+ Reply to Thread

Thread: game keeps freezing when selecting character

Telaran

Default game keeps freezing when selecting character

i login fine, get to character screen then when i choose my toon and press play, it just freezes. I have to reopen the game 3-4 times just to get in. Also happens when i try to swap toons. Anyone know whats going on?

Wuhuu, someone with same prob as i have since Win8.

May i ask if you're also using Windows 8?

I never had this problem before
    - Windows 7
    - two HDD as RAID0 (2x160GB Samsung) for OS
    - Rift @SSD
    - P55 EVGA Mobo
    - CPU i7-875K (no OC, no UV)
    - 12 GB RAM (mixed)
    - X-Fi Soundcard

The setup above wasnt good - Rift was fine and anything else too but i got random bluescreens because of the X-Fi Driver not working well and also RAM<->-Motherboard compatibility.

Now with a "new" system (only things changed):

- Windows 8 @SSD + Rift same Drive (still 65% free space)
    - ASUS P67 (Rev. B3 w/o bug) Motherboard new BIOS (because old one did not work with RAM, CPU)
    - RAID0 (two HHD (2x200GB Seagate)).
    - RAM now 16GB (4x4GB Corsair)
    - CPU i7-3770K (no OC, no UV)

###

Game keeps (random) freezing at 94% (Entering World / no sound) or 40+% (Entering World/Random) after selecting Char in Char-Select.

If the game freeze at this point and i wait too long, Windows 8 is unable to kill Rift-Process (Access denied) and Windows 8 crashes after 1-2 minutes (e.g. Sound breaks if Music is in background) - only RESET helps.

If i count till 3 or 4s and press asap CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose "log out" Win8 ask to close all Apps running - in this case Win8 also kill Rift-Process (unlike the Task-Manager) and i can do a regular restart and try again to play rift. Most times it works fine... after Restart.

Apps (most times) running in background while i try to play Rift:

- VMWare (with one VM running (4GB RAM using))
    - Thunderbird
    - Intel Rapid Storage
    - Logitech Gaming Software (using G510 keyboard)
    - Realtek HD Audio Manager
    - Bluetooth-Manager (from Windows)

###

As far as i can tell ya, all drivers (GPU, Chipset, Sound, Logitech, +++) are up2date. CrystalDiskInfo reports No-Error for every HDD/SSD using.

No Bluescreens, no crash with other games (BF3, Sacred2, Diablo 3, ++) or progs (Adobe CS, VStudio, UDK, VMWare).

I still cant adress the issue... i think its Win8-related but not sure about it.

The support isnt able to help - still have a ticket open (new one).

###

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Xynphonie; 01-13-2013 at 05:14 AM.
    Krasnogorsk - Leader of Entity/Argent

This seems to be happening to me right around the Daily Quest reset time... approximately 4am server time.

I can login fine but if I am doing dailies and try to switch to another character the game freezes when i click <PLAY>. I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and close the game from task manager.

It does seem to go away about an hour or two later (for me).

Only thing I can think of is that perhaps their servers are doing some kind of background task that may be causing the issue at that time of the day.

Hmm... need to check if its time/server-related.

Thanks for info.
    Krasnogorsk - Leader of Entity/Argent

Shadowlander

Currently having this problem. Game runs fine up to the point i press play after selecting my toon then my screen goes black. Have restarted my machine and game 4-5 times now.
    Last edited by scyllua; 01-16-2013 at 04:23 AM.

Same issue here, game freezes right after character select. Already attempted to restart the patcher completely to no avail.

Hopefully this gets cleared up after the patch this morning, I was just logging in to check the lock outs not clearing like some had said.

I am having this issue switching to toons and shards.
    However If I let it sit for about 2 minutes it times out and says the Shard may be unavailable then goes back to charcter select..and then if I choose a toon it enters fine..

I am using windows 7 however, so I dont think this is Windows 8 based..

Quote Originally Posted by Luknar View Post
    I am having this issue switching to toons and shards.
    However If I let it sit for about 2 minutes it times out and says the Shard may be unavailable then goes back to charcter select..and then if I choose a toon it enters fine..

I am using windows 7 however, so I dont think this is Windows 8 based..
    Same exact thing happening to me as well. Faeblight server. It's got nothing to do with Windows I'd hazard to guess. Very annoying trying to switch alts for crafting.
    And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Shadowlander

Still having the same issue this morning. Trying to do crafting dailies and wanted to log to a toon that I use for my bank alt and bam, can't log in now. Game runs fine till i select the toon i want and game locks up. Apparently their game running smooth all the time is not a major concern with Trion.
    Last edited by scyllua; 01-23-2013 at 04:22 AM.

I am getting this happen in the last few days. I thought it was from trying to switch characters to fast but after doing a full system reset it happened at first log in.
    I have addons but nothing new since this has started.

My temp fix is alt + tab rift then I wait until it times out and gives the "server may be temporarily unavailable" then click ok and get back to character select screen where I can get in then.

This has been doing it to me last few days, but it is only during around the time dailes eset.

Ditto. This happens to me as well, but it is not just around daily reset time. It happens to me quite randomly; even during prime time.

My only guess is that sometimes an instant logout on one character isn't completely logging out that character, so instead of giving you the "You are currently logged in as Soandso" (or whatever that popup error is), it doesn't know what to do with you, so it just hangs instead.

Soulwalker

Do others still have this problem? It just started happening for me last week. Usually it crashed once and I can log in fine, but today I just can't connect at all. I prolly tried 10 times so far and when it doesn't crash, it loads the map and disconnects me at 94%. :\

Soulwalker

I'm a lot of connection issues myself. I can't log into the game server to save my life.

+ Reply to Thread