+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RIFT & i3 Laptops

Default RIFT & i3 Laptops

My nephew is interested in online games and I'm wanting to introduce him to RIFT. I'm considering buying a Toshiba P745-S4102 for him but I'm not sure it will play the game acceptably. It has a Intel® 2nd Generation Core™ i3 processor with 6GB of RAM. The graphics card is the Intel® HD with 64 - 1696MB (shared) video memory.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Soulwalker

This laptop would really struggle to even run the game at low settings. Rift is fairly demanding, and to play a dedicated graphics card is kinda required. Though I expect using the Low quality renderer would allow you to play, the framerate would still be low and your experience not so great.

I spent $800 on an HP from Newegg that has an i7 and Radeon 6770m. It runs the game well enough. I'd guess a new i3 to cost around $400... so in that 400-800 ballpark, pick a better poison than an i3 with onboard graphics.

I'd say buy it! The fun in Rift is not playing it on ultra settings, that is just a nice bonus. I play on low quality renderer, even then rerly reach more than 12 fps and yet I still have fun.

You could also ask for his parents or any other family members to help and chip in a bit and buy it as a joint present so you could buy something along the line of five to six hundred pounds and get an i5 laptop.
    Capes
    Cloaks

Thoroar - Narcissia - Ricroar - Swimella
    I'm @Icewatch, /hug me!

+ Reply to Thread