+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird Rift problem

Soulwalker

Default Weird Rift problem

Wasn't sure where to put this so here goes..

I just got back into rift, after awhile of not playing it, and it crashes everytime I get into the game. Weird thing is tho, I put it into windowed mode, then started it up, and clicked on
    Skype to be my main window, and it ran completely fine in the background, I pulled the skype all the way down and watched my character stand still and breath for about 2 minutes while talking to friends, then said "hey must be fine now" proceeded to click on the window, took one step then crashed.

I have system requirements, already checked that.
    Just updated all my drivers, a no go.
    Even did a disk defrag for the hell of it, still nothing.

I am running the game in the lowest graphics settings, even put on the low rendering thing and I still can't run it for long.

Also, this is my second time typing this whole thing, since the first time I had the character up the whole time in the background while typing, then decided to go try it and my computer crashed.

I understand this is most likely a computer problem, and not a Rift problem, but I'd still like help if I can get it.

Final note,,
    I am able to run League of Legends completely fine, World of Warcraft on ultra graphics settings while doing a 40 man raid, and plenty of other games without fail.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Couchtime View Post
    Wasn't sure where to put this so here goes..

I just got back into rift, after awhile of not playing it, and it crashes everytime I get into the game. Weird thing is tho, I put it into windowed mode, then started it up, and clicked on
    Skype to be my main window, and it ran completely fine in the background, I pulled the skype all the way down and watched my character stand still and breath for about 2 minutes while talking to friends, then said "hey must be fine now" proceeded to click on the window, took one step then crashed.

I have system requirements, already checked that.
    Just updated all my drivers, a no go.
    Even did a disk defrag for the hell of it, still nothing.

I am running the game in the lowest graphics settings, even put on the low rendering thing and I still can't run it for long.

Also, this is my second time typing this whole thing, since the first time I had the character up the whole time in the background while typing, then decided to go try it and my computer crashed.

I understand this is most likely a computer problem, and not a Rift problem, but I'd still like help if I can get it.

Final note,,
    I am able to run League of Legends completely fine, World of Warcraft on ultra graphics settings while doing a 40 man raid, and plenty of other games without fail.
    I am not a pro; but will attempt some basic stuff for this game here, since I have an old machine and run custom, and have teens in city and 20-25 in zones.

1) Turn off anything outside of game.
    2) For the guru's and Dev's - post your machine specs here.
    3) Go to Beginner's sections - Tech and read the current fixes that do work for many people with old and new machines.

4) Do 1 thing at a time in the recommendations in the Tech Beginner's threads and see how you do keeping online with game.

Example:
    Current Drivers sometimes isn't the best thing for your graphics and this game - many folks have had to back up to 296.10 or 310.XX with Nvidia.

Or - if OC'd , they have had to change their configuration of overclocking, or not overclock.

Your speed may vary.

Good Luck.

If you can remember the last time your computer fully crashed, you can check what caused it via the Event Viewer.

For WinXP:
    Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Or, open the MMC containing the Event Viewer snap-in.
    In the console tree, click Event Viewer.

For Windows Vista:
    Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.* If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

For Win7/8:
    Search for "Event" on start menu/Modern UI.

From here, you want to check Windows Logs -> System and find an Error or Critical event on last time when Windows crashed. If the problem is software-based, you will find crash logs from there. If System doiesn't contain any info, check Application at the same time stamp.

If there are no logs about the crash (when the whole computer crashes, not just Rift), then I'd wager it's an issue with your power management and/or other hardware.

Can you also please post system specs, if you have no idea what they are, http://www.piriform.com/speccy can help you with this.

Soulwalker

Ok, I got speccy and heres what it says:

Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz 47 C
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 (CPUSocket) 33 C
    Graphics
    Standard Monitor (1024x768@60Hz)
    2047MB GeForce GTX 560 Ti (MSI) 37 C
    Hard Drives
    932GB Seagate ST1000DM005 HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA) 31 C
    Optical Drives
    ASUS DRW-24B1ST c ATA Device
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

As for the Event viewer, I scrolled through it for a minute, wasn't sure exactly which ones where what I was supposed to be looking for but I found a red caution sign that said:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I'll go check out the beginners tech guide thing now.

Soulwalker

Changed the the power management mode to perform maximum performance, and I was walking around in game for a couple minutes without crash, will update if it continues to play for a while

Soulwalker

It crashed again

When you actually see that message, all error messages before that should be related to the crash.

See this image: http://i.imgur.com/d6HIw.jpg

The list has been filtered (right-hand side) to only show Warning, Critical, Error. Crash happened last night and the text you pasted is from the source "Kernel-Power". The message with the same time stamp as the kernel critical is telling me exactly what creashed it. Try to go through the errors just before and after the Kernel-power critical (10 seconds before, 1 minute later) and see if there is any info at all from the crash.

+ Reply to Thread