+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dryell

Thread: Computer Crashes, forced to do hard shut down

Soulwalker

Default Computer Crashes, forced to do hard shut down

I recently decided to start playing rift again and am beginning to regret my decision. I downloaded the client and logged in, twice now i was just running around the home city when my entire computer froze up to the point i had to do a hard shut down. Im running 2 AI graphics cards in crossfire mode, though when i played back before storm legion came out i never had a single problem with it. Did a recent patch or something screw something up or is there another problem happening?

I don't think games can make your PC shut down...sounds more like a hardware problem and overheating.

Soulwalker

Its not making my computer shut down, its making my computer Crash to the point that all i can do is a hard shut down.

Does your screen get garbled/patterns of color with audio still functioning in the background normally? If yes, then it's drivers or graphics card(s), downgrade drivers to previous version if you have updated recently. If that doesn't help, then run Furmark to see if the cards are not stable anymore.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post
    Does your screen get garbled/patterns of color with audio still functioning in the background normally? If yes, then it's drivers or graphics card(s), downgrade drivers to previous version if you have updated recently. If that doesn't help, then run Furmark to see if the cards are not stable anymore.
    No the screen just freezes, and the cards are fine as this problem ONLY and i stress only happens when im playing rift. WoW, PoE, Prototype 2, etc, any other game i play, runs perfectly OK, with Rift though the game randomly crashes and i am forced to hard shut down.

Sounds like something may be corrupted in the game.

I'd try a clean uninstall and reinstall.

EDIT: Is there anything that you're doing specifically when it crashes? A fight, IA, in town, spell effects?
    Last edited by Valliac; 12-21-2012 at 07:22 PM.
    Valliac - Eth - Rogue
    Brongor - Dwarf - Warrior
    Sevisa - Kelari - Cleric

Telaran

Have you tried to the recover option? Helped me sometimes when the game was acting up.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Valliac View Post
    Sounds like something may be corrupted in the game.

I'd try a clean uninstall and reinstall.

EDIT: Is there anything that you're doing specifically when it crashes? A fight, IA, in town, spell effects?
    game is a fresh install, nothing is corrupted. Not doing anything specific, i logged in, walk 2 steps if im lucky, then the crash. Disableing the Crossfire on my Video cards seems to have fixed it for now, which leads me to believe this is a problem with the latest patch and trion needs to fix it as i used crossfire mode without problems before.

Sounding like the driver crash issues I get from time to time and have tried numerous drivers in the past to no success. I recently did a registry tweak as a suggestion to curb when my PC freaks out over data rendering, but it hasn't been long enough for me to fairly gauge if it's actually done any good yet since I can't reliably reproduce the crash. Sometimes I go days, sometimes it's a couple hours in between. And like you, I've not had issue with other games, just Rift.

When it does happen, I always have to restart. While rare, I have had times where it's BSoD'd me or forced a literal physical powering down to reboot because I can't even pull up task manager.
    Last edited by arus2001; 12-26-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Sounding like the driver crash issues I get from time to time and have tried numerous drivers in the past to no success. I recently did a registry tweak as a suggestion to curb when my PC freaks out over data rendering, but it hasn't been long enough for me to fairly gauge if it's actually done any good yet since I can't reliably reproduce the crash. Sometimes I go days, sometimes it's a couple hours in between. And like you, I've not had issue with other games, just Rift.

When it does happen, I always have to restart. While rare, I have had times where it's BSoD'd me or forced a literal physical powering down to reboot because I can't even pull up task manager.
    1. Never screw around with the registry unless you're 100% sure you know what you're doing. Bad experiences, there.

2. If you're convinced it's a registry issue, try downloading CCleaner. Comes with a registry fixer and could clean out any excess crap that could be causing you issues. There's possible better programs out there that are PRIMARILY registry fixers, but I like CCleaner, myself.
    Valliac - Eth - Rogue
    Brongor - Dwarf - Warrior
    Sevisa - Kelari - Cleric

Backups were made and I'm generally confident enough to remember and know how to revert unwanted tweaks. I didn't post it because I still want to be sure it actually winds up being a solution.

But the general explanation of the adjustment was that if your video card goes like 2 seconds without being able to process whatever data, it can lead to the driver crash, which as others have pointed out alongside myself, can be further fatal in requiring a reboot or forcing one. In this case, the tweak just ups this window to, I believe, 8 seconds. I'd have to double check the hex value. But really, it was just creating one string, no edits to anything existing.

Otherwise, I already have CCleaner and other programs I run occasionally to help keep my system clean and optimized. It may be 3-4 years old now, but I'd still say it runs newer stuff fairly well. Issues I have with Rift largely seem to be due to the game itself.

+ Reply to Thread