS on 42fps, AA off: 45fps. Elsewhere fps can drop as low as 30 tho. I dunno why that is, guess it is a game optimisation issue.

I tried using Radeon native AA-Supersampling via Catalyst with ingame SS off, but it does not seem to support Rift.
    Last edited by Friar Tuck; 02-05-2013 at 09:08 PM.
    My shiny carapace is cracked. I should have never left the sea. – Krugon.

Like others have said, please don't bottleneck your CPU with a modern GPU. An upgrade in your GPU you will have to see an upgrade in your CPU, as well. I would suggest pairing an nVidia card with an intel CPU. I currently run a core i7 2600k(relatively old, but still amazing for this game), but two AMD cards which bottleneck my system at times. I would rather have an nvidia 680 or 690 run with this chip, as should you. Remember, your resolution because of 30" will require a pretty amazing system, so you shouldn't skimp on the specs!
    "I love being a father, but there are some things I miss: Silence, the absence of noise, one single moment undisturbed by the sounds of a childrens’ TV program called Doc McStuffins. There is no quiet anymore, there is only Doc McStuffins.
    — Ron Swanson, 2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast