+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Fishing bot removal

  1. #1
    Telaran Mourngrym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    93

    Default Fishing bot removal

    Deny all trial accounts the ability to use tradeskills (fishing/survival included)

    Make fishing have certain level based limitations - IE must be 50+ to exceed 300 skill, etc.

    Seems like common sense.

  2. #2
    Ascendant Proclus_Lycaeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourngrym View Post
    Deny all trial accounts the ability to use tradeskills (fishing/survival included)

    Make fishing have certain level based limitations - IE must be 50+ to exceed 300 skill, etc.

    Seems like common sense.

    I disagree.

    How about just make it against the TOS, ban the botters?

    Why punish everyone else for people who violate the TOS (if in fact it is against the TOS ... since we can't get a Trion person to respond to the thread directly asking this question, even after multiple private messages BEGGING that it be addressed have been sent)?

    You can bet max'd skill in a trade skill at low level, why place an arbitrary limit on trade skills based on adventuring skills?
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

  3. #3
    Prophet of Telara CericX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Mourngrym, I'm not being rude but I suggest some more research on your part. The trial accounts are already heavily limited including a 5 platinum cap and the inability to initiate trades or post on the auction house. Additionally they are heavily limited in the zones that they are allowed to visit.
    All those bots you are seeing...are paying a sub.

  4. #4
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Riane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,612

    Default

    I implore you to read Rift Lite's limitations.

    https://support.trionworlds.com/app/...kw/rift%20lite

  5. #5
    Plane Walker FreddyThump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Even if the OP got it a litle wrong at least he cares. If only Trion did.

  6. #6
    Shield of Telara C00lit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    731

    Default

    It's already against the TOS, itís just not enforced

    You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

    A. use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, modifications (mods) or any other unauthorized third-party software designed to modify the Game experience;
    TOS

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CericX View Post
    Mourngrym, I'm not being rude but I suggest some more research on your part. The trial accounts are already heavily limited including a 5 platinum cap and the inability to initiate trades or post on the auction house. Additionally they are heavily limited in the zones that they are allowed to visit.
    All those bots you are seeing...are paying a sub.
    ^^ For emphasis. And that's why none of them are being banned. I've reported a lot of characters that are in tandem, teleporting around part of a zone, instantly killing mobs - for days at a time. Nada.

  8. #8
    Telaran Mourngrym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CericX View Post
    Mourngrym, I'm not being rude but I suggest some more research on your part. The trial accounts are already heavily limited including a 5 platinum cap and the inability to initiate trades or post on the auction house. Additionally they are heavily limited in the zones that they are allowed to visit.
    All those bots you are seeing...are paying a sub.
    Understanding the methodology of HOW fraud works migt make this clearer for you, trial accounts ARE limited in currency capacity and the inability to INITIATE trades, however a paying sub can initiate trades WITH them, for the purposes of collection and subsequent auctioning, vending and currency reselling etc paid controller accounts are used to actually make things move.

    Trial accounts are used explicitly for farming purposes, hence the abundance of them brazenly moving about - also and more ironically, they use the ascend a friend master account to linked trial accounts to summon them to the higher level zones for fishing.

    As trial accounts are already severely limited in several capacities disallowing fishing/survival + trade skills doesn't seem like it would be very impactful to the remainder of the user base.

    If Trion really wanted to root them out they would cut it at the registration level, before they ever gained access to the game - and it's easier there than anywhere else to stop bots.

  9. #9
    Prophet of Telara CericX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mourngrym View Post
    Understanding the methodology of HOW fraud works migt make this clearer for you, trial accounts ARE limited in currency capacity and the inability to INITIATE trades, however a paying sub can initiate trades WITH them, for the purposes of collection and subsequent auctioning, vending and currency reselling etc paid controller accounts are used to actually make things move.

    Trial accounts are used explicitly for farming purposes, hence the abundance of them brazenly moving about - also and more ironically, they use the ascend a friend master account to linked trial accounts to summon them to the higher level zones for fishing.

    As trial accounts are already severely limited in several capacities disallowing fishing/survival + trade skills doesn't seem like it would be very impactful to the remainder of the user base.

    If Trion really wanted to root them out they would cut it at the registration level, before they ever gained access to the game - and it's easier there than anywhere else to stop bots.
    I agree that understanding methodology is important. The lite accounts are supposed to be capped at Crafting Novice level skill cap. (75)

    https://support.trionworlds.com/app/...kw/rift%20lite

    When a bot makes 1k+ plat a day, resold for $15, paying a sub for that account and purchasing a storm legion copy is a minimal expense and one that will be taken to be able to farm in the level 50-60 zones, as the lesser fish are worthless.

    The suggested change is just as pointless as modifying log files to remove the "Reel it in" flag. Trion is entirely capable of identifying a bot. Every player in the game is capable of doing so simply by using the Leader boards. The will to act on that knowledge is what is missing. To be fair, systematic changes, even ban waves are only irritants to professional botters. In fact, you are increasing the profit margin by eliminating the casual users botting.
    There is only one real way to stop botting, that is for the players that take advantage of it to QUIT taking advantage of it. Quit buying platinum. Quit buying fish from the AH. Quit buying artifacts from the AH. Don't know about you, but I don't have that kind of faith.
    The alternative is to simply allow botting to all players, make it easily accessible. Plat as a currency becomes useless. Figure out something to replace it that is only available to active players. Of course, then its just moments before that currency too is diluted by a new bot.

    tldr; It's not fixable by changing software.

  10. #10
    Shadowlander Nautius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    36

    Default

    You know, it's funny... in SWG, botting was an integral part of the game. It was intentionally designed to drive the economy.

    Why is everyone so up in arms about it? Is it taking away from your direct enjoyment of the game? If so, what examples are there?

    If there have been people botting for a while, I have never noticed it. Not once. It has not changed the way I use the auction house or crafting or anything else.

    So again... why is everyone so upset over it?

  11. #11
    RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,344

    Default

    Not sure how Tech Support are going to help solve the fish botting issue

    My two cents, as i'm here:

    • All fish caught is now BoP
    • All platinum have been removed from 'treasure chests'
    • Artifacts fished up will also be BoP or just removed from fishing
    • No Rep fish turn ins, or if any, keep to Rift 1.0 Factions as it was the "need for speed" gimme gimme glorified now people who brought attention to "acceptable" fish botting
    As fishing is just supposed to be a "fun" aspect of the game and a little side distraction i don't see any reason why it can and is a source of income for farmers and botters

  12. #12
    Prophet of Telara Kadeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,145

    Default

    I'd say Trion cares, see today's patch notes, they are getting them out of the game.
    Life is what you make it so make it good, even when it isn't.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple Vandarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    145

    Default

    I noticed a lot of them are gone the last 2 days, so there def working on it. I was told by a GM that botting is a direct violation of there code of conduct and they are working on it. As far as stopping them goes, I think just putting respawning creatures in those areas would make it irritating enough for them to just leave. rinse repeat till they have no place to go. I drag creatures over and kill the bots all the time. shimmersand is really fun cause they put them in the trees and I have to use the water elemental things to get them....kinda a challenge! lol
    MOBO: EVGA P67 FTW, CPU: I5 2500K @4.8Ghz 24/7 (L051B104), RAM: Gskill PI 1600 CAS 6, SSD: Samsung 830 128gb, HDD: WD Caviar Black 750gb, PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA Sc HSF~ P/P 88CFM Yate Loons, G-CARD: EVGA GTX780, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B, MON: HP 2159m, HdSet: steelseries Siberia

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kadeth View Post
    I'd say Trion cares, see today's patch notes, they are getting them out of the game.
    I just started playing Rift recently (late November I think) and it's kinda funny, but I'd never seen a fishing bot until yesterday, after the patch. I currently have a ticket open (that's the only way I could see to report them, a GM "report a player" ticket) with the names of 19 characters in it, all who seem to be doing active fishing botting.

    (To make it clear, I'm not saying it is a problem with the patch, just that it is ironic that I've only seen them as of yesterday and am now seeing them pretty regularly).

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandarr View Post
    I noticed a lot of them are gone the last 2 days, so there def working on it. I was told by a GM that botting is a direct violation of there code of conduct and they are working on it. As far as stopping them goes, I think just putting respawning creatures in those areas would make it irritating enough for them to just leave. rinse repeat till they have no place to go. I drag creatures over and kill the bots all the time. shimmersand is really fun cause they put them in the trees and I have to use the water elemental things to get them....kinda a challenge! lol

    Since I've been seeing a lot around Fortune's Shore and other Shimmersand water areas, and they are all under lvl 10, I was thinking it might be nice to have a patrolling NPC/monster that aggros low level players, but may leave those of "natural" level for the zone alone. I don't know. Bots can be annoying but I definitely don't want fishing nerfed for legitimate players. Another MMO I used to play initially had fun fishing, but with all the nerfs and changes due to bots, it became unfun to the point where I stopped fishing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts