Thread: Low FPS some what High-end Comp

Default Low FPS some what High-end Comp

Computer Specs:
    MB: Asus P8P67 EVO
    CPU: Intel I-7 2600-k Sandy bridge (2nd gren) @3.40GHZ stock
    Ram: 16gig DRR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    GPU: Evga GTX 550ti 1GB 192-bit GDRR5
    SSD: Samsung 830 series 128 GB

Last night during raid along with all of the lag on the server side i was getting 20-40 fps on medium settings based on rifts default settings nothing changed and after rift with meridian being over populated also. Now today when i get on in meridian I'm getting 7-10 on Min and then trying it on low render and not making a difference.
    Pastebin of my Rift.cfg file

computer is running at 20-30% CPU with rift and firefox open ram is at 33% not moving at all.
    What could of changed to make me have a such drop in FPS from one time to another?

Server info: Wolfsbane (High pop)
    Any advice welcome!
    Last edited by Gornutz exion; 07-02-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Soulwalker

im also having trouble. 2500k@ 4.5ghz and 6850 @ 900mhz

cpu and gpu usage lies around 30% and my fps is approx 25-50..

messed up game...

Soulwalker

Same here.

I have i7 920, 560 ti, 6Go and my fps can't go beyond 15 even in low or min...

Are you running at full screen or windowed? Ive noticed that if I run rift in full screen then i usually see an increase of fps.

While it's a helpful tip, I don't think its particularly relevant. Something has changed that has caused computers that previously got good framerates to dip closer to the "unplayable" realm. I'm in the same boat as these folks - used to shred this game even with older hardware (PhenomII x4 965 black, Radeon 5850, 6GB 1333 ram) but like two patches ago, FPS has dropped badly and some places it's downright unplayable. I'm not expecting to get the frame rates that the sandy bridge guys above me with newer GPUS are getting, but 2-3 FPS on King and Prince in low settings is absolutely ridiculous. 10 in Meridian on low? Really? Luckily I get back up to 30 in open world where there is less to render, but something is definitely borked.

Even though I can run other games like Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 on High\Ultra with tweaks and even play FFXIV comfortably (which is arguably the most horribly optimized game EVER), I decided to tear the system down, clean it out and repaste everything. Grasping at straws, you know? No change in Rift.

Checking on the task manager shows my resources (CPU,RAM, etc) barely being used - ~30% across the board with the game in full 1920x1080 res. So, how is this explained?

I have to admit I'm in a similar boat. Pre-1.9, my PC handled Rift well on custom settings, toward the higher range. i7 930 (OC'd), 5850 2GB, 6 GB RAM, a Samsung 830 SSD. Since the second patch after 1.9, my framerates in cities have hit the floor, flickering into the single digits on a regular basis. I did not see this behavior until the patch that increased the visible player count in Conquest. Ever since then, the framerate has been extremely poor in populated areas and the UI has been less responsive (bringing up UI windows now hangs for a second or two before opening).

My older Core2Duo system used to play the game acceptably in most areas, although cities were rough. Now, it's unplayable anywhere near a city/populated area on the C2D system.

This is actually a very fresh, updated install of Windows and the appropriate drivers, as well. I installed it on June 1st, so I had a fair amount of playtime with 1.8 on the new SSD and OS install before 1.9 hit.
    "You with your fancy cooldowns and "runic" power! You know where my power comes from!? THE BACK OF MY HAND, #&!$%!"

I'll post in yet another thread where someone will likely (and inevitably) either call me a liar about my computer specs, or claim that there's some other voodoo magic at play here.

Current Specs:

I7 2600K @ 4.9Ghz (Stable)
    ASUS P8P67 PRO (Rev 2.1)
    16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3
    Corsair AX 1200 PSU
    Killer 2100 NIC (PCI-X)
    ATI Radeon 7970 3GB 1Ghz
    2x256GB Crucial M4 SSD's (Striped - raid 0)

Internet: 100 Fibre. True ethernet to unit fibre. 100 down, 85ish up.

Displays: 2 x 27" Apple Cinema Displays (2560x1440). 42" LED TV mounted behind (mostly use it for watching movies and actually watching TV, but have tested it with rift since the resolution is the standard 1920x1080).

------------------ Meridian Benchmarks ----------------------------------------
    Tested on Deepwood.

FPS in Meridian after a conquest around 6PM server:

2560x1440 Resolution (Uncommon gaming resolution)
    Ultra: 16FPS
    High: 18FPS
    Med: 19FPS
    Low: 19-20FPS

CPU Usage: 22%
    GPU Utilization: 33%

1920x1080 Resolution (Most common these days)
    Ultra: 19FPS
    High: 20FPS
    Med: 20FPS
    Low: 19FPS (?? thought that one was weird)

CPU Utilization: 23%
    GPU Utilization: 30%

FPS in Meridian when it's dead (2am ish server)

2560x1440 Resolution (Uncommon gaming resolution)
    Ultra: 22FPS
    High: 23FPS
    Med: 23FPS
    Low: 25FPS

CPU Usage: 25%
    GPU Utilization: 31%

1920x1080 Resolution (Most common these days)
    Ultra: 23FPS
    High: 23FPS
    Med: 24FPS
    Low: 26FPS (?? thought that one was weird)

CPU Usage: 25%
    GPU Utilization: 32%

------------------ Ember Isle Invasion Benchmarks ----------------------------------------

It's safe to say that this can vary greatly based on so many different factors based on how many people are attacking the boss, how many people are visible, etc. For this particular example I am using the boss Scerrion.

2560x1440
    High detail: 14FPS

1920x1080 (Same exact event)
    High detail: 14FPS

Though in a lot of cases 14FPS is playable - in most cases with peak time EI invasions, the ability lag is horrendous. Sometimes it affects me, other times it doesn't. One thing that is consistent though is the low framrate during invasion boss fights. My latency never exceeds 109ms (and that's worst case, usually it's between 40 and 60).

------------------Infernal Dawn Benchmarks ----------------------------------------

For this particular one, I took note of frame rates on Conclave. This was third phase.

2560x1440
    High detail: 22FPS

1920x1080
    High detail: 24FPS

What I've done/tweaked:

- Fresh install of Windows.. Twice.
    - Fresh install of Rift.
    - Tried Dual 7970's in Crossfire. Crossfire is useless for Rift - don't waste your money if you have ATI/AMD.
    - Switched to GTX 680's (SLI). SLI is horrible for Rift, at least with the 680's. There was a very noticeable seperation line and you could detect a slight difference in the rendering between the parts. In fairness this is likely an SLI profile issue and may have been corrected. I benchmarked the 680's the week they launched and it's been some time since then.
    - My 7970 performed better than a single GTX 680 @ 2560x1440. However, at 1920x1080 the GTX 680 was a slight (2FPS) improvement.
    - Overclocked my CPU to a ******ed 4.9Ghz. It's hard to (reasonably) get more usable power than that.
    - All rift.cfg tweaks make zero difference.

For comparison sakes, let's take the brand new launched game TERA (in a Populated city).

2560x1440 at graphics level 6, or basically all bars dragged as far as they can go.
    67FPS

GPU Utilization: 93%
    CPU Utilization: 41%

That's the only comparison I want to make since most people will argue apples vs oranges etc. Tera is an extremely beautiful game built on an engine that actually has a fairly hard time with an MMO's net code (Unreal 3). You notice it certain times that mobs and players can sometimes take a few seconds to show up - however it never affects your framerate.

I do understand that Rift is built on a relatively old (but still actively developed) DX 9 engine. (Gamebryo for those who care). I just wish that Trion would acknowledge that they're aware and actively working on making the game perform better. The minor performance improvements they have done has dealt with UI rendering issues that caused a drop in framerate.

I doubt I'll ever leave Rift, but I will say this: Low frame rates during beautifully encounter zone events and raid encounters really take away from the immersion of the experience. Playing a game like Tera, SWTOR, or even WoW that do pull off nice graphics (though SWTOR and WoW are not as realistic as Tera or Rift) at high framerates do a much better job of taking your mind off the fact that you're staring at a screen. During the 3-4% of a new boss downing and your heart starts beating faster and harder the last thing you want is a huge drop in framerate.

TL;DR: Most people know that Rift produces low frame rates (comparatively) on high end equipment. It does a pretty decent job on the mid level equipment as you'll get mid level results and that's to be expected. There really should just be a sticky in this forum that is along the lines of: Stop asking about framerate issues, we all have the same problem.

Feel free to argue and dispute me if you want. I'll post pictures of my computer, receipts, setup. I don't care. I'll take screenshots, whatever. I just ask that you'll also post pictures and screenshots, proof that you own the setup you own that is magically achieving 60FPS in Meridian on ultra. Also, if you're going to argue please read the entire post.

<3 u all.

I don't know how this will help or if it will, but I have a i5 2550k oc'd to 4.6 sitting on an asus p8 z68 mobo with 8g of ripjaw @1600mgz tied to my 42" Phillips tv with an asus gtx 670 dc2 top g/card @1920-1080 res and have a steady avg of 50 fps everywhere , sometimes dropping to mid 40s in raid or big events. I have all in game settings at max. I used the low fps sticky at the top of the forum page an followed all suggestions except putting the -dx9 at the end of the .exe file. For what it's worth I just put the 670 in, I had an ati 6750 in when I used the low fps sticky and could only get 25 fps on medium settings. The 670 install was just 14 days ago so it wasn't installed after all the conquest hotfixes. I don't know how, if or why this info will help but maybe someone with real knowledge can hopefully see some sort of pattern an figure out a common discrepancy for others. (truthfully its my wife's rig I game on an asus g75 laptop) I hope someone can see a pattern in this an figure out a solution, if not I'm sorry I wasted your time

Ps I know the two cards are like night an day but felt it revelant since folks with better seem to get worse.
    I also made other enhancements to certain aspects of the game for various reasons.

Zinbik, Cleric Lead

My solution to fix my frame-rates was to Overclock my CPU let it run for a few minutes then restart it and bring it back normal which was default for myself and i noticed my frame-rates going back up to what it was which was about 30ish in meridian on high to maxed settings which where mix matched

Quote Originally Posted by Gornutz exion View Post
    Last night during raid along with all of the lag on the server side i was getting 20-40 fps on medium settings based on rifts default settings nothing changed and after rift with meridian being over populated also. Now today when i get on in meridian I'm getting 7-10 on Min and then trying it on low render and not making a difference.

computer is running at 20-30% CPU with rift and firefox open ram is at 33% not moving at all.
    What could of changed to make me have a such drop in FPS from one time to another?

Any advice welcome!
    Can highly recommend setting the "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance", if it isn't already - especially with the GTX 550ti.

Telaran

Still no answer from Trion if they will fix the bad FPS? THEY DO NOT CARE.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Gornutz exion View Post
    Computer Specs:
    MB: Asus P8P67 EVO
    CPU: Intel I-7 2600-k Sandy bridge (2nd gren) @3.40GHZ stock
    Ram: 16gig DRR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    GPU: Evga GTX 550ti 1GB 192-bit GDRR5
    SSD: Samsung 830 series 128 GB

Pastebin of my Rift.cfg file

Any advice welcome!
    I can understand that you are confused and wondering. How the
    F*** the FPS can be so crappy with your system.
    It's not Your system fault.Your computer is "Top Notch"
    It's the game engine that rift is using. And It's just poorly coded.

If you read the forum. Players have been trying to get trion
    to admit/fix this problem more than one year back.(even in the
    beta) But they have evidently got so scared of their
    customers.(or something like that) That they have their heads
    buried in the sand.
    And only muebles some crappy lame excuses
    here and there on the forum to the fps problem.

This whole acting like "we care about our customers" thing
    from trion. Is really sad to see.
    How about you trion!,really really do something proper to fix
    it.Instead of just letting us wonder what the F is taking so
    long.

/Peace Out

Telaran

Let me start with a few facts.
    Computers can only process as fast as the slowest part will allow.
    Most games are still using a primary thread. (so anything more than a dual core is not used)
    Most games are not optimized for good memory management. (only good enough for the majority of users to play at low frame rates)
    Video drivers can make a huge difference in performance. (also video setting however if you use defaults you should be fine)

Now let me make a few statements on what i believe to help your game play better.
    1.Close all web browsers (they can hog alot of memory time not necessarily space).
    2.Disable visual themes and desktop composition (this can be done easily by going to the properties of the game shortcut then to compatibility tab and checking the corresponding boxes and then hitting ok).
    3.Close any applications you are not in need of using while playing the game (in other words in the taskbar down by your clock there should only be a couple of icons ie sound time and network).
    4.Make sure your pc is clean and running cool (overheating can cause crashes and slowing of applications).

If doing this does not give you the game play experience you are looking for then i would recommend investing some time into overclocking your computer.
    Memory speed and cpu cache speed for rift are a big deal especially if you have a fast cpu ie over 4.0ghz. Now if your using a Sandy-bridge or equivalent you wont be able to change your cpu cache speed much with out giving stability issues. So then the only thing left is to overclock or buy some speedy memory. In most cases cheap memory will run the same speed as expensive memory (however it may require more voltage and some additional cooling to achieve) unless you are looking for tight timings then you will have to find some low latency memory. Keep in mind you only use 2GB of memory for most games so the most you should ever need is 8gigs at least for now, anything beyond this will only hurt your ability to run your memory at a high speed due to cpu limitation.

My SB-E is at 4.8ghz with memory at 2133 7-10-10-27 T1.
    I run 2 580 3gig classy's from evga 1000/2000gpu and 2300mem speed
    @ 2560x1600 resolution all settings maxed super sampling enabled
    In sanctum when its busy i see around 32-40 fps.
    this is not great but is very smooth and defiantly playable.
    Key things cpu speed, cpu cache speed and memory speed. Gpu limits can be lifted by reducing settings in game or lowering resolution. if you are seeing low cpu and gpu loads then you have a memory bottleneck.
    You should see around 80-90% gpu load most of the time. Cpu load should be 100% on primary core at all times (unless your at 99% gpu load).

I can run some specific test on other systems i have if you like just say what system you have and what settings you want me to use i can test and we can compare results.
    Last edited by Chris383; 08-04-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Rift Chaser

I have similar system to OP, except for powercolor pcs 7950, and the 1 thing that does boost my FPS, during invasions etc is setting vfxlimit=20 in rift.cfg files, basically it means I only see 20 spells on screen at anyone time compared to 750 spells which tbh is a bloody lightshow and horrible on my old eye lol

Telaran

Getting 32 fps with 4.8 ghz.... tells you something.... it's not the hardware, it's the game. Changing graphics to lowest doesn't do much... yet again it's the game not the hardware thats bad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast